What's changed about the upvoting system?

Before when I clicked on the upvote, the number incread by 1 so a post that had no votes yet would change from displaying nothing at all to 1.

Today I noticed that the click produces a number 0.

If I leave the thread and return 1 is then showing?

Also what is the point of/difference between 'likes' and 'upvoting', it's all to easy to get the wrong one if there is a difference.

There seems to be an up/down vote and also a like. I have no idea why.

The latency in registering the vote appears in other features. When I spamban someone, their posts stay visible in the queue until after I've read some post and then reloaded the new posts list. It's not particularly dynamic. It is annoying, though.

I wonder if this was just another instance of changing things that work fine because of the "we have to change things in order to justify a new release of the software" syndrome

Original HTML was static, and required to redownload entire page to update contents ("refresh"/"reload"). It causes lost of data entered in forms, heavy data transmission, and other annoyances.

But later, there has been added AJAX, Asynchronous JavaScript And XMLHttpRequest:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_(programming)

It allows website programmers to redownload just part of page.

"dynamic web page" reacts for user action immediately, generating content on the fly, or redownloading them asynchronously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_web_page

Maybe forum software allows enabling/disabling AJAX by admins, and after update it has not been enabled again.. ?

Edited by Sensei

3 hours ago, swansont said:

I wonder if this was just another instance of changing things that work fine because of the "we have to change things in order to justify a new release of the software" syndrome

+1

Why does software have to work the other way every other industry?

For example motor vehicles originally had solid tyres then went pneumatic.
Some had no heater and no roof so drivers had to dress up like an artic explorers.
They had starter handles bfore starter buttons.

etc etc etc

BTW this is what I mean.

This screenshot was taken several minutes after upvoting.

voting1.jpg.ea228a882a1d76b8f075df1ed6dfdd6d.jpg

Edited by studiot

2 hours ago, studiot said:

Why does software have to work the other way every other industry?

Perhaos paradoxically, it’s consumer led. We get used to certain form factors and functions and unconsciously come to expect certain use cases or approaching tinjnteracting with a site. When we arrive somewhere without those things or with unique processes it can feel jarring and more difficult than we’d like l; the UX can feel frustrating or even old. 

I don’t think this necessarily applies to your upvote example, just addressing your specific comment in the quote. 

I am not sure why there is a lag between when you give a post a rep point, and when the system registers it. As for the, 'like,' feature, it is something that came with the new software and that appears to be compulsory if you have the reputation system enabled. It acts in the same way as an upvote (i.e. it registers as a +1). 

Edit: I have tried to see if I could remove the 'like' and just have the up and down vote as per previous iterations of the software, and it was not possible. You can enable / disable every other possible reaction, just not that one. Your guess is as good as mine as to why that is. 

2 hours ago, Strange said:

Is it possible just have the upvotes/likes and not the downvotes? That would eliminate a lot of the complaints about the system.

Studiot is not complaining about upvotes/downvotes, but that web browser does not update after clicking button, like it used to in previous version of software, in the past..

We just clicked upvote on his OP, to check it, and verify his findings. And confirmed observation.

From computer programmer point of view, typically in such dynamically generated web sites, it's job of AJAX to download new updated page (or just fraction of page), after user interaction.