Eise

Climate science was wrong!

4 hours ago, LaurieAG said:

I have actually read a report that audits and compares the Australian ACORN 1 and 2 data sets and comes out with similar results to A. Parker above (not by a scientist). It stated that 12 data locations were removed from ACORN 2, due to them being 'heat islands', although the rising trend in ACORN 2 is severely reduced when the data from those 12 locations is included in the data set.

I think science has become too politicized to be able to provide the correct results without adequate quality assurance procedures or regular auditing by technical people who know what they are doing.

That's not an artifact of politicisation - that's just science.

I used to work in a medical research facility and auditors would come in and find discrepancies all the time. Most of the time they were small, but occasionally larger issues were found requiring data to be re-analysed and changes in practice implemented.

But strangely no one ever questions medical science to the extent they question climate science.

On 11/21/2019 at 9:06 AM, Eise said:

No, I am not very optimistic.

Have a look here https://www.gapminder.org/

Info about Gapminder at Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapminder_Foundation

It looks to me a reliable source of information. About a wide scope of interests influencing the global pessimistic/optimistic view of the world.

It is also a good self test  for the one who says that:

On 11/20/2019 at 5:39 AM, MigL said:

you win an argument ( or convince someone to your point-of-view ), by reason and evidence

Re-reading the NYT article in the OP reminds me that different folks mean different things when the talk of temperature degrees.

The NYT figures were in Farenheit.

In many other parts of the world they will be in Centigrade.

And of course, the non technical press may well not bother with the units depending upon their angle.

So full marks to the NYT for this at least.

Edited by studiot

3 hours ago, Prometheus said:

But strangely no one ever questions medical science to the extent they question climate science.

Oh, it is questioned for sure, though much of it is within the scientific communities. Many are aware that when it comes to medicine we are often using sledgehammers to address very delicate questions. Reasons range from knowledge gaps to technical challenges. However, what trickles out usually lacks nuance with sometimes fatal consequences. The thing is that if folks overestimate the things we understand it creates unfounded trust, but realistically there is often not a lot of alternatives. On the other hand skeptics may just abandon the little we actually know and go full crazy (such as anti-vaccination movements). 

5 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Oh, it is questioned for sure, though much of it is within the scientific communities...

That's as it should be. 

I was referring to they lay community - but now realise i forget about anti-vaxxers and isn't there some kind of HIV/AIDs conspiracy movement? I stand corrected.

As for the trust issue - there are not many alternatives are there? If i go to a doctor, i might read a little around an illness, maybe get a second opinion, but at some point i'm just going to have to trust someone. Same when i get a car fixed, i could tinker a little, but a mechanic knows far more than me. I guess it's comes down to public engagement and showing people why scientists can be trusted.

The community we choose have auditors - thats our political landscape - our hope is, they can be trusted.