depression bad on the brain.

quickquestion

I used to be a total health nut and took a lot of anti-oxidants. I was mostly filled with rage and misery most of the time.

Ok but only the correct anti oxidants in the right amount have an noteworthy effect. You might want to have a look in nrf2-activators.

Resveratrol is also proven to be able to help depression. Resveratrol is present in many berries and in red wine.

Edited by Itoero

Ok but only the correct anti oxidants in the right amount have an noteworthy effect. You might want to have a look in nrf2-activators.

Resveratrol is also proven to be able to help depression. Resveratrol is present in many berries and in red wine.

Im too tired to google and research nrf2 activators right now. I trust you are expert enough in the topic to tell me the right blend of amounts I need. Just tell me what ingredients and amount of ingredients I need in a smoothie and I'll drink it.

Hmm, you seem to know Tony Robbins. May I ask, have you heard of Higher Balance Institute, and if so, know if it is real? They say they teach Enlightenment for 5 dollars, but I am hesistant to buy.

qq - I have not read about HBI but many of Tony Robbins' lectures are on youtube and I have been watching some of these programmes recently. I don't want to get into detail at present about how depression has impacted my life, but I am here if you PM me and, if you need me, I will give you my cellphone no. just to talk and for me to listen - I am an excellent listener.

Peace.

Edited by jimmydasaint

qq - I have not read about HBI but many of Tony Robbins' lectures are on youtube and I have been watching some of these programmes recently. I don't want to get into detail at present about how depression has impacted my life, but I am here if you PM me and, if you need me, I will give you my cellphone no. just to talk and for me to listen - I am an excellent listener.

Peace.

I thank you, but I feel emotional aversions while socializing and am afraid of talking to people with my voice, due to being a textbook psychopath. I would rather talk in skype if you like.

Edited by quickquestion

I thank you, but I feel emotional aversions while socializing and am afraid of talking to people with my voice, due to being a textbook psychopath. I would rather talk in skype if you like.

qq - this is for you. we could chat by text or PM on this Forum or text on cellphone, if you like. I just want to say that there is ALWAYS hope and ALWAYS a way to get out of this mood. Tony Robbins is the real deal and this is not only my opinion. I have a link for him here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqjWfPWfl5g

It's 2 am in the UK dude, I m going to sleep. Take care, you are of great worth and, once you are out of this state, you can help others.

All the best to you brother/sister/whatever.

qq - this is for you. we could chat by text or PM on this Forum or text on cellphone, if you like. I just want to say that there is ALWAYS hope and ALWAYS a way to get out of this mood. Tony Robbins is the real deal and this is not only my opinion. I have a link for him here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqjWfPWfl5g

It's 2 am in the UK dude, I m going to sleep. Take care, you are of great worth and, once you are out of this state, you can help others.

All the best to you brother/sister/whatever.

Well PM is not the same as skype because it is slow and congested. Skype is more free flow and it does not suffer from an inbox limit. It only takes a few seconds to make an account, so perhaps after Easter we can chat on there if you like.

Edited by quickquestion

Do you sport?

It's a way to give a different focus for your mind and you make more endogenous anti oxidants to deal with exercise induced oxidative stress.

Doing so would increase my libido, which would increase my sexual frustration, which would increase my depression.

Speaking of which, I can't stand all these love songs on the radio. It feels like a bunch of imps are torturing me.

wat

Excersizing would increase my libido, which is currently comfortably numb. KInd of like how Tesla dealt with his misery by just ignoring it and being a loner.

Always have a passion for life. I think that would make anyone motivated enough. The world is a pretty hard place to live in right now but don't let that stop you from living the life that you want.

My passion for life is very low, and my amount of want is rapidly decreasing. Think of it like the movie "Inside Out" where islands in her brain begin falling down and she is nothing but grayness.

The only condition I know to be related to interest in science is the autism spectrum, which is still not described all that well and seems to have broader and narrower conceptualizations. Some argue that, in addition to Asperger's syndrome and autistic disorder, the spectrum should also include Pervasive Development Disorder (PDD) or even Childhood Disintegrative Disorder. It has been conceptualized as three-dimensional: social deficits, verbal ability deficits, and repetitive behaviors & restricted interests. I am not sure exactly which explains the interest in science. Being less interested in social behavior and less affected by peer pressure, perhaps they prefer concrete subject matters to the socially derived trivialities of small talk: fashion trends, fictional media, gossip, etc. They are more prone to depression, but I am not sure how this would be related, but both depression and autism appear to be connected with oxytocinergic abnormalities that impair the capacity to enjoy social interaction.

The only condition I know to be related to interest in science is the autism spectrum, which is still not described all that well and seems to have broader and narrower conceptualizations. Some argue that, in addition to Asperger's syndrome and autistic disorder, the spectrum should also include Pervasive Development Disorder (PDD) or even Childhood Disintegrative Disorder. It has been conceptualized as three-dimensional: social deficits, verbal ability deficits, and repetitive behaviors & restricted interests. I am not sure exactly which explains the interest in science. Being less interested in social behavior and less affected by peer pressure, perhaps they prefer concrete subject matters to the socially derived trivialities of small talk: fashion trends, fictional media, gossip, etc. They are more prone to depression, but I am not sure how this would be related, but both depression and autism appear to be connected with oxytocinergic abnormalities that impair the capacity to enjoy social interaction.

