I'm gonna make this clear. Someone is using a definition of "trolling" that I'm not familiar with.

Got this in my email:
image.png.9f48bb8792114d6f9d66e80ffba00e0e.png

First, I saw this joke from TheVat from this thread:

I thought his squirrel joke was funny, so I laughed at it with a squirrel image macro:

image.png.608aae0340a132d3b7a296e7205002d2.png

..................and somehow that was "TROLLING."

Now I don't know which windmill who was tilting at and I frankly don't give a flip, but unless someone was using some obscure meaning of the term "TROLLING" that I was (as still am) utterly unfamiliar with, there was no "TROLLING."

Laughing at someone's joke isn't "TROLLING," and I've no idea where this nonsensical "rebellion" label came from either (again, don't know what they're on about, and don't care either).

No one was taking that joke of a topic seriously at that point, and ironically only got serious when some mod got serious about it.

I wasn't pooping anyone's good time in this little social club. Call a spade a spade- If you don't like image macros then just say so; Don't accuse me of doing something I didn't do.

If only that were the only post you’d ever made here then perhaps the total failure to consider any context and broader historical posting trends might be more appropriate. But alas, you have made more than one post. 

It was not just one post; this was merely the straw that broke the camel’s back. Your previous responses in the thread were flippant. You answered yes to a question and when you were asked for a citation you simply posted a picture of a magic 8-ball showing ‘yes’

Despite your claim here, there were serious responses in the thread.

Elsewhere you had posted a stock discussion in quantum theory. You’ve posted pictures in other threads that did not contribute to the discussion. I recall trying to give you feedback about this, which you rejected.

We reached saturation with that behavior. You can learn from it, or not

Definition:

Trolling - anti-social behavior characteristic of online discussion forums and social media,  consisting of posting controversial, harassing, often untrue content in order to draw attention to oneself or to provoke, ridicule or offend other users[1][2]. The person responsible for publishing such messages is referred to as a "troll"[3].

Etymology:

The term "trolling" comes from trolling for fish - a method of catching fish with a hook, spinner,[4] because a troll "drops the hook" by bringing up a controversial topic, often unnecessarily, to cause an argument. By backward etymology, practitioners of trolling have been called trolls (from the legendary and fairy-tale creatures of Norse mythologies).

18 hours ago, AIkonoklazt said:

I wasn't pooping anyone's good time in this little social club. Call a spade a spade- If you don't like image macros then just say so; Don't accuse me of doing something I didn't do.

By now it should be pretty clear to you that the type of behavior you exhibit is not appreciated here and will result in pushback. Either change your behavior or accept the response you get. If we have to put up with what you post then you have to put up with how we respond. Whining about it in a separate thread is waste of time.

On 1/21/2024 at 7:19 PM, zapatos said:

By now it should be pretty clear to you that the type of behavior you exhibit is not appreciated here and will result in pushback. Either change your behavior or accept the response you get. If we have to put up with what you post then you have to put up with how we respond. Whining about it in a separate thread is waste of time.

+1

That about covers it, he sure didn't respond with reasoned arguments...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 11:19 AM, zapatos said:

I didn't troll. That was the fact. Call it whatever you want.

On 1/20/2024 at 4:39 PM, swansont said:

It was not just one post; this was merely the straw that broke the camel’s back. Your previous responses in the thread were flippant. You answered yes to a question and when you were asked for a citation you simply posted a picture of a magic 8-ball showing ‘yes’

Despite your claim here, there were serious responses in the thread.

Elsewhere you had posted a stock discussion in quantum theory. You’ve posted pictures in other threads that did not contribute to the discussion. I recall trying to give you feedback about this, which you rejected.

We reached saturation with that behavior. You can learn from it, or not

Excuse me? I didn't start "a stock discussion in quantum theory". It was someone else who started the thread. I didn't give it a serious response.

I posted pictures of FSM in response to a thread regarding proving something metaphysical, which is nonsense. I made my point of how that was nonsense, using FSM.

I don't have to learn that people willingly accuse me of things I didn't do; I know this.

2 hours ago, AIkonoklazt said:

I didn't troll. That was the fact. Call it whatever you want.

Excuse me? I didn't start "a stock discussion in quantum theory". It was someone else who started the thread. I didn't give it a serious response.

I posted pictures of FSM in response to a thread regarding proving something metaphysical, which is nonsense. I made my point of how that was nonsense, using FSM.

I don't have to learn that people willingly accuse me of things I didn't do; I know this.

You know what they say about duck's???

