Microsoft admits to paying white men less than everyone else

fiveworlds

At Microsoft, we are committed to the principle of pay equity, which accounts for factors that legitimately influence total pay including things like job title, level and tenure. As of September 2023:

Inside the U.S., all racial and ethnic minority groups who are rewards-eligible combined earn $1.007 total pay for every $1.000 earned by U.S. rewards-eligible white employees with the same job title and level and considering tenure.

Inside the U.S., women who are rewards-eligible earn $1.007 total pay for every $1.000 earned by rewards-eligible employees who are men and have the same job title and level, and considering tenure; outside the U.S., women who are rewards-eligible earn $1.003 total pay for every $1.000 earned by rewards-eligible employees who are men and have the same job title and level, and considering tenure.

How is this not blatant discrimination and racism?

1 hour ago, fiveworlds said:

At Microsoft, we are committed to the principle of pay equity, which accounts for factors that legitimately influence total pay including things like job title, level and tenure. As of September 2023:

Inside the U.S., all racial and ethnic minority groups who are rewards-eligible combined earn $1.007 total pay for every $1.000 earned by U.S. rewards-eligible white employees with the same job title and level and considering tenure.

Inside the U.S., women who are rewards-eligible earn $1.007 total pay for every $1.000 earned by rewards-eligible employees who are men and have the same job title and level, and considering tenure; outside the U.S., women who are rewards-eligible earn $1.003 total pay for every $1.000 earned by rewards-eligible employees who are men and have the same job title and level, and considering tenure.

How is this not blatant discrimination and racism?

“we”

Do you represent Microsoft?

Can you provide a link?

edit: nvm, I did your work for you

https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2023/11/01/microsofts-2023-diversity-and-inclusion-report-a-decade-of-transparency-commitment-and-progress/

“Inside the U.S., all racial and ethnic minority groups who are rewards-eligible combined earn $1.007 total pay for every $1.000 earned by U.S. rewards-eligible white employees with the same job title and level and considering tenure.”

There’s a bit to unpack here. rewards-eligible presumably means performance-based awards, meaning that ethnic minorities could have just earned a smidgin more in bonuses by doing more and/or better work. Their base pay could even be less, and bonuses just more than make up the difference.

No smoking gun of discrimination there.

“same job title and level and considering tenure” does not preclude the possibility that more white workers have been promoted, leaving the mediocre performers behind, while the better-performing minorities are passed over. It doesn’t mean this is the case - it means we don’t have enough data to evaluate the situation. But see the above comment about bonuses.

Manufactured outrage.

Just now, CharonY said:

Even if not, a swing of 0.3-0.7 % looks like random noise to me. The only outrage here seems to be that the swing is not consistently toward the white male segment.

0.7% for the same work, and years with the company including foreign countries.

White Men can be single fathers too they have the same bills as everyone else. Everyone should get the same regardless of race or gender.

11 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Even if not, a swing of 0.3-0.7 % looks like random noise to me. The only outrage here seems to be that the swing is not consistently toward the white male segment.

Outrageous! Out with the pitch forks. Good point with it probably being noise. The one time statistics show ethnic minorities have a (slight) statistical advantage, a white person kicks off. 

Edited by StringJunky

4 minutes ago, fiveworlds said:

White Men can be single fathers too they have the same bills as everyone else. Everyone should get the same regardless of race or gender.

Where were you all those years women and minorities were suing Microsoft for gender and racial based inequities and getting nowhere? https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/11/18304536/microsoft-women-discrimination-harassment-complaints

"Specifically, Black people represent 8% of total millionaires in the U.S., 76% are white, 8% are Asian, and the Hispanic community captures 7% of the total millionaire population across the country" - Forbes

That is not the whole population, but it is indicative of the potential of each group reaching millionaire status. There is a yawning gap.

Edited by StringJunky

I appreciate what you're attempting to convey, String Junky, but you're playing fast and loose with statistics.

Black population of the US is about 50 Million, or approx 15 %, so, while there is a great divide that needs addressing, it is not of the magnitude you indicate.
IOW, you cannot have equal numbers of millionaires, because numbers of Blacks and non-Blacks are not equal.

You don't include a source so I don't know which year the Forbes article gives data for.
The Black population of the US was 36 Million 24 years ago, or approx 11% of total population.

Per capita numbers/percentages would better illustrate the situation.

As for Microsoft's numbers, I would guess they are close enough, and I applaud their transparency.
Other companies should do the same.
( even though Bill turned out to be a bit of a misogynist )

49 minutes ago, MigL said:

I appreciate what you're attempting to convey, String Junky, but you're playing fast and loose with statistics.

Black population of the US is about 50 Million, or approx 15 %, so, while there is a great divide that needs addressing, it is not of the magnitude you indicate.
IOW, you cannot have equal numbers of millionaires, because numbers of Blacks and non-Blacks are not equal.

You don't include a source so I don't know which year the Forbes article gives data for.
The Black population of the US was 36 Million 24 years ago, or approx 11% of total population.

Per capita numbers/percentages would better illustrate the situation.

As for Microsoft's numbers, I would guess they are close enough, and I applaud their transparency.
Other companies should do the same.
( even though Bill turned out to be a bit of a misogynist )

Good point. I forgot per capita.

On 2/26/2024 at 1:04 PM, StringJunky said:

Outrageous! Out with the pitch forks. Good point with it probably being noise. The one time statistics show ethnic minorities have a (slight) statistical advantage, a white person kicks off. 

Yeah and only adjusted for similar positions. In some of the lawsuits specifically the lack of advancement was criticized, so there is a bit of an open question that is not clearly addressed in that snippet. But yeah it is a perception isn't it? If if the balance is in favour of the dominant group, others have just to work harder to catch up. But if the balance does not do a hard break at parity, then the world is collapsing.

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2024 at 1:58 PM, fiveworlds said:

Single "white" father here, to a 3 year old girl who will one day have expenses related to her biological sex that I as a man will never have. Even if I exclude feminine hygiene products, she will pay more for haircuts, clothes, shampoos, she will be expected by society to purchase and wear make-up, she will need a gynecologist and the list goes on. 

So to be clear, guy's don't have the same bills that women do. Fact. If anything, women ought to be paid more than men because the cost of living for them is way higher. Just my 0.007 cents. 

Edited by MSC
Funnier ending