I could not reach Scienceforums for 3 days

10 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

Just to keep us humble. Like the proverbial father who withheld breakfast and lunch from his children, so they would appreciate their dinner.  

Plus, our own server went down yesterday afternoon and I was reduced to re-watching Stargate Atlantis on DVD, which wasn't all that impressive the first time around. So, anything happen while I was in the dark?

This?

https://www.sciencealert.com/quantum-entanglement-has-now-been-directly-observed-at-the-macroscopic-scale#

32 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

Just to keep us humble. Like the proverbial father who withheld breakfast and lunch from his children, so they would appreciate their dinner.  

Charles Trevelyan says hello!  

34 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

Plus, our own server went down yesterday afternoon and I was reduced to re-watching Stargate Atlantis on DVD, which wasn't all that impressive the first time around.

One word for you:  Picard.  Outstanding first season.  

(JK about Charles Trevelyan)

30 minutes ago, geordief said:

Much better than tormenting tardigrades.  Not that the tough little buggers can't take it. 

2 hours ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

Correct. 

They are listed in the staff directory as an admin and the mods and admin all know who he is, but that doesn’t always mean we can get in touch easily. Honestly, it wouldn’t be SFN if we didn’t let the domain lapse every few years. 

'tis the season to be lapsing, our domain fa-la-la-la

1 hour ago, geordief said:

This?

Oooh! At this very millennium, somewhere in a distant arm of the galaxy, an identical sun is aligning the orbits of its 8.5 planets to match ours. Sweet!

45 minutes ago, TheVat said:

One word for you:  Picard.  Outstanding first season.  

Thanks; will check it. We did recently get Crusade , but it's reserved for together-time; can't watch it in insomniac time.  

4 hours ago, TheVat said:

Thanks.  Yup, I found the amusing downtime thread from October 2019 ("it was perfect!")

I was thinking it was further back, but then 2019 was about ten years ago…

4 hours ago, TheVat said:

I wondered if one of the mods was an owner or knew the owner, so tried to find email for them, but found only a PM button for swansont at thenakedscientist website.  And his last activity there was 2015.

Saw the notification today. Yesterday was a lost day; I got flu and COVID booster shots on Tuesday. Completely wiped me out.

42 minutes ago, geordief said:

Sorry,that one went right through me😀

It's entirely possible that it was I who misunderstood you.

Quantum tunneling is, in a manner of speaking, a way for something to disappear at some place and reappear somewhere else, in a totally continuous way, through its wave function. You wouldn't need any cuts or stitches, or surgical trusses. Then politics came up and I tip-toed away. :rolleyes:

Wasn't something like that what you meant?

Edited by joigus
minor correction

53 minutes ago, joigus said:

It's entirely possible that it was I who misunderstood you.

Quantum tunneling is, in a manner of speaking, a way for something to disappear at some place and reappear somewhere else, in a totally continuous way, through its wave function. You wouldn't need any cuts or stitches, or surgical trusses. Then politics came up and I tip-toed away. :rolleyes:

Wasn't something like that what you meant?

I had an inguinal hernia  until the spring (when I had the operation)

A surgical truss **can be  prescribed  in the period before the operation (never used it )

I was responding  to "brace yourselves" and the truss came to mind as something a bit  comical.

I never imagined quantum tunneling might come to my aid in my time of discomfort but ,if my other  (rhs)  inguinal canal pops out  I will be sure to mention it to my doctor.

Thankfully my own operation was very successful and with no painful  consequences-not an outcome granted to everyone  it seems

**it works to keep the  intestinal wall from bulging  too much.

4 minutes ago, geordief said:

A surgical truss **can be  prescribed  in the period before the operation (never used it )

:doh:Subtle language barrier there. I'm not a native English speaker, and I obviously missed the nuance.

Sorry.

10 minutes ago, joigus said:

:doh:Subtle language barrier there. I'm not a native English speaker, and I obviously missed the nuance.

Sorry.

See you have πάντα χωρεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει  in your profile.

I like that phrase and often recall it.

