The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

Hi, I'm Ben... *waves* *cheezy grin*

I'm 24 and have BSc in Plant and Microbial Science, I have been looking for science related work here in Christchurch NZ but competition is tough and work is scarce, I am considering going to teachers college next year and training to become a Biology/Science teacher.

I enjoy listening to heavy rock music and getting in the mosh pit, I also like old school techno and was a raver into hardcore back in the day. I like gardening and horticulture, mountain biking, fishing, tramping and camping (basically anything to do with the outdoors). I am an amateur poet, I used to write alot, got awards for creative writing back in Highschool, but since then haven't written much.

My favourite science topics are evolution, genetics and biochemistry. I also enjoy cosmology, but I am however hopeless at physics and maths, although I did pass my highschool final calculus and stats exams with A's..... all this was quickly forgotten on the hard summer break. I like philosophy and I consider myself an agnostic, I like to challenge faith and make people admit things when they don't know them for sure.

Well, I figure I should introduce myself, though I really suck at these.

I'll start with academics: I graduated 2001 from Florida Inst. of Tech. with a degree in Aerospace engineering, and came to U of Cincinnati for my MS. Upon being exposed to actual engineering, I came to realize the nagging doubts that'd haunted me since undergrad: I detest engineering as a career (though the subject is marginally interesting), and could never stand doing it for the next 40 years, no matter what the pay. So I did what I should have done long ago and transferred to my lifelong love: biology. Currently I'm slated to graduate this june (if the language requirements don't kill me first) with my second BS, and then stay here for MS with the prof I've been working under. I've got two papers in the works, if I can manage to squeeze them in between classes. My main focus is herpetology, mostly reptiles at the organismal level, though I still need to focus myself more. I'll probably wind up specializing in biomechanics and thermal systems of reptiles. I aspire to eventual professorship, and to work with both living reptiles and extinct ones (mmmm, triassic archosaurs...)

On a more personal note, I'm usually pretty laid back. I am convinced of the perfectability of humans, since I'm dating an example of it (yeah, I'm also sappy), a beautiful, brilliant female geek. I grow carnivorous plants, go to dance clubs, and have my own collection of wonderful herps, including a 9 foot boa, a 3 foot rescued ball python, a greater siren (weird amphibian species, aquatic and eel like), and a 4 foot long Blue Tegu (south american lizard that congervently evolved to a monitor lizard form).

Well, that's about all for now. Seeya all around.

Mokele

Actually, I live in southern Ohio (central US, temperate clime with snow in winter for those who aren't in the US), and I grew them just fine outside, with the exception of the tropical pitcher plant (Nepenthes genus).

American pitcher plants actually are usually frost tolerant and can be found in bogs as far north as southern Canada in some species' cases. The Venus Flytrap is actually native along the Atlantic coast as far north as New Jersey. The cobra plant lives in Oregon, and I actually can't grow it because my location is too warm during the summer. Many sundews (especially the cape sundew) are cool or cold tolerant, as are some of the lesser-known carnivores, like Heliamphora, Pingicula, and Utricularia. In fact, the only group I know of that has no cool-tolerant members is Nepenthes, the giant tropical pitcher plants.

So in short, it's not hopeless for those in cool climates. And a terrarium with grow-lights does wonders too.

Mokele

I'm WaR

What else.... hmmm... oh yeah, I'm a civil engineering major at Polytechnic University in New York.

I work as head assistant for some construction company called S &Stone and occasionally I make a few extra bucks as a tutor at school. What else.... I'm also a webmaster, but anyone can be one nowadays.

Oh, and I like Mortal Kombat, Engineering, Boxing, Calculus, K1, My girl, and Nuclear Weapons.

Ok, I go back to class now, just wanted to say hello.

PS. Did someone say carnivorous plants? Cool. :cool:

Greetings,

After asking myself many a time why there are too many sites devoted to cooking or sports, etc and none devoted to discussing matters scientific, I did the logical thing and googled for just that.

I wound up here as a result. Good news for me, I have a lot of questions that I can't seem to readily answer. Looking forward to the exchanges.

Geode

After asking myself many a time why there are too many sites devoted to cooking[/u'] or sports, etc and none devoted to discussing matters scientific, I did the logical thing and googled for just that.
Do not ask these people for recipes! They'll give them to you with all the ingredients in chemical symbols.

