The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Radical Edward

I agree. That was my main reason for leaving some of my other forums behind and to come here.

What is it about cars that make you nuts about? What kind of a car do you have?

Sorry - thought I replied already' date=' but when I came back here I didn't see the reply.

I have one of these.

[img']http://mysite.verizon.net/res0bpko/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/corvette3.jpg[/img]

Guest Anenkefali

Hi everyone.

I am a 22 year old guy from Sweden. I like science (duh!) and I am especially interested in everything that has with AI, CS and robotics to do. I am studying what would translate into english as "engineering physics" and have completed 1 year out of 4.5 so far.

My sparetime is distributed over a couple of hobbies, such as martial arts, programming, working out and playing poker. I am agnostic, a darwinist and I enjoy conspiracy theories.

Looking forward to many interesting discussions on this board. Over and out....*bzzzT*

I've been lurking around here for a few days so I guess it's about time I introduced myself. I'm a graduate student, working on a PhD in Computer Information Systems. I live in South Florida and I'm one of those scary "undecided voters". So be nice to me on the Politics board! (hehe)

I've been in the computer business since the mid-1980s (actually majored in Physics at Georgia Tech but never finished that degree and went into computers instead, just as the industry was exploding). Been doing consulting in South Florida since '95, and I was in network administration (PCs) in Atlanta before that, and desktop publishing (Macs) and before that. I got into teaching around 2000, first as an MCSE/MCT and now shooting for the college professor thing.

Basically just looking for a good discussion board to hang out on that has some smart folks who are interested in science and the odd socio-political debate from time to time. :)

(PS, I edit my posts a lot. Bad habit, I know.) :confused:

I live in South Florida and I'm one of those scary "undecided voters". So be nice to me on the Politics board!
All I ask is that you read the Why are you voting for Kerry? thread in Politics. I will do absolutely nothing else to sway your undecided vote.

I saw the thread and read part of it; I'll go ahead and finish it since you ask. That's an interesting method of persuasion, which carries particular value with me, I must say. Personally I wouldn't object to more suasion, in the proper forum, but I empathize with your desire not to go too far with it.

My sister lives in Colorado, by the way. She's up in the moutains near Aspen; one of the local, non-wealthy year-rounders. And I have cousins in the Colorado Springs area who are a military family. It's fascinating to me how people from Colorado know, just from my telling them that small amount, *exactly* what both my sister's and my cousins' political leanings are. (grin)

I saw the thread and read part of it; I'll go ahead and finish it since you ask. That's an interesting method of persuasion, which carries particular value with me, I must say. Personally I wouldn't object to more suasion, in the proper forum, but I empathize with your desire not to go too far with it.
I hope you feel important down there, Mr Swing State Undecided. The fate of the free world rests on your shoulders. No pressure!

My sister lives in Colorado, by the way. She's up in the moutains near Aspen; one of the local, non-wealthy year-rounders. And I have cousins in the Colorado Springs area who are a military family. It's fascinating to me how people from Colorado know, just from my telling them that small amount, *exactly* what both my sister's and my cousins' political leanings are. (grin)
*sigh* I know what you mean. I'm in a Denver suburb, and the city is predominantly Democrat while everyone else in the state with a military background or has more than a quarter acre of land is Republican.

Welcome to Science Forums & Debate! But don't think your level-headed, open-minded intelligence fools me in any way. I fully expect you to jump out at any point wearing a troll-suit and start flaming away at us. Be warned, I've got my eye on you... :D

hi, this is Kristi, formerly kedge, what happened, i don't know. Yes, chemistry is great, and genetics....oh yes. my past two research papers have been on cloning and DNA mapping. Where I live, Im surrounded by idiots and guys that aren't worth anything, which makes me wonder why they are worth any trouble (no offense to the good guys).I'm still in high school-a senior. I love this site bc i love science

Guest lucylooloo

High my name is lucy, I'm new around here so please be gentle. I' looking forward to participating and wish I could get started now, but, unfortunately I have already been floatin' around SFN for over 3 hours, the sun is coming up, and I need to get into my shop. Busy days make happy pays. Pleased to meet everyone and hope to talk to you all soon - 12 hr. days at the flwr. shop. Have a good one regardless, I know I will, I always do.

