I could not reach Scienceforums for 3 days

1 hour ago, MJ kihara said:

When I was new to this forum I used to ask myself if Swansont is a person or a group of persons?...anyway,I got stuck to the forum and those questions vanished.
However,those kind of questions start coming back again when the forum becomes offline or when some of residential experts takes a longer period of time without posting.

Swansont is a collective of professional naval gazers.

10 hours ago, swansont said:

Was everybody braced?

On 10/20/2022 at 2:43 PM, Sensei said:

Because you did not do what I asked to do years ago - there must be created alarm for mods starting a couple days before the next 16 October 2023,2024,2025+....

There will be probably second problem with expiration of SSL certificate...

Check when it has expiration date.

OK. I will do it for you...

https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html#hostname=www.scienceforums.net

"The certificate will expire in 43 days."

On 10/20/2022 at 2:43 PM, Sensei said:

This shows a severe problem. There should a group of people who have readily access to the server and will be able to pay bills for server, domain and certificate, and edit the settings. If there is one admin who has the all things on an encrypted and password-protected machine, his or her disappearance for whatever reason will be the end, as nobody will be able to pay bills in advance prior expiration date...

Edited by Sensei

Mind you, the site will be down (for the same reason) in about 2 years time now.

A genie told me.

So brace yourselves again for the temporary disappearance of your science-minded online persona in 6.2x107 seconds. :D 

6 minutes ago, joigus said:

Mind you, the site will be down (for the same reason) in about 2 years time now.

A genie told me.

So brace yourselves again for the temporary disappearance of your science-minded online persona in 6.2x107 seconds. :D 

That is so passe.As if history repeats itself.

On 10/20/2022 at 2:03 PM, swansont said:

As I understand it, the domain name can only be renewed by the owner if the domain name. The mods can’t do anything about it. 

If a few people get the reminder they can remind the admin to do it.   I am with portfast and I get a reminder 3 months before the renewal / expiry date. 

Either way,   thank you for renewing and keep up the good work,  admins and mods are all doing a fantastic job.

Not to be crude, but doesn't Blike give his RW name on the ICANN registry?  So deep privacy would seem not a huge issue with him.  Would it be overstepping for an admin to simply call his office and leave a message with the receptionist?  I'm not exactly Sherlock Holmes and I figured out his office location in about five minutes.  He has described his profession in old posts here and the last name is unusual.  Dots easily connected.  (being not a mod or admin, I just used the privacyadvocate.org contact form, which relays an email message - the problem there, I suspect, is that people will neglect old email boxes when they set out on a busy professional career)

Edited by TheVat

9 hours ago, joigus said:

A genie told me.

That is so passe. As if history repeats itself. 

9 hours ago, geordief said:

That is so passe.As if history repeats itself.

20 minutes ago, mistermack said:

That is so passe. As if history repeats itself. 

That is so passé. History always almost repeats itself, but not quite.

Just spent a while staring in puzzlement at the 'Unread Messages' notification half a dozen posts in on the first page of the thread. 

7 hours ago, TheVat said:

I'm not exactly Sherlock Holmes

... but I did eventually get around to checking the date a little more carefully.