2 hours ago, AIkonoklazt said:

FWIW, I didn't think your posts fit any definition of trolling, but were just in that gray area where some members are rubbed the wrong way.  I didn't mind them, and a couple seemed to me to be misunderstood by mods, like when one cross-referenced another thread.  (I can't take time to reconstruct all this)  My take is that a lot of humor is subjective, that off-topic stuff usually goes down best when a little thread relevance is mixed in, and that members who have specialized knowledge (as you do, in IT and cognitive science) usually get some wiggle room if they keep contributing their expertise.  And maybe you can add a little more text to pictures (for those who don't get the point visually).  I've been guilty of the same thing but so far have gotten away with it.  So, again, there's a lot of subjective aspect to how posts message.

1 hour ago, TheVat said:

FWIW, I didn't think your posts fit any definition of trolling, but were just in that gray area where some members are rubbed the wrong way.  I didn't mind them, and a couple seemed to me to be misunderstood by mods, like when one cross-referenced another thread.  (I can't take time to reconstruct all this)  My take is that a lot of humor is subjective, that off-topic stuff usually goes down best when a little thread relevance is mixed in, and that members who have specialized knowledge (as you do, in IT and cognitive science) usually get some wiggle room if they keep contributing their expertise.  And maybe you can add a little more text to pictures (for those who don't get the point visually).  I've been guilty of the same thing but so far have gotten away with it.  So, again, there's a lot of subjective aspect to how posts message.

But it is kinda birdlike...

5 hours ago, AIkonoklazt said:

My mistake.

5 hours ago, AIkonoklazt said:

You don’t get to derail a thread just because you decide it’s nonsense. 

1 hour ago, swansont said:

You don’t get to derail a thread just because you decide it’s nonsense. 

Okay. It's fair that you're taking it that way. However, I was making a point with FSM macros. As for the two History Channel image macros, I admit I was making fun of the original poster. I won't make fun of people with image macros anymore.

3 hours ago, TheVat said:

I understand that the point is "no shenanigans unless you're making a point." I'll respect that. However............ People WERE derailing MY machine consciousness thread that I was being dead serious about, but anyhow, I'm shrugging that off now. Thanks.

4 hours ago, AIkonoklazt said:

I understand that the point is "no shenanigans unless you're making a point." I'll respect that. However............ People WERE derailing MY machine consciousness thread that I was being dead serious about, but anyhow, I'm shrugging that off now. Thanks.

IIRC you were insisting on a certain viewpoint without supporting the position, another behavior that’s frowned upon (as in, soapboxing is against the rules). 

The bottom line is that staff felt the reports that were filed on your posts were valid. 

6 hours ago, zapatos said:

Thanks. I think I'll call it trolling.

I'll call it tilting at windmills because I didn't try to piss people off

3 hours ago, swansont said:

IIRC you were insisting on a certain viewpoint without supporting the position, another behavior that’s frowned upon (as in, soapboxing is against the rules). 

The bottom line is that staff felt the reports that were filed on your posts were valid. 

I don't know which instance of which thing that's referring to.

On 2/1/2024 at 6:53 PM, zapatos said:

You also didn't try to avoid doing so.

If you're saying anything like "you didn't avoid trolling" then you're indeed using some definition of the term "trolling" that I'm not familiar with.

How much sense does the phrase "you didn't avoid trying to piss people off" make? No. Seriously. What the heck, man. Either I tried, or I DIDN'T... and I DIDN'T.

45 minutes ago, AIkonoklazt said:

responding and not letting the response be what WAS going to be the last response

Oh, goody.
A contest to see who can get the last word in ...
( and I would like to insist that this is NOT trolling )

Edited by MigL

On 2/4/2024 at 7:11 PM, MigL said:

Oh, goody.
A contest to see who can get the last word in ...
( and I would like to insist that this is NOT trolling )

it wouldn't be, because you're not trying to make me mad(?)

(Really; I want to know which definition people are using because at this point, I don't know.)

Okay this is the Cambridge one:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/trolling

..."Annoy" would be a rather low threshold, but it would still involve trying, right?

Question of the day: Did Hinton just troll Marcus?? https://garymarcus.substack.com/p/deconstructing-geoffrey-hintons-weakest

Edited by AIkonoklazt
mistype. "it wouldn't be"

6 hours ago, AIkonoklazt said:

it wouldn't be, because you're not trying to make me mad(?)

(Really; I want to know which definition people are using because at this point, I don't know.)

Okay this is the Cambridge one:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/trolling

..."Annoy" would be a rather low threshold, but it would still involve trying, right?

Question of the day: Did Hinton just troll Marcus?? https://garymarcus.substack.com/p/deconstructing-geoffrey-hintons-weakest

It's a little self indulgent, if you imagine that anyone who disagrees with you just want to annoy you...

I really don't care what you think, but it's fun when I think I've won a meaningless game; it's why we have moderator's, they're trying to protect you from yourself...

Truth be told, I was taking a poke at his attitude.

I guess if was to do it repeatedly, or start a separate thread on that specific subject, it would make me a troll ?

( oops, I did it again ,,, )