Question: Science and intuition...

The_Questioner

I think some of you have heard of this weird-haired clownish science dude, called Einstein?
No, that' was not the question, no.

Einstein had a few remarkable things to say about intuition.

And not just Einstein!

Yet, when you say something that you intuitively feel is right, it gets questioned, ridiculed, or otherwise badly reacted upon.
Why is that, I wonder...?

Edited by The_Questioner

12 minutes ago, The_Questioner said:

I think some of you have heard of this weird-haired clownish science dude, called Einstein?

And not just Einstein!

Yet, when you say something that you intuitively feel is right, it gets questioned, ridiculed, or otherwise badly reacted upon.

Take 7 billion people...We may have 7 billion "personal intuitive thoughts"....Some will be incredibly enlightening and beneficial for mankind...some will be highly imaginative and desirable...some will be immoral and totally evil.....some will be, well absolutely crazy in the extreme. 

30 minutes ago, The_Questioner said:

And not just Einstein!

Einstein never presented his intuition in the raw unrefined, unevidenced state to his peers, as many noobs do here. 

1 hour ago, The_Questioner said:

Einstein never claimed his theories were correct because of intuition and no one else accepted them because of intuition.

Apart from that, you might have a good point. Remind me, what was it?

3 hours ago, The_Questioner said:

And not just Einstein!

Even Einstein's intuition led him astray from time to time.  He was never happy with some of the aspects of Quantum Mechanics, his intuition told him that the universe just couldn't work that way.  He even came up with some thought experiments that he felt showed that QM could produce results that didn't make sense.  But when actual experiments based on those thought experiments were performed, the results that Einstein thought didn't make sense turned out to be the actual way things worked.

43 minutes ago, The_Questioner said:

I encounter this a lot, oddly, it always turns out as I predicted.

I can tell you why. The scientific method goes out of its way to remove the influences of subjectivity, guesswork, gut-feelings, intuition, and anything else that might taint information used in its conclusions. That's why it's been so successful. It's a plodding, methodical process and what you're suggesting amounts to Wild West guesswork and uninformed leaps at vague insights. Why wouldn't people of science object to the way you revere something they try so hard to remove? 

Uninformed intuition is about as useful as tossing a handful of seeds into your garden plot, not knowing how many will sprout weeds.