Gravity is a Force !

Commander

The force is supplied by your bed preventing your body from moving along the geodesic.

What I find hard to understand about these geodesics is that there is not just one geodesic but an infinite number going through every point in space.

If Commander was in motion his geodesic would be different. but since he is lying there still it happens to be straight down to the center of the Earth, but he could have been in motion. So there is not just "the (one and only) geodesic" is there ?

So there is not just "the (one and only) geodesic" is there ?

But mathematically we know that (locally for sure) that given an initial position and an initial velocity the geodesic equation has a unique solution.

But mathematically we know that (locally for sure) that given an initial position and an initial velocity the geodesic equation has a unique solution.

So relating that to what I said that initial position is no different to any other position in space, but OK it where a mass is at a certain time, but that mass could be going in any direction, but you are right the path it takes can be calculated. So what convinces you there are geodesics?

So relating that to what I said that initial position is no different to any other position in space, but OK it where a mass is at a certain time, but that mass could be going in any direction, but you are right the path it takes can be calculated. So what convinces you there are geodesics?

Because they can be used to calculate the right result?

The path can be calculated, the path is a geodesic.

If the water falls and hits the turbine blades it transfers force and energy thereby !

If the water simply follows geodesic paths and does not actually have Energy how do you explain that ?

The force is supplied by your bed preventing your body from moving along the geodesic.

Two identical Springs have been Compressed into an identical shape.

One by a great stone following geodesic gravitational Curvature of the Potential Energy of the Stone.

The other by my Own Muscular Power - without drawing on my weight - say hand power.

Perhaps I expended some energy drawn from the metabolism of some Food content.

Explain the setup with Curvature of Space and Strings and what happens if the spring expands to :

Drive a Clock hands

Project a Bullet

Just release into Air or Water

What happens if it simply expands into Vacuum or Empty Space ?

Edited by Commander

So what convinces you there are geodesics?

I am not sure I understand your question, but... we can calculate geodesics and these correspond to the motion of test bodies under the influence of gravity alone very well. In short, general relativity is well tested, but much like the Lorentz force, geodesic motion as the equation of motion for test particles is added to general relativity.

If the water simply follows geodesic paths and does not actually have Energy how do you explain that ?

Who said that bodies moving under the influence of gravity do not posses energy?

Commander, perhaps this will help clear up your difficulty. It is imporant to understand what a geodesic is.

There are many types of geodesic.

From your (are you retired?) former profession you will have studied navigation and probably met geodesics as a geometrical line in cartography which minimises the distance between two points.

The geodesics here are not of this type.

They do not live in normal physical 3 dimensional space, they 'exist' in an abstract mathematical space with abstract mathematical axes.

They are defined as the line referred to these axes which minimises a particular mathematical expression.

Have you studied the calculus of variations?

You would need this for this type of geodesic.

You are a clever fellow and I'm sure you will be able to follow what I'm trying to say (sorry I didn't put it very well to start with) so ask again if you want me to expand on this.

Edited by studiot

Commander, perhaps this will help clear up your difficulty. It is imporant to understand what a geodesic is.

There are many types of geodesic.

From your (are you retired?) former profession you will have studied navigation and probably met geodesics as a geometrical line in cartography which minimises the distance between two points.

The geodesics here are not of this type.

They do not live in normal physical 3 dimensional space, they 'exist' in an abstract mathematical space with abstract mathematical axes.

They are defined as the line referred to these axes which minimises a particular mathematical expression.

Have you studied the calculus of variations?

You would need this for this type of geodesic.

You are a clever fellow and I'm sure you will be able to follow what I'm trying to say (sorry I didn't put it very well to start with) so ask again if you want me to expand on this.

Thank you Studiot,

What you said makes nice reading.

Yes, I will put in more efforts if required.

I also am thinking about the whole thing from different view point, angle and perspective.

Regards

Robbitybob

I think I need to go and see if I know what a geodesic really is.

Help is available at ScienceForums if you want it.

The name comes from cartography, and the cartographic explanation is the easiest to digest.

Edited by studiot

Help is available at ScienceForums if you want it.

The name comes from cartography, and the cartographic explanation is the easiest to digest.

There are two places I know of as Science Forums, which one? Scienceforums.net (this site) seems a well moderated place in my opinion.

Does the cartographic explanation and the way the word geodesic is used when talking of gravity match? I might have been thinking it was more just the ballistic path an object would take. Maybe you'd agree there are an infinite number of ballistic paths through any point, but let's see if there are fewer geodesics and how they differ.

Take out your basket ball measure the shortest distance between two points.

There is your geodesic on a curved manifold

Now I get it; you are talking about two points on the surface on the ball, not between any two points.

Robbitybob

Does the cartographic explanation and the way the word geodesic is used when talking of gravity match?

All geodesics have the same common idea. It's just that Mathematicians & Physicists have extended the idea from the original cartographic one.

Mordred

Take out your basket ball measure the shortest distance between two points.