You didn't do Greek at any stage did you? (I did  but it didn't suit me at University-I didn't want to teach for one thing as my father was a teacher and of course I had to be different to him)

15 minutes ago, geordief said:

You didn't do Greek at any stage did you? (I did  but it didn't suit me at University-I didn't want to teach for one thing as my father was a teacher and of course I had to be different to him)

Unfortunately, no. I did Latin and French. But as soon as I went to university, I started spending every waking hour learning English. Later I tried to learn some German and Japanese, but I was too old by then to make them stick. In English I'm quite fluent when writing and speaking, and have no accent, which sometimes I miss, as accents are often regarded as "delightfully peculiar." My English is some kind of mix between American and British.

17 minutes ago, geordief said:

See you have πάντα χωρεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει  in your profile.

I like that phrase and often recall it.

Yes, Heraclitus' "everything flows and nothing stands still" is a nice summary of it all. Isn't it?

You take a bunch of phrases from the Greeks --the best ones, the scientists, the skeptics--, and all else looks like just adding details to the picture:

Everything is made of atoms. Everything changes...

9 hours ago, joigus said:

Yes, Heraclitus' "everything flows and nothing stands still" is a nice summary of it all. Isn't it?

But his statement is just not true.

I prefer "Time and Tide wait for no Man"

10 hours ago, geordief said:

Thankfully my own operation was very successful and with no painful  consequences-not an outcome granted to everyone  it seems

**it works to keep the  intestinal wall from bulging  too much.

At one time the truss was the only solution.

Inguinial hernias are by far and away the most common, with the patient's right hand side accounting for over 90% of cases.

I had one done in 2016, a repair that has remained successful since then.
I was also one of the unlucky ones who developed a LHS one in 2021 and had that repaired just before Christmas, at the ehight of the December Covid wave.

Again an excellent job.

Both time were done at a clinic that is a shining example of state - private working together in close harmony, demonstrating that thre is no intrinsic reason for such practice to work well.

2 hours ago, studiot said:

But his statement is just not true

Have you a counter example? A moment when two systems  are stationary wrt each other?

(There is also the saying "This too will pass" which might give comfort to the Tory Party - or the country at large  right now)

15 hours ago, joigus said:

I think it is. :D Besides, Heraclitus' is much less anthropocentric.

I was going to put my reasoning for my statement into an answer in the 'movement without time thread' , but the OP there seems to have lost interest.

So I will just point out that some (very important) equations of motion have time independent solutions.

• 1 year later...
On 10/20/2022 at 11:23 AM, joigus said:

Whois output now gives:

Updated Date: 2022-10-20T01:25:16Z

Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2023-10-16T12:23:19Z

Previous expiration date was October the 17, if I remember correctly.

So brace yourselves in one year's time. :D

Was everybody braced?

On 10/20/2022 at 3:35 PM, hypervalent_iodine said:

Correct. 

They are listed in the staff directory as an admin and the mods and admin all know who he is, but that doesn’t always mean we can get in touch easily. Honestly, it wouldn’t be SFN if we didn’t let the domain lapse every few years. 

[morbid]

Can anyone confirm that the domain owner is immortal, or at least that their will won't take a couple of years to clear probate?

[/morbid]

3 hours ago, swansont said:

Was everybody braced?

Not well braced.  I had a question about hydraulics and household plumbing on last Monday, so I removed my SFN ring and dallied with two other cute science forums.  Some exciting moments of cross-fertilization.  As a gentleman, I cannot share further.

I also discovered that Blike uses privacyadvocate.org as intermediary, so I filled out their handy little form yesterday, which then relays him the message.  No idea if that made a difference or if someone else reached him first.  

Edited by TheVat
spjgkr

On 10/20/2022 at 5:20 PM, TheVat said:

so tried to find email for them, but found only a PM button for swansont at thenakedscientist website.  And his last activity there was 2015.

When I was new to this forum I used to ask myself if Swansont is a person or a group of persons?...anyway,I got stuck to the forum and those questions vanished.
However,those kind of questions start coming back again when the forum becomes offline or when some of residential experts takes a longer period of time without posting.