A hundred hypotheses on light

It would take ages to dig up a hundred different ideas on what light actually is. So help if you can!

Lets keep it to a very short paragraph of 2-4 sentences, assuming everyone knows everything about particle physics. Two word introductions! (I believe, Light is, We think, etc)

I will start with my more recent conjecture.

I believe light may be a string of sub-quark matter, created by high-energy quantum interactions and amplified by converging and colliding wavelengths. If a confinement medium is in place, they may become any number of known and unknown sub-particles, and interact henceforth. The center of the wavelength would be something similar to the higgs bosun.

5 minutes ago, infinitemultiverse said:

It would take ages to dig up a hundred different ideas on what light actually is. So help if you can!

Lets keep it to a very short paragraph of 2-4 sentences, assuming everyone knows everything about particle physics. Two word introductions! (I believe, Light is, We think, etc)

I believe light may be a string of sub-quark matter, created by high-energy quantum interactions and amplified by converging and colliding wavelengths. If a confinement medium is in place, they may become any number of known and unknown sub-particles, and interact henceforth. The center of the wavelength would be something similar to the higgs bosun.

Light is simply a part of the electromagnetic spectrum which exhibits properties consistent with being a wave and/or a particle, depending on application.

I'm not sure what the other 99 ideas are.

4 minutes ago, infinitemultiverse said:

I would prefer you started by placing your conjectures in the correct part of the forum, namely speculations,

and by accompanying these speculations with evidence, following the rules here.

10 minutes ago, infinitemultiverse said:

I believe light may be...

!

Moderator Note

Moved to Speculations. Please read the special rules for this section, and be prepared to support your extraordinary claims with evidence.

19 minutes ago, infinitemultiverse said:

This isn’t a conjecture. It is incoherent drivel.

There are two well established theories describing light. Why make up this sort of bollicks?

1 hour ago, Strange said:

This isn’t a conjecture. It is incoherent drivel.

There are two well established theories describing light. Why make up this sort of bollicks?

Could be a number of  reasons why individuals see the need to attempt to down grade or falsely denigrate some accepted scientific aspect,  including "delusions of grandeur" and other religious baggage that is often evident in other threads of this nature.

13 minutes ago, beecee said:

Could be a number of  reasons why individuals see the need to attempt to down grade or falsely denigrate some accepted scientific aspect,  including "delusions of grandeur" and other religious baggage that is often evident in other threads of this nature.

Many don't know what they don't know, so science is fair game for pulling stuff out of ones dark place.

2 hours ago, infinitemultiverse said:

- electric neutral particle called photon with energy [math]E=hv=hf=\hbar \omega = p c = \frac{h c}{\lambda}[/math] momentum [math]p=\frac{E}{c}[/math] frequency [math]f=\frac{E}{h}[/math] wavelength [math]\lambda = \frac{h c }{E}[/math], transferring energy between source and destination particles.

(h - Planck constant, [math]\hbar[/math] - reduced Planck constant, f or v - frequency, [math]\lambda[/math] (lambda) - wavelength)

- classified by human by energy/frequency/wavelength into categories: gamma photon, x-ray photon, ultraviolet (couple subcategories), visible spectrum (this is what typical layman is calling light), infrared (IR),  microwave, radio wave.

- photon has polarization, linear, circular

- photon can be absorbed, emitted, reflected, refracted, scattered

- photon can be redshifted and blueshifted.

- high energy gamma photon (energy > 1.022 MeV) can create pair of matter-antimatter.

- high energy gamma photon (energy > 2.2 MeV) can "destroy" matter (split e.g. atom to constituent particles e.g. protons and neutrons). This effect is called photodisintegration.

- classical description of light electromagnetic radiation

Summary of photon-matter-antimatter interaction is on this video:

Edited by Sensei

9 hours ago, beecee said:

Light is simply a part of the electromagnetic spectrum which exhibits properties consistent with being a wave and/or a particle, depending on application.

I'm not sure what the other 99 ideas are.

The other 99 ideas are wrong.

13 hours ago, infinitemultiverse said:

Light is massless and photons are spin zero (i.e. bosons), so they are not related to quarks, which are fermions.

And this is not the place for "I think" or "I believe", unless you have included some rigor and science in the thought process.