There is your geodesic on a curved manifold

This is indeed a cartographic geodesic (for want of a better term)

It is not a geodesic in the externsion of the term to Hamilton/Lagrange mechanics and General Relativity.

A ballistic trajectory is one thing any geodesic most definitely is not.

See what you make of my post 10

All geodesics have the same common idea. It's just that Mathematicians & Physicists have extended the idea from the original cartographic one.

This is indeed a cartographic geodesic (for want of a better term)

It is not a geodesic in the externsion of the term to Hamilton/Lagrange mechanics and General Relativity.

A ballistic trajectory is one thing any geodesic most definitely is not.

See what you make of my post 10

Looking at one site :http://www.astronomynotes.com/relativity/s3.htm

Light travels along the shortest path between two points in spacetime (a geodesic). If the geodesic is curved, then the path of light is curved. Einstein proposed in his General Relativity theory that what is called gravity is really the result of curved spacetime.

but if light follows the geodesic, will a mass orbiting a star at the same distance be following a different curvature? I would say between two points in space there is only 1 geodesic but I have yet to be convinced that light and a massive object will follow exactly the same path between those two points.

Do you think there is only one gravitationally induced path? I.e between a distant star and the Earth, if light takes a path as it grazes past the Sun it is deflected by a very small angle. Do you think a rocket ship could follow the same geodesic? That doesn't sound right to me!

Edited by Robittybob1

The manifold in cartographic geodisics is a surface in normal xyz space.

The manifold in other forms of geodesic is not in xyz space, but in some lagrangian dimensional space.

Further the cartographer's geodesic path minimises the distance function through the manifold, whereas other geodiscs may minimise some other function.

The manifold in cartographic geodisics is a surface in normal xyz space.

The manifold in other forms of geodesic is not in xyz space, but in some lagrangian dimensional space.

Further the cartographer's geodesic path minimises the distance function through the manifold, whereas other geodiscs may minimise some other function.

I must admit the equations for the gravitational geodesics are not easy to understand. I want to understand it but someone will have to explain the maths in words before I'll ever get it.

Previously you said "A ballistic trajectory is one thing any geodesic most definitely is not", but isn't a rocket orbiting the Earth an extreme case of a ballistic trajectory?

No gravity is controlled by the mass of the objects near it. For instance I am not heavier than the planet hence I am dragged to the ground. An apple falls from a tree etc. of course any centripetal force exerted by the planet on us also has to be taken into account so it is not gravity alone that acts upon us but a culmination of many forces. there is wind resistance to be taken into account for instance this would be why a feather falls faster than a cannonball. By gravity alone both fall at the same rate but with wind resistance a feather falls slower

Edited by fiveworlds

So was that a yes or a no?

Of course that was an yes !

If the water falls and hits the turbine blades it transfers force and energy thereby !

Two identical Springs have been Compressed into an identical shape.

One by a great stone following geodesic gravitational Curvature of the Potential Energy of the Stone.

The other by my Own Muscular Power - without drawing on my weight - say hand power.

Perhaps I expended some energy drawn from the metabolism of some Food content.

Explain the setup with Curvature of Space and Strings and what happens if the spring expands to :

Drive a Clock hands

Project a Bullet

Just release into Air or Water

What happens if it simply expands into Vacuum or Empty Space ?

Yes, as I had indicated I am thinking of a new explanation for this phenomenon under consideration with all Accepted Theories [supported by perceivable evidence] and proposed explanation about multi-dimensional imaginary projections with mathematical supporting Equations ! [which is quite hard for many questioning minds to simply accept and for many pragmatists and logical minds to follow all the steps involved]

Of course my proposal was after years of thinking and imagination. However I have not still worked out the Mathematical Supporting Arguments fully.

I can anticipate that any new, out-of-box ideas in this area will have to face, Opposition by Believers of existing Science, Questions for proof and clarity and total ironing out of allied philosophies, Counter-Theories and Opposite Views etc and therefore I did not put it up here and had a second thought.

Therefore, after putting up my Main Point of Contentions I have edited/modified/deleted my proposal from the thread "Everything is unique !"

However I have a hunch that everything that has been posted here are archived and therefore even after editing and modifying every time-stamped states of these posts are recorded.

I request the Moderators to clarify on this as to who all can have access to all Posts and Archives of Modifications ! Also, deleted attachments !!

Thank you Moderators,

[especially imatfaal, Phi for All & Swansont]

Regards

PS : This will help me in my further interactions !

Edited by Commander

!

Moderator Note

MomentTheory, keep your posts on topic.

Commander, as far as I know, once you edit your posts, that's it. They aren't saved. However, you might want to check with an admin. They are much more involved in that aspect of site maintenance than we lowly moderators. If you have any other questions about this, please PM someone.

!

Moderator Note

MomentTheory, keep your posts on topic.

Commander, as far as I know, once you edit your posts, that's it. They aren't saved. However, you might want to check with an admin. They are much more involved in that aspect of site maintenance than we lowly moderators. If you have any other questions about this, please PM someone.

Hi, hypervalent_iodine,

TY so much.

Regards

Thomas