Do you feel a lot better by using a bigger screen phone?

kenny1999

For a long time, I'd like to get a smartphone with a large screen but I haven't yet got one because there are some trade-offs, e.g. weight and convenience. If I don't watch videos or play mobile games, I just use my phone to read ebook and information on the web (mainly text and pictures), will it feel a lot better by using a bigger screen? What's your opinion?

19 minutes ago, kenny1999 said:

For a long time, I'd like to get a smartphone with a large screen but I haven't yet got one because there are some trade-offs, e.g. weight and convenience. If I don't watch videos or play mobile games, I just use my phone to read ebook and information on the web (mainly text and pictures), will it feel a lot better by using a bigger screen? What's your opinion?

Depends on what's on it.

Some stories are easier to parse in person... 

4 hours ago, kenny1999 said:

Get the smallest you can. Then there is some chance you can the damned thing into a pocket. 

51 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Get the smallest you can. Then there is some chance you can the damned thing into a pocket. 

It is difficult to get a small one.I got this by going to a reconditioned phone website.

It is 2017 and a 4 inch screen.

There was an awful problem getting a battery for it  ,though (the battery it came with was on its last legs) as they don't ship them in aircraft any more and I had to visit phone stores around town to look for old batteries  from broken phones.

I prefer these smaller screens  for convenience even though they are no doubt harder to read.

When a man buys a modern smartphone with a large size, such as 6.5 inches, needs to think about everything in advance, and buy a whole new set of clothes with large enough pockets. Girls have it easier, as they tend to carry a purse with them throughout the day.

Edited by Sensei

1 hour ago, geordief said:

It is difficult to get a small one.I got this by going to a reconditioned phone website.

It is 2017 and a 4 inch screen.

There was an awful problem getting a battery for it  ,though (the battery it came with was on its last legs) as they don't ship them in aircraft any more and I had to visit phone stores around town to look for old batteries  from broken phones.

I prefer these smaller screens  for convenience even though they are no doubt harder to read.

I ran my 3G iPhone, the original Jonathan Ive design, until last year. I replaced with the smallest modern iPhone I could get (SE), which is still a bit too long to be ideal but better than the others. I do most of my internet stuff on the laptop or iPad, not the phone, so I have no use for a large screen on the phone. 

Just now, exchemist said:

I ran my 3G iPhone, the original Jonathan Ive design, until last year. I replaced with the smallest modern iPhone I could get (SE), which is still a bit too long to be ideal but better than the others. I do most of my internet stuff on the laptop or iPad, not the phone, so I have no use for a large screen on the phone. 

It was strange when I went to the Vodafone shop this week with the intention of buying a new phone  and ,except for really expensive  models there was nothing they could offer me under 6 inches. 

Looking online ,I had no more luck

I am pretty surprised that these large sizes are what people seem to want ..

Yes  I think IPhones seem to be available in smaller sizes  than eg Samsung.

2 hours ago, Externet said:

…when am talking on the phone.  Other than to initiate or end the call.

What is a “call,” and why would you ever do that on a phone? Or, do you maybe mean one of those audio only Zooms from the corded TikTok app like my grandmother used to talk about??

59 minutes ago, CharonY said:

if I wouldn't be pegged as a drug dealer.

I had no idea it was so frowned upon to open a coffee shop. Have you wanted to be a barista for long? ;) 

7 minutes ago, geordief said:

except for really expensive  models there was nothing they could offer me under 6 inches. 

That’s what she said 

8 minutes ago, geordief said:

I am pretty surprised that these large sizes are what people seem to want ..

It’s far easier to text, write, and read on larger screens. The keyboard is easier to use (tho less relevant now with speech to text). These activities compose the bulk of use cases for majority of modern day phone users. 

2 hours ago, CharonY said:

I honestly would have gotten a flip phone (the non-smart ones), if I wouldn't be pegged as a drug dealer.

Mine's a flipphone.  So far, no one's asked me if I'm "holding."  Maybe I'd need more visible bling?  Or a few days beard growth?

One of my offspring IS a drug dealer,* but they have a smartphone.

There are computers everywhere, so just don't feel the need to carry one with me. For me it's a plus if I take a trip and have no smartphone, as it enforces a break from the Net, something I seek occasionally (like the last five days, as it happens).  If there's some unusual need to go online, I go to a public library or take a small tablet to a spot with public wifi.  If I'm on a hike, I take this ancient artifact made from pulped tree fibers called a "topo map."  

* they work in a pharmacy

1 hour ago, iNow said:

That’s what she said 

Apparently, when one sees this joke opportunity, resistance is futile.

Unfortunately this happened today when the missus needed to expand our drop-leaf table for some project, and said innocently, I need twelve more inches for this job.  You would think she'd know better by now.

I very much preferred my flip phone and resisted for years, but finally got one of the new ones (I intentionally will NOT call it a smart phone-- it has no intelligence of its own!)

I tested all the available models to find the largest that will still slide into my shirt pocket.  3.5" wide and 7" long.  The length comes in handy because I set the screen saver to show the  time as an analog dial superimposed on a picture of the grandfather clock in our home.

11 hours ago, kenny1999 said:

What's your opinion?

I use my smartphone to create my own Android application for it..

I have never installed any 3rd party application on any of my devices (built-in the system does not count). There is just dozen of mine..

Currently, none of my devices have a Google account logged in, so I can't even get into the Google Play Store. And it's fine. I just uploaded the new Friday app to the device.