And they love pranks. Welcome!

Hello all...pi_of_9 here. Obviously, I'm a Star Trek fan but have not been able to bring myself to attend a convention.

I am still searching for my purpose in life...I thought saving lives as a paramedic was it, but I became apathetic. Too many idiots with self-inflicted injuries/illnesses. Quit after 14 years and now I sell books. No strange bodily fluids to clean up.

I love science, love to learn. Oh, I love my husband and my pets as well. I enjoy this forum and learn a little something from it everyday.

Actually' date=' I live in southern Ohio (central US, temperate clime with snow in winter for those who aren't in the US), and I grew them just fine outside, with the exception of the tropical pitcher plant (Nepenthes genus).

American pitcher plants actually are usually frost tolerant and can be found in bogs as far north as southern Canada in some species' cases. The Venus Flytrap is actually native along the Atlantic coast as far north as New Jersey. The cobra plant lives in Oregon, and I actually can't grow it because my location is too warm during the summer. Many sundews (especially the cape sundew) are cool or cold tolerant, as are some of the lesser-known carnivores, like Heliamphora, Pingicula, and Utricularia. In fact, the only group I know of that has no cool-tolerant members is Nepenthes, the giant tropical pitcher plants.

So in short, it's not hopeless for those in cool climates. And a terrarium with grow-lights does wonders too.

Mokele[/quote']

Hmmmm swamp must be synonomous with tropical where you come from.... I meant they don't like nitrates and they need acid boggy almost anaerobic soil.

Welcome to Science Forums; where the grass is greener on the other side of the... umm, quark? Bah.

"Do not ask these people for recipes! They'll give them to you with all the ingredients in chemical symbols."

Aye, ye'll be mixing C12H22O11 with H2O, then ye'll be adding a little NaCl... :)

Hi all,

New to this forum so just thought I'd introduce myself. I live in Liverpool, I'm 22 and support Tranmere Rovers (insert joke here).

I have a BSc in Genetics and am currently working for my PhD.

Bonjour!

h2

Hmmmm swamp must be synonomous with tropical where you come from.... I meant they don't like nitrates and they need acid boggy almost anaerobic soil.

Yep. Over here, at least in the southern US, "swamp" usually refers to the bayous, wetlands, deltas, etc. Typically, those places are high in nutrients, and defined as swamps by the presence of gators, more or less. "Bog", I believe, is the term in use for carnivorous plant style habitat.

Frustrating, an ex of mine from Minnesota used "swamps" to refer to "bogs", so evidently this isn't the case universally.

But even still, the trick is just not to plant them. Instead, I keep mine outdoors in pots, with the pots placed in a tray of distilled water to keep them damp.

Mokele

Known by many names, (listed below) I am a member of several science forums. Howerver, I am new to this one. Still a student, but one who loves science. My favorites, though, would have to be Chemistry and Biology.

Hello to all members, and welcome to all future ones!

Hello all,

I am a long time science junkie. I covered a fair selection of scientific disciplines academically and professionally over the years and have currently landed in nanotechnology (which is a lot less interesting than it sounds.)

I'm much better at ideas than following-through with R&D so I look forward to sticking my oar into some of the more esoteric debates that crop up here.

See you soon, Xavier

Guest zsandmann

Hi,

I am a MS geophysics grad at Colorado State. Just stopping by to check the place out. Nice digs. :) Hope some of you will come say hello. I am sure I will spend a lot of time reading all the great posts on this forum. See yall around.

Z Out

wow its cool looking back throught this forum to people that say that they have just started but now have 1000+ posts. Also kinda sad to see people with enthusiasm in here that have joined a year ago but only have 1 post.

Hello everyone!

My name is Josh Abernathy.

I am currently a freshman at North Idaho Community College, I have always loved science and am studying in physics and engineering. I am working towards a bachelors degree, and maybe a masters if my situation allows me at that time. My wife and I have two beautiful children, my daughter Kierra (age 6) loves science. My son Anthony(age 3) is obsessed with hotwheels, and football :cool:.

I like to ask alot of questions and try to see everything I can from a different perspective. My goal in life is to do anything I can to better humanity.

Guest Spacincutie8

Hi Im Jaci Im new and i dont get any of this forum stuff but I joined because im really interested in science and math. m only in grade 8 but im hoping to learn something from this . :embarass: