Prove my existence

13 hours ago, Just wondering said:

Prove to me that I exist. What can be said to make one believe that anything exists at all? Is there any solid proof that this is real?

The best we can offer is to have an intersubjective agreement that you or anything exists outside of our individual internal spaces.

Intersubjectivity" is a term coined by social scientists as a short-hand description for a variety of human interactions. For example, social psychologists Alex Gillespie and Flora Cornish list at least six definitions of intersubjectivity (and other disciplines have additional definitions).[1]

"Intersubjectivity" has been used in social science to refer to agreement. There is "intersubjectivity" between people if they agree on a given set of meanings or a definition of the situation. Similarly, Thomas Scheff defines "intersubjectivity" as "the sharing of subjective states by two or more individuals."[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersubjectivity

Edited by StringJunky

I would say you need to do a little internet research. Maybe start with,

Cogito ergo sum is a Latin philosophical proposition by René Descartes usually translated into English as "I think, therefore I am". "Wikipedia"

You can never be one hundred present certain of anything. Anything is possible the real question is the probability.

Take me, I'm a artificially intelligent toaster oven. Your all part of my elaborate dream.

18 minutes ago, Akmose said:

I would say you need to do a little internet research. Maybe start with,

Cogito ergo sum is a Latin philosophical proposition by René Descartes usually translated into English as "I think, therefore I am". "Wikipedia"

You can never be one hundred present certain of anything. Anything is possible the real question is the probability.

Take me, I'm a artificially intelligent toaster oven. Your all part of my elaborate dream.

The OP's scenario is from a different perspective i.e. not 'Do I exist?', but 'Do they exist?'.

10 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

The OP's scenario is from a different perspective i.e. not 'Do I exist?', but 'Do they exist?'.

I think the first question is prove I exist.

14 hours ago, Just wondering said:

Prove to me that I exist. What can be said to make one believe that anything exists at all? Is there any solid proof that this is real?

The last part of my reply was more inline with the last two questions.

5 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Yes, but your reply was to the subjective 'I think therefore...' His question pertained to him from our perspective. Prove that he exists.

The only way to prove to him that he exists is to have him prove it to himself. He must learn go see his own doubts and thoughts as proof.

There is no answer anyone could provide that would be believed by him.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

6 minutes ago, Akmose said:

The only way to prove to him that he exists is to have him prove it to himself. He must learn go see his own doubts and thoughts as proof.

There is no answer anyone could provide that would be believed by him.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

My earlier offering is basically the 'scientific method' in different words. We can only go on the preponderance of evidence and besides, 'proof' is for mathematicians.

6 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

My earlier offering is basically the 'scientific method' in different words. We can only go on the preponderance of evidence and besides, 'proof' is for mathematicians.

I feel that it doesn't matter anyways. I don't see OP still on the board. 

Maybe the topic and replys will help someone else who stumbles on to it.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:45 AM, Just wondering said:

Prove to me that I exist. 

I can take a photo and show it to you.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:45 AM, Just wondering said:

What can be said to make one believe that anything exists at all? Is there any solid proof that this is real?

The fact that you use words that our ears or eyes can observe 'proofs' your existence since words have an origin. We life in a sense in an agreed upon reality.

Our senses enable us to be self aware.

7 minutes ago, Itoero said:

I can take a photo and show it to you.

The fact that you use words that our ears or eyes can observe 'proofs' your existence since words have an origin. We life in a sense in an agreed upon reality.

Our senses enable us to be self aware.

As I said earlier, it's based on intersubjective consensus

• 4 weeks later...

Your question shows that you exist, though  we can't see you.

Basically, the object that shows itself by a sign, it proves that it exists. Non-existences haven't any sign and track. For example, black holes in the space are not visible at all but scientists can recognize their existence by their side effects. So the existence of every thing whether visible (like you) or invisible (like air) is recognized by the effects that are issued from it.  

Edited by Mans

13 minutes ago, Mans said:

Your question shows that you exist, though  we can't see you.

...what with A.I., A.G.I, chat bots etc. etc.. ? ;)

i.e. you write to them asking question, and they try to reply the best as they can answer your question..

Intelligent enough A.I. would/should ask similar question "do I exist?"..

In 3D games you are all the time walking around the world and hearing that in-game AI are talking to each other about various things (usually having connection to 'mission' of the player).. But ATM they have very basic responses. Discussion with them easily reveals their shortcomings.  But that is the way they were (lousy) programmed by the creators.

The imaginary characters in a game are like the characters in a dream. They don't exist in the real world as a touchable existence, but they sometimes are representations of the real characters.

I believe the philosophical question is how you can ask such a question.

I believe the answer to the question is that you can't prove it any more than you can prove there is, was, always has been, or will be a conscious Creator of all things.  

I believe there are only two options for answering the question; first you can establish definitions and protocols to define a logical means to study your environment which factors out beliefs and perspectives.  Or second you can take your existence and the existence of all things that are apparent as being axiomatic pending establishment through theory derived from observation and logic.   I believe the first option is what we call "science" and the second is the way animals thrive, live,  and progress.   

14 minutes ago, cladking said:

I believe the philosophical question is how you can ask such a question.

I believe the answer to the question is that you can't prove it any more than you can prove there is, was, always has been, or will be a conscious Creator of all things.  

I believe there are only two options for answering the question; first you can establish definitions and protocols to define a logical means to study your environment which factors out beliefs and perspectives.  Or second you can take your existence and the existence of all things that are apparent as being axiomatic pending establishment through theory derived from observation and logic.   I believe the first option is what we call "science" and the second is the way animals thrive, live,  and progress.   

theirs always a third...