Donald Trump

dimreepr

Pretty much the whole world knows now.

Trump had a meeting with candidate for Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, Kris Koback, this weekend at the Trump estate. Kobach took the plan into his meeting with Trump and left it on the outside of his folder facing outward for all to see when that meeting was finished. Photographers grabbed a photo of his plan for the first year and now it's everywhere for all to see (link below).

I don't know about you, but I'm feeling all safe and secure already and am glad we finally have people who know what they're doing taking the reigns of power and control. :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/schezar/status/800772691531808768/photo/1

thanks for sharing :(

Trump had a meeting with candidate for Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, Kris Koback, this weekend at the Trump estate. Kobach took the plan into his meeting with Trump and left it on the outside of his folder facing outward for all to see when that meeting was finished. Photographers grabbed a photo of his plan for the first year and now it's everywhere for all to see (link below).

I don't know about you, but I'm feeling all safe and secure already and am glad we finally have people who know what they're doing taking the reigns of power and control. :rolleyes:

Good grief.

At least he didn't use a personal email server to share risotto recipes.

Looks like he is going to follow through on what he said on the campaign trail. I don't see anything new on that list. Do you? No classified markings on the document. What's the big deal?

Since his election, I've tried to avoid all media reports and thoughts on the prospect of Trump's presidency. The idea is just too depressing and a very disappointing reflection of our electorate's intelligence. In the past, I've commented against the idea of an Electoral College but it seems a necessity evil given the nature of democracy as this assessment of Socrates perspective on democracy attests. As I understand and this video link explores, Socrates hated democracy.

Edited by DrmDoc

"Trump says leaving "business in total" to focus on presidency and avoid perceived conflict of interest"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38155141

This seems like fairly unalloyed good news(taken on its own merits) but the question arises why did it take so long for the penny to drop for Trump?

One hypothesis is that he must have a strong emotional attachment to his business and will feel "cut adrift" without this interest.

Having a part time President was concerning in the first place Another question that arises (if he carries through on this promise) is whether he is up to learning the skills of his new job.

I previously wondered if he might be an example of the Peter Principle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

Not that I am accepting his spiel about being "smart" but I think it would (barring him and his team completely losing the run of themselves) be in everyone's interest if he was to have some kind of a proficiency in his new job (debatable perhaps).

I do worry about the mental heath of a President who has to forego a huge chunk of his daily routine to take up a post for which he may be (on his own terms) quite unsuited.

@geordief, nothing Trump says matters. Trump often says things and then changes course later. We all must wait and see what happens. I don't even mean that in a partisan anti Trump way. It is just a matter of record that what he says doesn't matter.

That needs to be learned out of him. If he doesn't carry through then it is another example of him disgracing the office (well he has only disgraced the democratic system so far),.

If he does the it may bring up the "spare time" problem if he is fundamentally unsuited to his "new job".

He announced that he is doing something that could be a step he obviously needs to take.

However, I think it is is just as likely, if not more so, that he is simply doing what he already said he was going to do, and will be legally signing over control of his business to his children.

Which, come on. That'd be George "They can't try a husband and wife for the same crime" Bluth levels of legal maneuvering.

Since that's what I'm expecting to actually happen, I'm holding off on the celebrations until I see what it is he is actually signing.

If that happens will it be so transparent as make his reelection (or the election of Republican candidates in two years time) much harder?

That ,and the likelihood that his supporters may see no benefit from his Presidency.

What "red meat" has he to offer them really?

What about this election campaign makes you think a completely transparent attempt to avoid looking like he has conflicts of interest without doing anything to actually negate those conflicts of interest makes you think that is an issue anyone would be swayed by in terms of whether or not to vote for him?

I am hoping that his supporters will tire of his novelty effect (and any lack of real product) and come to look upon such obvious failings more dispassionately.

They only scraped through this time and so are perhaps extremely vulnerable on that count to things tipping the other way.

You asked me why I thought this issue would sway voters. and I gave you an answer(perhaps your question was rhetorical?).

Do you think this should sway voters but that on past record it is unlikely to do so?

In support of my assertion- rather a question - why do you think Trump is doing (or attempting to seem like he is doing this)? Does he/his advisors not recognize a vulnerability with the electorate?

Edited by geordief

Yes, they identified a potential attack and are taking this step in order to neutralize it. My contention is that they will likely be successful in doing so because anyone who tries to point out the conflicts of interest from this point on will be lying due to the fact that Trump "legally separated himself from his businesses."

Isn't the "actual conflict of interest" (if it becomes obvious ) easier to understand than what could be perceived as a "mealy mouthed" defense of his position?

Personally ,I couldn't give two hoots if he kept his business empire so long as it did not interfere with the office.

That picture of his daughter in law in on the meeting with the Japanese PM made me cringe( as does the involvement of his close family full stop)

That family thing looks like it might be a timebomb ready to go off in the background . Are families supposed to be lovey dovey all the time ?

