War Games: Russia Takes Ukraine, China Takes Taiwan. US Response?

iNow

And some Byelorussians are getting stirred up about all the chaos being a possible opportunity for ouster of the dictator Lukashenko.  From a Washington Post report....

A group of Belarusian volunteer fighters that has helped Ukraine defend against the Russian invasion urged their compatriots to stay out of Russia’s internal strife and prepare to rise up against their own authoritarian government.

“Favorable conditions for the destruction of the dictatorship are rapidly approaching,” a spokesman for the Kastus Kalinouski Regiment said in a video posted to the group’s Twitter account Saturday. “This is the beginning of the end of the great tyranny.”

Losing his Byelo puppet, now that would be embarassing for Putin, too.  (probably little chance, but you never know what the chaos of internal strife will bring)

Ypa.

2 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

He's probably halfway to Moscow already...(how long did it take him to take Bakhmut again?)

Now...I certainly hope news of this doesn't discourage any Russian troops on the front lines in Ukraine, LOL.

My favorite news snip this a.m. was from CNN, concerning a Wagner column seen on the move north of Voronezh.  Witnesses said they had seen troops....shopping.  

Edited by TheVat
pyto

Was that just a ruse to re-mobilize 25 000 Wagner fighters to be able to attack from the North? A Reuters headline:

Rebel Russian mercenaries halt advance on Moscow, Kremlin says fighters to face no action - Reuters

These guys committed treason, however you look at it. Or is it just strategic BS? Throwing chaff around for the next maneuver.

Edited by StringJunky

I'm kind of expecting Belarussian-based Wagner units in the future. Lukashenko is too worried about his own conscripts taking flight in battle and swapping sides. Even if not planned, it seems a reasonable potential progression plan  from here, based on what's just happened.

Edited by StringJunky

Just now, dimreepr said:

But never, before now, from weakness...

I don't think it's anywhere near that situation. It may look like impending Armaggedon to you, but this is just 'busy' for people like Putin... and even other leaders.

10 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I don't think it's anywhere near that situation. It may look like impending Armaggedon to you, but this is just 'busy' for people like Putin... and even other leaders.

Perhaps, but I did accuratly predict the start date of this war, somewhere in this thread; something to do with the Olympics, if memory serves... 

George called it "The road to wigan pier"

Edited by dimreepr

I'm incredulous that Putin will just move on from this, despite the so called deal that has been struck with Prigozhin.  Does anyone believe that Putin will actually honor this agreement?  The Kremlin has a long memory; I suspect Prigozhin is on "the list" now.

Edited by Alex_Krycek

7 minutes ago, Alex_Krycek said:

I suspect Prigozhin is on "the list" now.

It does seem likely he’ll be found in a hotel room or airport lounge having died of “natural causes” in a soonish timeline. 

7 minutes ago, iNow said:

It does seem likely he’ll be found in a hotel room or airport lounge having died of “natural causes” in a soonish timeline. 

Avoidable only if Prigozhin keeps an omnipresent Praetorian Guard, but even then...

Edited by Alex_Krycek

18 minutes ago, Alex_Krycek said:

I'm incredulous that Putin will just move on from this, despite the so called deal that has been struck with Prigozhin.  Does anyone believe that Putin will actually honor this agreement?  The Kremlin has a long memory; I suspect Prigozhin is on "the list" now.

Or it was mutually pre-conceived for strategic purposes. OR, Putin is in a really weak position and had no choice. Novichok/Lethal things does come to mind as a potential 'solution' for Prigozhin.

Edited by StringJunky

10 minutes ago, Alex_Krycek said:

I think it was real, not staged.  Prigozhin and Wagner were genuinely enraged at being treated so disrespectfully by the Russian Elites on the battlefield.

Logical explanation here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2hVaLhUtdM

You are probably right, but they could still try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear from this ex post facto.

This Intercept contributor thinks they both lost their nerve and will be killed in some creative ways. I wonder who is waiting in the wings?

PRIGOZHIN AND PUTIN: DEAD MEN WALKING
In the duel between the Wagner Group’s Yevgeny Prigozhin and Russian President Vladimir Putin, both men lost their nerve.

In an insane series of events over the weekend, Russian mercenary leader Prigozhin launched what appeared to be a coup against Putin’s regime, marching his Wagner Group mercenaries from their positions in Ukraine, where they had been fighting alongside the Russian military, into Russia. They seized control of Rostov-on-Don, a key military hub, before marching north to Moscow. Prigozhin and his troops met little resistance from the Russian military; he seemed poised to enter the capital and seize power. Nothing would stop him, he said, vowing that “we will go to the end.”

But his bravado didn’t last long. Just as Wagner forces were closing in on Moscow Saturday, Prigozhin suddenly reversed himself. He cut a deal with the Russian president, brokered by Alexander Lukashenko — Belarus’s autocratic leader and a close Putin ally — and announced that his troops would turn back. Prigozhin agreed to leave Russia and go into a sort of exile in Belarus, while Putin agreed to drop a charge of armed rebellion against Prigozhin and grant immunity to his men in connection with the rebellion. Some Wagner forces seem likely to be integrated into the Russian army.

It is still not certain what Saturday’s deal really means and whether it represents an end to the crisis or merely a short-term tactical shift in an ongoing duel between Prigozhin and Putin. But one thing is clear: Prigozhin lost his nerve on Saturday. He had a golden opportunity to seize power at a moment when Putin was surprised and vulnerable. The Russian military had many of its resources in Ukraine rather than Russia, and Wagner’s heavily armed forces had at least the potential to outgun the remaining Russian security services guarding Moscow.

But Prigozhin’s moment was fleeting. Now the odds are good that Putin will have his rival murdered.... https://theintercept.com/2023/06/25/prigozhin-putin-russia-coup/

22 hours ago, Alex_Krycek said:

Does anyone believe he has a choice?

If this was a chess match, why would Prigozhin give up check, with such a strong position?

Prigozhin doesn't give a shit about a traditional Russian purge....

8 hours ago, StringJunky said:

This Intercept contributor thinks they both lost their nerve and will be killed in some creative ways. I wonder who is waiting in the wings?

Apparently Wagner troops family's were threatened, unsurprisingly.

21 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Does anyone believe he has a choice?

If this was a chess match, why would Prigozhin give up check, with such a strong position?

Prigozhin doesn't give a shit about a traditional Russian purge....

Putin likely had the winning position but wasn't absolutely sure, so offered him a draw thinking that should be enough to win the tournament?

Of course...in chess you can generally trust your own pieces...

Edited by J.C.MacSwell