What is faith?

DrmDoc

6 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Are you suggesting it's not evidence? An anecdote doesn't usually kill so many...

Yes, I am suggesting that an anecdote is not what is considered evidence in any meaningful way. 

My father smoked for 50 years and never developed lung cancer. Do you also believe that anecdote about him is evidence that smoking does not cause lung cancer?

6 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Yes, I am suggesting that an anecdote is not what is considered evidence in any meaningful way. 

My father smoked for 50 years and never developed lung cancer. Do you also believe that anecdote about him is evidence that smoking does not cause lung cancer?

You asked for evidence that not all hate is the result of faith, I provided an example and you dismissed it, anecdotally.

19 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

You asked for evidence that not all hate is the result of faith, I provided an example and you dismissed it, anecdotally.

So it had nothing to do with his faith in the supremacy of the white race? something often touted by Christians? 

16 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I asked for evidence of your assertion that faith does not inspire suicide bombers. 

The idea that "not all hate is the result of faith" is so obvious as to not be worthy of discussion.

Your dishonest approach to this discussion makes it a waste of my time.

21 hours ago, zapatos said:

I asked for evidence of your assertion that faith does not inspire suicide bombers. 

Again, I didn't say that

21 hours ago, Moontanman said:

So it had nothing to do with his faith in the supremacy of the white race? something often touted by Christians? 

We're either talking past one another or you too are conflating, I presume the former.

But did he have faith in white supremacy before he was radicalised?

2 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Again, I didn't say that

We're either talking past one another or you too are conflating, I presume the former.

But did he have faith in white supremacy before he was radicalised?

I'm going to be honest, I have no idea how people are radicalized, why anyone would kill helpless people, the entire mindset is simply not in my list of understandable things. I would have to at least suggest something was broken inside his brain or the brain of anyone who would kill helpless people...  

1 minute ago, Moontanman said:

I'm going to be honest, I have no idea how people are radicalized, why anyone would kill helpless people, the entire mindset is simply not in my list of understandable things. I would have to at least suggest something was broken inside his brain or the brain of anyone who would kill helpless people...  

I kinda agree but I have sympathy for those who are broken by others... 

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

I kinda agree but I have sympathy for those who are broken by others... 

Some seem to break easier than others but my sympathy is generally limited to the victims of broken people. The people who are broken are often very good at garnering sympathy while they plan their next move... I was abused severely as a child, it made me come close to being pathologically empathic.

Just now, Moontanman said:

Some seem to break easier than others but my sympathy is generally limited to the victims of broken people. The people who are broken are often very good at garnering sympathy while they plan their next move... I was abused severely as a child, it made me come close to being pathologically empathic.

Indeed, but don't forget the broken are victims too...

Just now, dimreepr said:

Indeed, but don't forget the broken are victims too...

Yes they are broken but much like a bottle broken in the path people walk on the danger has to be removed. Simply acknowledging the bottle is broken is not enough...  

Yes they are broken but much like a bottle broken in the path people walk on the danger has to be removed. Simply acknowledging the bottle is broken is not enough...  

What would you propose as the best clean up method? Just remember you can never get every shard...

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

What would you propose as the best clean up method? Just remember you can never get every shard...

The analogy has broken down unless you think that everyone should carry protection against those stray shards. But ultimately yes you can clean up every shard, bring in a backhoe and you can get every piece but the problem is how do you fix broken people? Some are not fixable so they have to be separated from the general population. 

The analogy has broken down unless you think that everyone should carry protection against those stray shards.

No, I mean we should stop worrying about it, because it only gives energy to them.

4 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

But ultimately yes you can clean up every shard, bring in a backhoe and you can get every piece but the problem is how do you fix broken people? Some are not fixable so they have to be separated from the general population. 

What can you really control? And when is a victim, guilty?

4 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

No, I mean we should stop worrying about it, because it only gives energy to them.

Yeah, stop worrying about mass killings by broken people... that's the ticket... 

4 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

What can you really control? And when is a victim, guilty?

A victim can be passively victimized or a victim can make sure there are more victims via victimizing others. If you are broken and kill people because of it then you cannot be allowed to circulate in the general population. It's not fair to the people you might harm. Much like flying an airplane with a heart condition is illegale... 

Yeah, stop worrying about mass killings by broken people... that's the ticket...

How many times were you killed???

3 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

A victim can be passively victimized or a victim can make sure there are more victims via victimizing others. If you are broken and kill people because of it then you cannot be allowed to circulate in the general population. It's not fair to the people you might harm. Much like flying an airplane with a heart condition is illegale...

I'm trying to get my head around this argument, it's illegal so there won't be victims? Is that close? Or do you suggest arresting everyone, just in case?

How is that relevant? Do I have to wait until the killer is slicing me up before I show any concern? 

I'm trying to get my head around this argument, it's illegal so there won't be victims? Is that close? Or do you suggest arresting everyone, just in case?

I suggest arresting people who commit crimes, nothing more... 

5 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

None of this has anything to do with faith, you are doing nothing but trolling, either stop being so dishonest or I will block you... 

How is that relevant? Do I have to wait until the killer is slicing me up before I show any concern? 

When he starts a slicing you start arresting. ;)

3 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

I suggest arresting people who commit crimes, nothing more...

And who suggests what a crime is? 

9 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

None of this has anything to do with faith, you are doing nothing but trolling, either stop being so dishonest or I will block you...

Nope...

When he starts a slicing you start arresting. ;)

I have suggested nothing else. 

And who suggests what a crime is? 

The law! 

Nope...

Yep...

20 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Really? Well, now I'm going to sleep on it; while you read back...

I see where you are trying to twist my words to your own benefit. I know I'll catch some criticism for this but you are a troll, when you can't convince someone with a honest argument you turn to deception, obfuscation, and ignorance. I see no reason to engage with you any further on this forum much less this thread.  

I see where you are trying to twist my words to your own benefit. I know I'll catch some criticism for this but you are a troll, when you can't convince someone with a honest argument you turn to deception, obfuscation, and ignorance. I see no reason to engage with you any further on this forum much less this thread.  

I see no benefit to me, I'm just trying to educate you to the possibility that you may be a victim of your own success 

Just now, dimreepr said:

I see no benefit to me, I'm just trying to educate you to the possibility that you may be a victim of your own success 

Much like you are a victim of your lack of knowledge? 

Of possibly your need to convince others of knowledge you do not have?