Ivanka is his actual daughter.

In any case, it's not how easy to understand the situations are. It's that there is an attack, and now there is a defense of that attack. All you need is a one-sentence justification of what people would like to believe and you can mostly insulate them from worrying too much about any attempts to contradict it.

Mostly because the majority of political issues just aren't that important to most people. Most issues feel fairly removed from any direct personal impact on daily life and a lot of people simply don't have the time or energy to delve any deeper than the surface level of anything that doesn't directly and very obviously have an impact on them.

Yes, they are.

Yeah, this is one thing I don't find especially weird or have a problem with.

Especially since we, by definition, only ever see them in public. It's not like they're going to bicker with a camera on them even if they did privately have an argument about something. That would take a special level of dysfunction for a family who is used to being in the public eye.

No I think you may have misunderstood my idiom*

I meant how realistic is it to expect that things are "lovey dovey" under the surface ?

Not is it normal or not to put on an act in public?

That is quite normal but families do fall out in private and so I doubt it is good for them to be too closely involved with the actual job.

Apart from the fact they are unelected.

*"are they supposed to be " can have the sense of "are they likely to be" ,can't it?

Edited by geordief

Power does not uncorrupt corrupt people. I keep seeing pundits and media figures saying that the weight, pressure, responsibility,or whatever of the Oval office will make Trump shift and become more reasonable. It is a dangerous notion in my opinion. I cannot think of a single example of a corrupt politician/leader who was so humbled by the success of their lies and fear mongering that they became honest and trustworthy.

Power does not uncorrupt corrupt people. I keep seeing pundits and media figures saying that the weight, pressure, responsibility,or whatever of the Oval office will make Trump shift and become more reasonable. It is a dangerous notion in my opinion. I cannot think of a single example of a corrupt politician/leader who was so humbled by the success of their lies and fear mongering that they became honest and trustworthy.

I thought the idea was that,confronted with the realities of the job his positions would shift from rhetoric(if they deserve that characterization) to more practical stances (both regarding policies and re -election ,which he may come to devoutly not wish for)

I doubt he will change as a person but he will surely have to adapt to changed circumstances.

Trump may receive phone calls from important public figures, such as Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Angela Merkel, or someone Trump actually respects who will say to him, "Hello Donald, WTF are you doing?!! Are you fxxxing mad? Climate change is here and it is real!!" Donald may only understand blunt talk from someone he respects.

Business owners get to be dictators in their empire, but the office of POTUS is NOT a business. Trump may flip flop, but only after he gets yelled at and cussed out. The reason for this is because as a dictator, and the biggest frog in his pond, he has gotten away with cussing out his employees. I was the bookkeeper for a short, old man who owned a small restaurant and because everybody had to say "YES" to him he was an unbearable dictator. Since I was also the HR guy, many employees complained to me. In 10 years I watched him skim off over $1,000,000 of revenues tax free (no sales tax, no income tax, no city tax), but I could not say anything about it. Finally he got into trouble for being too abusive of the men and sexually harassing the women. He was well hated. He was removed from his position and his daughter took over. Interesting none of his waiters were women, because they would be sexually harassed.

Edited by Airbrush

Trump may receive phone calls from important public figures, such as Bill Gates, Angela Merkel, or someone Trump actually respects who will say to him, "Hello Donald, WTF are you doing?!! Are you fxxxing mad?" Donald may only understand blunt force. Business owners get to be dictators in their empire, but the POTUS is not a business. Then Trump may flip flop, but only after he gets yelled and cussed out.

Do you really think Donald Trump cares about being yelled at and cussed out?

Trump may receive phone calls from important public figures, such as Bill Gates, Angela Merkel, or someone Trump actually respects who will say to him, "Hello Donald, WTF are you doing?!! Are you fxxxing mad? Climate change is here and it is real!!" Donald may only understand blunt talk.

Business owners get to be dictators in their empire, but the office of POTUS is NOT a business. Then Trump may flip flop, but only after he gets yelled at and cussed out. The reason for this is because as a dictator, and the biggest frog in his pond, he has gotten away with cussing out his employees. I was the bookkeeper for a short, old man who owned a small restaurant and because everybody had to say "YES" to him he was an unbearable dictator. In 10 years he skimmed off over $1,000,000 of revenues, but I could not say anything about it. Finally he got into trouble for being too abusive of the men and sexually harassing the women. He was removed from his position and his daughter took over. Interesting none of his waiters were women, I wonder why? Because they would be sexually harassed, that's why.

I don't agree with waitforufo very often, but yeah, none of that is going to happen.

Yelling at Trump is just going to piss him off and make him attack you. He's not someone who has much of a track record when it comes to contrition.

Flattery, complements and suggestions are going to be the only effective tool for getting him to listen to you. Yelling at him is going to do fuck all.