Man suffocates to death from blocked nose during sleep.

LaraKnowles

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/DIY+snoring+cure+killed+man+of+26%3B+Tampons+put+up+nose.-a061333426 

The coroner, Michael Burgess, concluded that he suffocated in his sleep mainly because he was unable to breathe through his nose, which was blocked (by tampons).

Every medical website I can find says that people can breathe through their mouth, which contradicts the articles.

Which is true? These two things directly contradict the other.

9 hours ago, LaraKnowles said:

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/DIY+snoring+cure+killed+man+of+26%3B+Tampons+put+up+nose.-a061333426 

The coroner, Michael Burgess, concluded that he suffocated in his sleep mainly because he was unable to breathe through his nose, which was blocked (by tampons).

Every medical website I can find says that people can breathe through their mouth, which contradicts the articles.

Which is true? These two things directly contradict the other.

Oh God, not this rubbish again:

http://www.sciforums.com/threads/man-suffocates-to-death-in-his-sleep-because-his-nose-was-blocked.166127/page-2#post-3718554

This story, from 30 years ago, concerns an idiot suffering from sleep apnoea, in which the throat collapses due to lack of muscle tension. He decided it would be a smart idea to stop the snoring due to his apnoea by shoving a tampon up each nostril, getting drunk and then taking sleeping pills.

Unsurprisingly, the combined effect of sleeping pills and a large amount of alcohol made it impossible for him to wake up when his throat collapsed. This is what the coroner found, not anything to do with breathing through the nose, which is made up by this poster, who seems to have an obsession about it for some reason. This story resembles other daft stories circulated in the past, including several about spontaneous combustion and (my favourite) a story from the 1920s about a man allegedly strangled by his own thymus gland.  

Edited by exchemist

1 hour ago, exchemist said:

Oh God, not this rubbish again:

http://www.sciforums.com/threads/man-suffocates-to-death-in-his-sleep-because-his-nose-was-blocked.166127/page-2#post-3718554

This story, from 30 years ago, concerns an idiot suffering from sleep apnoea, in which the throat collapses due to lack of muscle tension. He decided it would be a smart idea to stop the snoring due to his apnoea by shoving a tampon up each nostril, getting drunk and then taking sleeping pills.

Unsurprisingly, the combined effect of sleeping pills and a large amount of alcohol made it impossible for him to wake up when his throat collapsed. This is what the coroner found, not anything to do with breathing through the nose, which is made up by this poster, who seems to have an obsession about it for some reason. This story resembles other daft stories circulated in the past, including several about spontaneous combustion and (my favourite) a story from the 1920s about a man allegedly strangled by his own thymus gland.  

So, why did the coroner say the tampons (blocking the nose) contributed to him suffocating? https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12117183.man-dies-in-bid-to-stop-his-snoring/#:~:text=Mr Mark Gleeson%2C 26%2C of,took a few sleeping tablets.

If humans can breathe through their mouths during sleep, how could him being unable to breathe through his nose have contributed in any way?

3 hours ago, LaraKnowles said:

So, why did the coroner say the tampons (blocking the nose) contributed to him suffocating? https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12117183.man-dies-in-bid-to-stop-his-snoring/#:~:text=Mr Mark Gleeson%2C 26%2C of,took a few sleeping tablets.

The coroner didn’t say that.

“Pathologist Dr Peter Jackson said Mr Gleeson's death, on January 23, was caused by asphyxiation due in part to the tampons, and said the sleeping tablets would also have added to his breathing difficulties.

Coroner Michael Burgess recorded a verdict of accidental death.”

The coroner was Burgess. The remark is attributed to Jackson.  The article doesn’t clarify Jackson’s involvement in the case.  

1 minute ago, swansont said:

The coroner didn’t say that.

“Pathologist Dr Peter Jackson said Mr Gleeson's death, on January 23, was caused by asphyxiation due in part to the tampons, and said the sleeping tablets would also have added to his breathing difficulties.

Coroner Michael Burgess recorded a verdict of accidental death.”

The coroner was Burgess. The remark is attributed to Jackson.  The article doesn’t clarify Jackson’s involvement in the case.  

If humans can breathe through their mouths how could the tampons have contributed at all?

Do you believe that humans can breathe through their mouths when their nose is blocked or not? 

