TFG or That Florida Guy? Either way, can the GOP win in 2024?

Phi for All

3 hours ago, TheVat said:

until the Convention draws nigh

I am holding to a whisper of a hope that they are intentionally planning to do a candidate switcher-oo at the convention where Biden steps down and Harris / Newsom then blast a bunch of fresh energy into the race talking about things that actually matter (aka: something other than Cheeto Mussolini)

Edited by iNow

1 hour ago, swansont said:

I read that Egyptians have use "Mexico" as secret code for Al-Sisi to avoid censorship since they’re not allowed to criticize his regime. If that’s true, the mixup doesn’t seem so strange.

That would certainly make more sense of what's otherwise an odd crossed wire.  

1 hour ago, iNow said:

I am holding to a whisper of a hope that they are intentionally planning to do a candidate switcher-oo at the convention where Biden steps down and Harris / Newsom then blast a bunch of fresh energy into the race talking about things that actually matter (aka: something other than Cheeto Mussolini)

That would be great, if moderate voters could see two California pols as not too much of a stretch.  That's why I was thinking Kelly or Whitmer.  

7 hours ago, TheVat said:

That would certainly make more sense of what's otherwise an odd crossed wire.  

That would be great, if moderate voters could see two California pols as not too much of a stretch.  That's why I was thinking Kelly or Whitmer.  

Well, considering the crises that he is managing (border to Mexico, Gaza, Ukraine etc) I think a gaffe is understandable. Not noticing it is a tad worse, but ar least in isolation, I wouldn't be particularly concerned. At least not in the current state if the world.

14 hours ago, iNow said:

Not sure the voters would appreciate the bait and switch, especially to Harris. (Though I think there is currently a move to recover her popularity which is much needed to run on the ticket as VP)

2 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Not sure the voters would appreciate the bait and switch, especially to Harris. (Though I think there is currently a move to recover her popularity which is much needed to run on the ticket as VP)

Do you really think they'd switch to the Donald?

Are there any fence sitters anymore?

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

Do you really think they'd switch to the Donald?

Are there any fence sitters anymore?

I would hope not, but this is going to be much closer than it should be...which will still be true if the Dems win in a landslide...but can we really take anything for granted?

Trump may or may not be more likely to win than in 2016 or 2020, but IMO he's considerably more dangerous.

28 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

I would hope not, but this is going to be much closer than it should be...which will still be true if the Dems win in a landslide...but can we really take anything for granted?

Yesterday was true, lets start from there...

14 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Where does Putin find the time?

Yes, he's probably having enough of a struggle working out his opening speech for the "Countries who prosecute their political opponents' convention.

On 2/21/2024 at 4:27 AM, LaurieAG said:

Yes, he's probably having enough of a struggle working out his opening speech for the "Countries who prosecute their political opponents' convention.

I hope that one isn't held on the same weekend as the "Focus on the laws broken no matter who breaks them" convention. That would be awkward.

2 hours ago, Phi for All said:

I hope that one isn't held on the same weekend as the "Focus on the laws broken no matter who breaks them" convention. That would be awkward.

Possibly but there are expected to be many clashes in the year of "Engineering a bigger and better Warsaw Ghetto 'legit'", courtesy of the NY Yacht Club lawyers fan club.

Edited by LaurieAG

On 2/18/2024 at 12:13 AM, J.C.MacSwell said:

I don't think the fallout, if there will be any, from Putin doing in Navalny would have registered on any polls yet.

On 2/18/2024 at 10:18 AM, iNow said:

Yeah, valid point ✌️

I watched the SC polls and really didn't see the bump I hoped to see, but then in the actual primary Haley seemed to go up by 5% and Trump down by about 2. Those were around the numbers I hoped to see going into the primary which I would have then hoped they'd go a little higher for Haley, and a little lower indicating trouble for Trump.

Not sure what to make of it other than though disappointed I'm glad to see Haley seem upbeat and remaining in the race and continuing to campaign at least toward Super Tuesday.

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

1 hour ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Not sure what to make of it

Facts don’t pierce the cults bubble. There is only one godhead, his skin is the color or Doritos, and his enemies are trying to hurt me and my family. All praise. Jonestown koolaid. 

All the time Hayley is in the news dilutes and delays Trump's desire to just focus on everything else and, of course, himself. Her best shot is to be a persistent arsefly until she really is out. She should look at this as training and building credibility for 2028.

Edited by StringJunky

7 hours ago, iNow said:

Or until he’s arrested 

It won't matter. There is nothing to keep "The Donald" (as he used to be known) from running for or serving as President while in jail. In 1920 Eugene Debs got over 3% of the vote while serving a jail term for sedition (because of his vocal opposition to WW1).

7 hours ago, CharonY said:

I fear the issue is that the norms have shifted so much, that removal of that particular guy might not change future trajectories.

Indeed, it/he seems like the fowl tasting medicine we just have to swallow, before we get better...

The political pendulum has to reach it's zenith before it can swing the other way; the Trump may just be the easiest to swallow, we sure don't want it to ferment on that fruit...

3 hours ago, npts2020 said:

It won't matter. There is nothing to keep "The Donald" (as he used to be known) from running for or serving as President while in jail. In 1920 Eugene Debs got over 3% of the vote while serving a jail term for sedition (because of his vocal opposition to WW1).

Well, some of the charges TFG faces could be deemed “high crimes and misdemeanors” within the meaning of Article II, Section 4 of the Constitution, thus warranting impeachment by the House and removal by the Senate. Second, if Trump is actually in prison on Inauguration Day, that fact could render him “unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office” within the meaning of the Twenty-fifth Amendment.  While I can see that a slender Democrat majority might have trouble executing a section 4 removal, the practical obstacle to the duties of POTUS by incarceration might be enough to incline some GOP congresspeople to vote against TFG on impeachment.  It might depend on who the Veep is.

And if Jack Smith's insurrection case secured a conviction, that would allow execution of section 3 of the 14th A, and TFG would be rendered ineligible to take the oath of office again.  (had Debs won in 1920, that would likely have been the means of barring him from actually taking office)

11 hours ago, TheVat said:

Well, some of the charges TFG faces could be deemed “high crimes and misdemeanors” within the meaning of Article II, Section 4 of the Constitution, thus warranting impeachment by the House and removal by the Senate. Second, if Trump is actually in prison on Inauguration Day, that fact could render him “unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office” within the meaning of the Twenty-fifth Amendment.  While I can see that a slender Democrat majority might have trouble executing a section 4 removal, the practical obstacle to the duties of POTUS by incarceration might be enough to incline some GOP congresspeople to vote against TFG on impeachment.  It might depend on who the Veep is.

Maybe but I am not that optimistic. Besides, it seems any likely VP will be as bad or worse policy wise.  If he actually ended up both in jail and President, think of the taxpayer money that could be saved on paying for secret service protection and golfing junkets.

15 hours ago, npts2020 said:

It won't matter. There is nothing to keep "The Donald" (as he used to be known) from running for or serving as President while in jail.

Except a conviction will lead to him getting fewer votes even among his ardent supporters and thus not serving at all given how tight the margins appear to be 

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/americans-divided-whether-president-biden-received-special-treatment-classified-documents-report

A majority of Americans say they would not vote for Trump if he was convicted of a felony or was currently serving time in prison. A bare majority (55%) say that they would NOT vote for Donald Trump if he was convicted of a felony crime by a jury, while 58% say they would NOT vote for Trump if he was currently serving time in prison