The key here is science is involved in discovering mysteries and adventures. Social life is boring, predictable, and rarely an adventure.

Astoundingly, I forgot to include this.

Social and Mechanical Reasoning Inhibit Eachother (Scott Barry Kaufman of PsychologyToday)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/beautiful-minds/201211/social-and-mechanical-reasoning-inhibit-each-other

In recent years, neuroscientists have identified two opposed brain networks: the default mode network (DMN) and the executive attention network (EAN). The standard view is that the DMN network is involved when we are engaged in internally focused tasks such as recalling deeply personal memories, daydreaming, sleeping, imagining the future, and trying to take the perspective of others. In contrast, the EAN network is thought to be involved when our attention is directed outward, and we must exert control over our limited attentional resources. For instance, the EAN is highly active when people are taking IQ tests (see here). When the DMN network is active the EAN network is quiet, and when the EAN network is active, the DMN network is quiet.

For most people, our evolved brain networks automatically know when it's appropriate to come online and when it's best to lay dormant. For some people though, there isn't this automatic switching. For instance, those with autism have been shown to have an underactive DMN and an overactive EAN, which can lead to overthinking, a fascination with how objects work, and a lack of awareness of social subtly. In contrast, those with schizophrenia have been shown to have an overactive DMN and an underactive EAN, which can lead to overinferring people's intentions, disordered thought, and a breakdown of the boundary between self and other (see here for a review).

I should add. Schizophrenics also have a lack of social interest, although this is a "negative symptom" and inhaled oxytocin is especially useful in treating their negative symptoms. However, autism is the condition associated with interest in math and science. Thus activation of the EAN in autism could be the key.

DMN activity is important to depression research. I don't know what the research says, but I do know that depression is often described as a "turning inward" that implies greater DMN activation. Here are a few links in case you want to know more.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3289336/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3935731/

Edited by MonDie

Doing so would increase my libido, which would increase my sexual frustration, which would increase my depression.

Speaking of which, I can't stand all these love songs on the radio. It feels like a bunch of imps are torturing me.

Exercise can cause your mental state to be more healthy. Your mental problems are caused by imbalance.

The key here is science is involved in discovering mysteries and adventures. Social life is boring, predictable, and rarely an adventure.

I would think maniacs would be more interested in adventure than the depressed, but the two mood states may not be opposites but in fact weakly correlated. The mixed state may be the most dangerous mood state. I imagine some of the overlap may be due to overactivity of the stress response system, the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis (so named because left-to-right each region or gland releases a hormone that stimulates the next region/gland).

Depressive and manic symptoms are not opposite poles in bipolar disorder. (Johnson, Morriss, Scott, Paykel, Kinderman, Kolamunnage-Dona, Bental, 2010)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20825373

I would think an overactive DMN would lead to a suppressed EAN and suppressed interest in math and science, but maybe focusing on math and science could be a healthy strategy for making the DMN "shut the @#$% up".

Edited by MonDie

I am a maniac as well as depressed. I thought there was a such think as manic depression.

Also, I notice in my dreams that I am better than music at waking state. Also, studies show right brain creativity is better at logic and problem solving.

Thus I am not sure that DMN is bad for science.

Negative emotions are bad for science, it makes me unable to focus. When I try to learn things I just start thinking about past memories of misery and I get so mad I just can't focus.

Expectation plays a large part on the path to contentment; the more you expect the more you fail and the angrier you get, then you compound your suffering by dwelling on those failures.

Expect the worse and you live in fear, expect the best and your doomed to fail, but if you expect nothing then you're, not only, free to enjoy what happens, you're free to hope and day-dream.

• 3 months later...

I can't stop obsessing over the fact that I can't get a girlfriend (or sex) because I'm ugly.

I also tried to commit suicide over the fact that I'm still a virgin and can't get any form of intimacy or affection from women.

I mean what is the point of living if you will never get any form of touch or affection from a beautiful girl or from a beautiful women?

My point is I feel very very unhappy (and feel very very lonely) and I'm considering ending my life.

Edited by seriously disabled

13 minutes ago, seriously disabled said:

I can't stop obsessing over the fact that I can't get a girlfriend (or sex) because I'm ugly.

I also tried to commit suicide over the fact that I'm still a virgin and can't get any form of intimacy or affection from women.

I mean what is the point of living if you will never get any form of touch or affection from a beautiful girl or from a beautiful women?

My point is I feel very veryy unhappy (and feel very very lonely) and I'm considering ending my life.

!

Moderator Note

We are not equipped to help you. Sorry. 

Please please find your country on this list and phone the number in many countries this will be free. You're not alone people can help. 

http://www.befrienders.org

3 hours ago, seriously disabled said:

Why is that so important for you? I'm 29 y old but I've never had a girlfriend. I'm ok looking but I had problems getting close to people (mentally and physically) , while I wanted to. If I ever kill myself, it will not be because I can't get a girl...

3 hours ago, seriously disabled said:

My point is I feel very very unhappy (and feel very very lonely) and I'm considering ending my life.

What have you done to actually make that happen? It is not as complicated as you think, you don't need to be good looking. Just go out and meet people with the intention of making friends. Do not go around talking to girls in order to f@ck them but in order to meet them. You form a releationship with someone that you enjoy hanging out with. It all starts in your thoughts, in your head. You are what you think. If you believe that you will never find someone then you will never find someone.