Star Trek

ydoaPs

Where are you from? I thought it came out on the 8th? So the earliest would be at 12 tonight!

Yea, was never a Star Trek fan, but I have high hopes for this movie.

I currently live in VA. Early showings started at 7pm

Woo hoo! 1st series of DS9 has just turned up on DVD. Hoping my wife will like it...... "to boldly stay in one place, where no-one has stayed in one place before!"

seen this yesterday. amazing movie even though i'm not very into the trek.

seen my first genuine trekkie. a roughly 13-year old acne ridden 15 stone 5 foot tall captain kirk. funniest thing i've ever seen. his mum was complaining that it was the third time he'd been to see the film that day.

scotty's accent is actually pretty good. i like the 'get tae ...' line pity they never let him finish it.

I've read too much about the movie and now my expectations are way up. I like the changes and deviation from the Star Trek canon I've heard so far (not sure if I'm using that word correctly, doesn't make a lot of sense to me..)

Does anyone know how long it is? I'm taking my kids Sunday afternoon, and I'm looking forward to yelling "Go Star Wars!!" to any trekkies I run into. Maybe an inquisitive reference to Darth Vader might be fun too. 'Hey, does Kirk get his first light saber in this one?'

The wife and I are going to see it in IMAX this afternoon. I'm not dressing up but I'm a trekkie.

I've read too much about the movie and now my expectations are way up. I like the changes and deviation from the Star Trek canon I've heard so far (not sure if I'm using that word correctly, doesn't make a lot of sense to me..)
I will never understand why people like to know all about a movie before they see it. If I know I'm going to watch a movie, I stop watching trailers for it, I don't go to web sites looking for behind the scenes info, and I definitely don't ask others who have seen it what they think. I want to be surprised, I want to see it fresh, and it takes me out of the whole experience when I get to a part I've seen a bunch of times in clips.

Honestly, I usually never do, for the same reasons. I don't want to know plots or anything. However, I had not planned on seeing it. I've been disconnected from Star Trek ever since TNG went off the air. I fell for the disparaging remarks by die hard Trek fans and went to read about it to see how they screwed it up.

And then I was surprised to learn how Nimoy supported the film, Gene Roddenbury's wife, now deceased, doing the computer voice, and Abrams' insistence on high security - actors receiving their lines one scene at a time and so forth. And the high praise for Quinto's performance, including Nimoy's compliment that he brought a fresh dimension to Spock.

That stuff interested me and now I want to see it really bad.

But as far as plot and trailers, I've only seen the previews on TV. I wouldn't want to know any of that before seeing the flick. I'm just one of those guys that really enjoys the "process" of creation. I love behind the scenes stuff on movies, books, music, any of that. I'm fascinated by it.

And then I was surprised to learn how Nimoy supported the film, Gene Roddenbury's wife, now deceased, doing the computer voice, and Abrams' insistence on high security - actors receiving their lines one scene at a time and so forth. And the high praise for Quinto's performance, including Nimoy's compliment that he brought a fresh dimension to Spock.

I am a fan, but with the original I was more a Nimoy fan than anything else. His voice is right up there with Morgan Freeman. I will be disappointed with anyone trying to replace Spock, but I will have to watch it.

It is difficult to get past the nerd factor of watching a Star Trek movie.

The names of the computers in our institute are Star Trek characters (with the exception of the admin's computer which is named "Enterprise") :eyebrow:

I am a fan, but with the original I was more a Nimoy fan than anything else. His voice is right up there with Morgan Freeman. I will be disappointed with anyone trying to replace Spock, but I will have to watch it.

Well Nimoy does have a significant role to play in this movie. (And Majel Barrett-Roddenberry reprises her role as the ship's computer's voice)

I am a huge Star Trek fan, so I was skeptical and dismissive. But I did go and it was excellent. They made something novel and equally appealing (for different reasons than the original).

The movie is full of inconsistencies, it not only doesn't follow Star Trek canon it's pseudoscience is totally inconsistent with the "real" star Trek universe, or even common sense, Red matter? Forms a black hole "after" you remove a tiny amount? The inside of the engineering area of the Enterprise looks like an abandoned 1960's chemical manufacturing plant. They show the Enterprise under construction on the ground! And the Enterprise has a window for a view screen. A FREAKIN' WINDOW! I wonder if it has windshield wipers. The writers should have taken some time to at least watch a few episodes of TNG or even TOS. A window? Really? A FREAKIN WINDOW?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

3KRc7fn434Y

BS pangloss, the death star is so slow and awkward the enterprise would run rings around it and photon torpedo it to itsy bitsy pieces :D The empire doesn't even have subspace fields, how silly is that u-tube video, really? :rolleyes: Just transport a photon torpedo into the death star and boom! no more death star, just like shooting klingons back home!

Edited by Moontanman
Consecutive posts merged.

This movie was definitely sweet, I couldn't have expected anything cooler before watching it. Now, hopefully that it's been introduced to the public, we can get some more star trek up in the !@#$% to satisfy the SciFi cravings!