Moderation Consideration (off-topic posts split from Spotting Pseudoscience)

Popcorn Sutton

01555CL.GIF

Cheese Nips need no refrigeration, they glow in the dark so you can find them easily, they have a half-shelf-life of ~10,000 years and the mice and cockroaches won't touch them. And they go well with every drink, from beer to chocolate milk to grapefruit juice.

I hate the idea of positive and negative reinforcement. It's what causes people to be so emotional.

I believe you've put the cart before the horse, as people being emotional is why they respond positively or negatively. Also, I think you're misusing the terms positive and negative reinforcement. Those tend to refer to behavioral conditioning (get a treat when you do something right, buzzing sound goes away when you plug in the seat belt in your car, for example). I suspect you're referring to the up and down votes on posts, aka rep?

I believe you've put the cart before the horse, as people being emotional is why they respond positively or negatively. Also, I think you're misusing the terms positive and negative reinforcement. Those tend to refer to behavioral conditioning (get a treat when you do something right, buzzing sound goes away when you plug in the seat belt in your car, for example). I suspect you're referring to the up and down votes on posts, aka rep?

Or possibly the end of the freemasons video.

Or possibly the end of the freemasons video.

Ah, of course. Thanks for that. (just so folks are clear, though... that's positive reinforcement versus punishment, not positive reinforcement versus negative reinforcement). Cheers.

I believe you've put the cart before the horse,

There was this magnificent mathematical horse. You could teach it virtually anything with no problems, it could even prove theorems in euclidean geometry. But when you tried to teach it analytic geometry, it would go crazy and get violent.

The moral of this story is that you can't put Descartes before the horse.

No I could care less about the voting system on this forum. I think that the more votes the better. You simply can't draw any meaningful conclusions about someone based on their grades, which is what this voting system is like. But either way, the trading system is bad and or education system needs to be adjusted. If kids want to be smarter than their teachers, they can be smarter (if you can even measure that). Then because the teacher is in an authoritative position, they positively or negatively reinforce, which is degrading. It may be useful for criminals but it shouldnt be used on the average person. I dated a student of psychology for a while and absolutely couldn't be with her anymore because she whole heartedly believed that positive and negative behavioral reinforcement was the only way to make people change... she definitely changed things, I left her.

As for the comment about descartes, I don't get it, but the man was brilliant.

If kids want to be smarter than their teachers, they can be smarter (if you can even measure that).

You seem to be confusing intellect, knowledge, motivation and paractical application, treating all as if they were a single entity. It is quite reasonable for kids to become more knowledgeable than their teachers - if they are smart enough and motivated enough to do it.

Then because the teacher is in an authoritative position, they positively or negatively reinforce, which is degrading.

Incorrect. The teacher uses reinforcement, not because they are in a position of authority, but because it works. I would be truly fascinated how you would go about encouraging learning in individuals without using such techniques. Further, you imply that reinforcement can only be used on persons below you in a heirarchy. Rubbish! I routinely use the techniques, with good effect on peers and superiors.

As for the comment about descartes, I don't get it, but the man was brilliant.

Unfortunately puns on Leibniz are more difficult to integrate into the fabric of a conversation, or differentiate them from a general comment..