Guest lucylooloo
High my name is lucy, I'm new around here so please be gentle. I' looking forward to participating and wish I could get started now, but, unfortunately I have already been floatin' around SFN for over 3 hours, the sun is coming up, and I need to get into my shop. Busy days make happy pays. Pleased to meet everyone and hope to talk to you all soon - 12 hr. days at the flwr. shop. Have a good one regardless, I know I will, I always do.
September 25, 2004

Give me a sense of humor, Give me the grace to see a joke,

To get some happiness from life, and to pass it on to other folks.

Hi, I"m John. *chorus* "Hello John". I found your forum by a link from a totally forgettable idiot (really I've forgotten who it was and you've since banned him anyway) on another forum and liked what I saw. I'm interested in most areas of science, so you'll probably see my stupid question all over the place. ;)

Mainly I'm interested in anomalies. I think that we learn more from them than from things that fit in perfectly. Unfortunately, the whole concept of anomalies seems to divide in most forums into two groups; Those who could conclude that aliens built Chephren's Pyramid by extrapolating the dimensions of a half eaten bun and those who are so ultra-conservative that any suggestion that orthodox theory may not be perfect brings them out with torches burning and loud cries of "Heresy".

Neither of these groups could apparently have an intelligent conversation with a cucumber. Sorry if that sounds pompous, but if I'm wrong, I'd like to be told why rather than just being told I'm wrong and be expected to believe it.

Don't worry, you don't have another Adam or ExtraSense on your hands. :D Just a curious individual.

Neither of these groups could apparently have an intelligent conversation with a cucumber. Sorry if that sounds pompous, but if I'm wrong, I'd like to be told why[/i'] rather than just being told I'm wrong and be expected to believe it.
You're wrong, believe it because I said so. Why? Because I talk to cucumbers all the time. They're not stupid, they're just seedy.

Welcome JohnB, I like your style. :D

Hmm, someone who does hold intelligent conversations with cucumbers. Well, i guess it's an improvement. :D

Thanks Phi, I lurked for a while before joining. I figured that any group with a "rhyming thread" that goes for 8 pages had to have a sense of humour. I was also impressed with the way that even obvious loonies were treated by the mods and members.

I was also impressed with the way that even obvious loonies were treated by the mods and members.
Sometimes they give me a cookie!

The Rhyming thread's OK, but we need you over in the Official Jokes section, too. Read them all, memorize them, and then add any new ones you can think of. Things are very serious here, what with the science and the politics and all. We need some funny.

How are you gentlemen. All your base... ehh, I mean hello.

I've been around for a while (as you may have noticed), but I'm still a forum noob and I haven't exactly posted anything in this thread... So, hi. :)

I'm from Finland (no, we don't have polar bears here!), and I'm usually rather bitchy about it, since it sucks to live here and I'm planning to move to the U.S. or UK as soon as I can. :D

My favourite area of science is chemistry (especially radiochemistry), and I found the Oh-So-Magnificent Science Forums when I searched more info about the Radioactive Boyscout-case. I think there was a thread about it in the chemistry forum, and so, here I am. :)

• 3 weeks later...
hi, this is Kristi, formerly kedge, what happened, i don't know. Yes, chemistry is great, and genetics....oh yes. my past two research papers have been on cloning and DNA mapping. Where I live, Im surrounded by idiots and guys that aren't worth anything, which makes me wonder why they are worth any trouble (no offense to the good guys).I'm still in high school-a senior. I love this site bc i love science

R U hot? Come to NZ and lets talk about how to remove pre-zygotic barriers!

Hi I'm Skye and I'm amused by puffer fish. Mainly because I caught some the other day that were in little sand pools. How? By herding them onto the sand. Yes, they swam onto the sand. Fish. Swimming onto land. Not only that, but they then puffed themself up so they were even more screwed. I'm wondering whether it has anything to do with their tiny genomes. That, and just laughing my arse off at them.

ROFLMAO at the thought, I cant imagine how you didn't drown from laughing.