Jump to content
DrmDoc

What is faith?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Do they? In the context my posts, hope is just as entwined with trust as faith.

6 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

this thread is about religious faith,

He's got a point here. We know what definition of the word faith we are discussing. Religious faith. This is different from using the word faith to simply mean to have hope I think. Hoping something will happen isn't the same as having faith it will happen. The faith part seems to suggest more surety of the outcome of events where hope admits the chance element and merely wishes for the desired outcome rather than expecting (knowing) it.

 

Edited by DrP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

What point? That you are an asshole? yes it proves that point quite well... 

:doh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dimreepr said:

:doh:

I call em like I see em, so far you have ignored every possible attempt to guide you back on subject, your attack on my personal life is out of bounds and you know it... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DrP said:

He's got a point here. We know what definition of the word faith we are discussing. Religious faith. This is different from using the word faith to simply mean to have hope I think. Hoping something will happen isn't the same as having faith it will happen. The faith part seems to suggest more surety of the outcome of events where hope admits the chance element and merely wishes for the desired outcome rather than expecting (knowing) it.

But the title is "What is faith"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

But the title is "What is faith"

In the religious section of the site.. but since you seem to be having trouble understanding that here is this. Faith is something that only religion and bad used car salesmen need you to have... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moontanman said:

In the religious section of the site.. but since you seem to be having trouble understanding that here is this. Faith is something that only religion and bad used car salesmen need you to have... 

And...

The OP doesn't explicitly mention religion and besides this is a discussion site that is supposed to use reasoned arguments to support a position rather than obfuscation and conflation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

And...

The OP doesn't explicitly mention religion and besides this is a discussion site that is supposed to use reasoned arguments to support a position rather than obfuscation and conflation. 

Said the man who has done little but obfuscate the issue at every turn... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moontanman said:

Said the man who has done little but obfuscate the issue at every turn... 

OK, what is the issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

But the title is "What is faith"

4 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

The OP doesn't explicitly mention religion

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, DrmDoc said:

Most often arguments against science are used as justification for faith; however, those arguments do not appear to define a basis for your religious faith. 

 

He is clearly talking about religious faith in the OP.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not absolutely true. Deleted.

Edited by FreeWill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrP said:

He is clearly talking about religious faith in the OP.

Maybe, but this is a science site and I'm peer-reviewing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FreeWill said:

You altenative is just one from many discussed or tried to be discussed.

You present your opinion as an absolute truth.

 

Where have I presented my opinion as truth? Please point it out and I will either prove you wrong or delete it.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Moontanman said:

Where have I presented my opinion as truth? Please point it out and I will either prove you wrong or delete it.. 

Or neg rep it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Maybe,

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, DrmDoc said:

define a basis for your religious faith.

There is no maybe about it. It is written there clearly.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

Or neg rep it.

I feel I can not discuss faith in a tread is about (religious) faith...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, FreeWill said:

I feel I can not discuss faith in a tread is about (religious) faith...

You can if you discuss religious faith, the bible gives a pretty good definition: 

 

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" Hebrews 11: 1

 

I apologize for the neg rep, as soon as I can I'll remove it... 

Edited by Moontanman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FreeWill said:

I feel I can not discuss faith in a tread is about (religious) faith...

Yes, you've shown that to be the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DrP said:

There is no maybe about it. It is written there clearly.

Fair enough I missed that, but does it mean I'm disallowed from introducing an alternative perspective or critiquing an others?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Where have I presented my opinion as truth? Please point it out and I will either prove you wrong or delete it.. 

We can not discuss the topic.

Your opinion is ok, your reasoning must be true without evidence and there is no space to discuss because you kill any other opinion with a straw men. (You do not understand the word)...

 

Edited by FreeWill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, FreeWill said:

We can not discuss the topic.

Your opinion is ok, your reasoning must be true without evidence and there is no space to discuss because you kill any other opinion with a straw men. (You do not understand the word)...

 

What word would that be? 

21 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Fair enough I missed that, but does it mean I'm disallowed from introducing an alternative perspective or critiquing an others?

Anything outside faith in the religious sense would be off topic, but I see no reason to be that strict except you use any allowed leeway as an excuse to obfuscate the issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Delusion 

8 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Anything outside faith in the religious sense would be off topic, but I see no reason to be that strict except you use any allowed leeway as an excuse to obfuscate the issue. 

I think this is not true if we consider your opening post and the title of the thread. 

Edited by FreeWill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

What word would that be? 

Anything outside faith in the religious sense would be off topic, but I see no reason to be that strict except you use any allowed leeway as an excuse to obfuscate the issue. 

Again, what issue? 

That your dog barks at the moon or is some sort of protection?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
!

Moderator Note

No more personal attacks, everyone. You know better.

FreeWill, a strawman is a logical fallacy where you're arguing one thing ("We shouldn't start a war in Iran") and the other person counters an argument that wasn't presented ("It's a shame you don't support our troops"). None of the posts you reported are examples of strawman.

 This is a lengthy thread, and it had parameters once upon a time. It seems now that definitions are becoming a problem. Perhaps it's time to close this and open up more specific lines of discussion? In any case, such discussion will NOT include insults and personal attacks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
2
On 4/29/2018 at 2:39 PM, DrmDoc said:

To the believers here who, oddly, chose to post to predominately science discussion forums, what is faith and why do you have it?  Perhaps you've discussed this topic variously before and, if so, I entreat your brief indulgence further.  My perusal of discussions here suggested to me that some of you do not seem to have a clear perspective of what distinguishes faith from science.  Most often arguments against science are used as justification for faith; however, those arguments do not appear to define a basis for your religious faith.  As I perceive, faith is a shield believers use against life's doubts, insecurities, and traumas.  Some of you may view science as an attack on that shield.  However, none of this provides your understanding of faith or what compel your belief.  What have you observed, experienced, or accomplished that supports your faith?  Is that support tangible? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

Again, what issue? 

That your dog barks at the moon or is some sort of protection?

The issue is religious faith. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.