Edited by LaraKnowles

Just now, LaraKnowles said:

If humans can breathe through their mouths how could the tampons have contributed at all?

I don’t know. I’m not a pathologist.

Just now, LaraKnowles said:

Can humans breathe through their mouths or not? 

Yes, most of the time.

5 hours ago, exchemist said:

This story resembles other daft stories circulated in the past, including several about spontaneous combustion and (my favourite) a story from the 1920s about a man allegedly strangled by his own thymus gland.  

This is now added to my list of favorites.  Another was a story about wombats having rectangular poo and using it, like bricks, to make protective walls around their burrows.

Amusing to watch someone have the sleep apnea/drugs factors explained over and over and it having seemingly no effect on their single-minded fixation.  

7 minutes ago, TheVat said:

This is now added to my list of favorites.  Another was a story about wombats having rectangular poo and using it, like bricks, to make protective walls around their burrows.

Amusing to watch someone have the sleep apnea/drugs factors explained over and over and it having seemingly no effect on their single-minded fixation.  

I'm not denying he had sleep apnea and took sleeping pills and wine.

I am asking how the tampons could have contributed (the coroner said they did) https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12117183.man-dies-in-bid-to-stop-his-snoring/ if humans are allegedly able to breathe through their mouths during sleep. 

Edited by LaraKnowles

8 minutes ago, TheVat said:

But that might be Aussies having a laugh at the expense of visitors. Like the famous Drop Bears.

20 minutes ago, LaraKnowles said:

I am asking how the tampons could have contributed if humans are allegedly able to breathe through their mouths during sleep. 

Read. The. Answers. Already. Posted.

18 minutes ago, exchemist said:

might be Aussies having a laugh at the expense of visitors. Like the famous Drop Bears

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/scientists-have-solved-mystery-how-wombats-poop-cubes-180976898/

Science!

Edited by TheVat

The common cold would be a lot more deadly, if a blocked nose was a risk of death. My sister's had several operations for polyps in her nostrils. They keep growing back. It's not often she can breathe through her nose.

Not a very intelligent design. 

I wonder if there's any racial difference in performance? Visually, the nose is a very obvious racial difference.  

1 hour ago, LaraKnowles said:

I am asking how the tampons could have contributed (the coroner said they did) https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12117183.man-dies-in-bid-to-stop-his-snoring/ if humans are allegedly able to breathe through their mouths during sleep. 

We’ve established that coroner did not say they did. Someone else said it. We don’t know how familiar the pathologist was with the case, and if it was a doctor who was interviewed to get a quote, we don’t know exactly what the reporter asked them. 

We’ve also established that there are circumstances where you can’t breathe through your mouth. So we’ve covered this.There are situations where you can’t breathe through your mouth but could breathe through your nose. Perhaps that was what the pathologist was referring to. It’s not clear.

16 hours ago, LaraKnowles said:

Every medical website I can find says that people can breathe through their mouth

It actually says that on every medical website? I'd kind of be surprised if they stated that on even one website. Maybe it is listed where they state that humans eventually die.

2 hours ago, LaraKnowles said:

Do you believe that humans can breathe through their mouths when their nose is blocked or not? 

5 hours ago, LaraKnowles said:

If humans can breathe through their mouths during sleep

2 hours ago, LaraKnowles said:

if humans are allegedly able to breathe through their mouths

You can't seriously be unclear about whether humans breathe through their mouths, sleeping or not. Are you trolling us?

Sleep apnea is a bit confusing, even if you've had experience of it. 

Obstructive sleep apnea is when the soft palate obstructs the airway during sleep, so they say. But my dad had it quite bad, and he would fall asleep during the day, after a meal. He would be breathing perfectly normally, quite loud, and then suddenly stop. There was no attempt to breathe that was obstructed, he would just stop breathing. I poked him awake many a time, fearing that he had kicked the bucket, and he would just give me a surprised look, and resume breathing. 

It didn't come across as obstructed breathing. He just stopped, and then nothing, and eventually he would start again, as if nothing had happened. No clearing of the throat or anything of that sort, it was just stop, .   .    .    .      .    .   .   . and then start again. 

It seemed clear to me that the normal signal to breathe ( too much CO2 in the blood ) was stopping working, on an intermittent basis. Maybe, when you have an obstructive palate, the CO2 reflex gets over-used, and stops working at times.