War Games: Russia Takes Ukraine, China Takes Taiwan. US Response?

iNow

18 hours ago, toucana said:

The TASS news agency has just reported that Yevgeny Prigozhin the leader of the Wagner Group was one of 10 people killed when a private jet crashed near the Tver Region in Russia while on a flight from Moscow to St. Petersburg.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-66599774

Presumably it was logistically simpler than trying to position him next to an open window.

Flight path in the Flight Radar app:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ra-02795#31b7cbfb

ps. Note that "calibrated altitude" is incorrect. It should start with an altitude of 0 ft and a ground speed of 0 kts. Some data are cut, missing or altered.

Screenshot_2023-08-24_13_58_07.thumb.png.f5a70c4a7f7c91548d6d4eed3ddf85e6.png

Edited by Sensei

Prigozin's second airplane is currently in the middle of the Caspian Sea. At the end of its "trip" to Baku.

Screenshot_2023-08-24_16-27-56.thumb.png.dde117b45a7fc0f25a9b095471a509b4.png

Screenshot_2023-08-24_16-30-32.thumb.png.12f3b443e0183bc02cc47f044877e66a.png

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/embraer-erj-135-ra-02748-private/r1m2g6

Screenshot_2023-08-24_16-58-23.thumb.png.9fd8991cf002effc1519a56e95713379.png

ps. I'm attaching images because things on the Internet tend to disappear and/or change content all the time..

Edited by Sensei

I'm still not convinced he's dead. It's going to be dental records or dna to confirm it, but really, the world will only be told what Putin wants them to think, so what's announced won't confirm anything as fact. All you can safely say, is that it's probably likely that he's possibly dead. Especially as his number 2 is also claimed to have died, so they would be faking two deaths.

39 minutes ago, mistermack said:

I'm still not convinced he's dead. It's going to be dental records or dna to confirm it, but really, the world will only be told what Putin wants them to think, so what's announced won't confirm anything as fact. All you can safely say, is that it's probably likely that he's possibly dead. Especially as his number 2 is also claimed to have died, so they would be faking two deaths.

Also, they aren't going to blow up the flight crew for nothing.

10 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Also, they aren't going to blow up the flight crew for nothing.

Not for nothing, but to fake his death someone might. It's going a bit far, I think it's unlikely, but that's because I wouldn't do it. But for some people, the lives of others are incredibly cheap. The limiting factor for some people is would it work, not is it moral. 

That's why I'm still unsure about the Diana crash. The motive was there, the people involved WOULD do it, I'm sure, but would they be convinced they would get away with it? 

With the Russians, they're not too bothered with the last bit. And Prigozhin was not the most sympathetic of characters. Putin is the only one I've heard of who's expressed condolences.  😪

The UK has now recognized Taiwan as an independent country. 

The British parliament has for the first time referred to Taiwan as an "independent country" in an official document, breaking a political taboo as Foreign Secretary James Cleverly visits China this week.

The new language, adopted in a report published Wednesday by the influential foreign affairs committee of the House of Commons, risks a stinging backlash from Beijing and comes as Cleverly becomes the first top British envoy to visit Beijing in five years amid a frosty relationship.

Beijing has long denied Taiwan's statehood, insisting the self-governing democratic island is part of its territory. Only 13 countries around the world recognize Taipei instead of Beijing diplomatically.

"Taiwan is already an independent country, under the name Republic of China," the committee report says. "Taiwan possesses all the qualifications for statehood, including a permanent population, a defined territory, government, and the capacity to enter into relations with other states — it is only lacking greater international recognition."

According to Committee Chairperson Alicia Kearns, from the ruling Conservative Party, it's the first time a U.K. parliament report is making such a declaration. "We acknowledge China’s position, but we as [the foreign affairs committee] do not accept it," Kearns told POLITICO. "It is imperative the foreign secretary steadfastly and vocally stand by Taiwan and make clear we will uphold Taiwan’s right to self-determination."

"This commitment aligns not only with British values but also serves as a poignant message to autocratic regimes worldwide that sovereignty cannot be attained through violence or coercion," Kearns added.

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-parliament-calls-taiwan-independent-country-report-says-james-cleverly-visit-china/

• 3 months later...

“Russia launched more than 150 missiles and drones at several Ukrainian cities this morning, in what Ukrainian officials are calling one of the largest air attacks of the war. Officials said at least 30 people were killed and 160 wounded, the N.Y. Times reports.”

• 5 weeks later...

This particular youtuber is primarily motivated by his support for Ukraine and this video is no different with his frustration at the stalled American support. It describes very clearly the politics and reality of the use of immigration issues and why he feels nothing will be solved on that front. Probably nothing particularly new to most here and I'm sure others might have a different take but though politically independent I think he more blames the Republicans for the current impasse:

1 hour ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

he more blames the Republicans for the current impasse

Rightly, so. Democrats are doing everything possible to get the help available while GOP blocks it to satisfy a rabid jingoistic base, and GOP controls the HoR.

haven’t watched your video, tho

Edited by iNow

1 hour ago, iNow said:

Rightly, so. Democrats are doing everything possible to get the help available while GOP blocks it to satisfy a rabid jingoistic base, and GOP controls the HoR.

I think I read the other day Trump doesn't want the border fixing, he wants that to be his election issue. This seems to be why the GOP are in disarray; conflicting directions. 

37 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I think I read the other day Trump doesn't want the border fixing, he wants that to be his election issue. This seems to be why the GOP are in disarray; conflicting directions. 

The Republicans have been playing this game with the border for years.  They have no interest in dealing with it, as fixing it would give them one less thing to complain about, and all they have to run on are grievance issues.

8 minutes ago, Janus said:

and all they have to run on are grievance issues.

Plus fear and scapegoating and “other-ism” 

There are, of course, exceptions, but the overall trend is and has been for a very long time exactly as you say. 

3 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

This particular youtuber is primarily motivated by his support for Ukraine and this video is no different with his frustration at the stalled American support. It describes very clearly the politics and reality of the use of immigration issues and why he feels nothing will be solved on that front. Probably nothing particularly new to most here and I'm sure others might have a different take but though politically independent I think he more blames the Republicans for the current impasse:

Wow. Really good video. Thanks for sharing.

Excellent video, JC.

7 hours ago, iNow said:

I think you should ...

Pay special attention at the end where he explains how neither Republicans or Democrats fixed anything during the years they each controlled all parts of Government.
But the blame game works and keeps politicians getting re-elected without ever having to do anything abut it.
And the fact that all American politicians are rich enough to have illegal aliens as gardeners, nannies, drivers, etc.
( no sense having to pay Americans real living wages for those 'menial' services )

11 minutes ago, MigL said:

Excellent video, JC.

I think you should ...

Pay special attention at the end where he explains how neither Republicans or Democrats fixed anything during the years they each controlled all parts of Government.
But the blame game works and keeps politicians getting re-elected without ever having to do anything abut it.
And the fact that all American politicians are rich enough to have illegal aliens as gardeners, nannies, drivers, etc.
( no sense having to pay Americans real living wages for those 'menial' services )

Be interesting to do a count up of the employees from 'shithole' countries working for these wealthy GOP members.

3 hours ago, MigL said:

he explains how neither Republicans or Democrats fixed anything during the years they each controlled all parts of Government.

I’m aware already 

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Very sad to hear of Navalny's death.  A light has gone out of the world.

2021-02-11T144313Z_873646974_RC2EQL907OX

Heroic... no less. Vladimir Kara-Murza will not be far behind, I think. He's had the poison treatment as well. People like these humble me.