alcubierre froning warp drive

Moontanman

Does anyone know anything about this version of warp drive? It has a very nice youtube video with great graphics and animation but little real information. This is about the only serious discussion of it but i can't really say I understand it. 

http://aip.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1063/1.2437558

Fluid Dynamic Simulations of Warp Drive Flight Through Negative Pressure Zero‐Point Vacuum

ABSTRACT
The paper explores the possibility of simulating some features of warp drive‐driven spaceship flight by computational fluid dynamic techniques. Here, using fluid dynamic analogues, solutions of Einstein’s Equations of General Relativity(GR) that describe spacetime distortions and stresses caused by an acceleratingvehicle are replaced by solutions of the Navier Stokes (NS) Equations of Fluid Dynamics that describe distortions and stresses within a fluid‐like zero‐point quantum vacuum. These NS solutions could not replicate all GR results, but they captured some important features of warp drive flight. In particular, they showed that ship‐generated repulsive warp fields which perturb the negative pressure zero‐point electromagnetic vacuum create zero‐point radiationpressure gradients that, swiftly “pull” and “push” field‐propelled ships, with relatively unlabored acceleration, from very low sublumiminal velocity to very high superluminal speed.

4 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Does anyone know anything about this version of warp drive? It has a very nice youtube video with great graphics and animation but little real information. This is about the only serious discussion of it but i can't really say I understand it. 

Hmmm, Interesting to say the least. Like any issue regarding warp drive possibilities, sadly its afair way off as yet before we can have the technological know how to achieve it. Not contravening SR and GR is certainly in its favour. I would hazard a guess and say that JPL would be giving it at least some consideration.

I also found a discussion on it here......

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-Alcubierre-Froning-Drive-a-legitimate-possibility-for-faster-than-light-travel

2 minutes ago, beecee said:

Hmmm, Interesting to say the least. Like any issue regarding warp drive possibilities, sadly its afair way off as yet before we can have the technological know how to achieve it. Not contravening SR and GR is certainly in its favour. I would hazard a guess and say that JPL would be giving it at least some consideration.

I also found a discussion on it here......

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-Alcubierre-Froning-Drive-a-legitimate-possibility-for-faster-than-light-travel

I've seen that link but it doesn't seem to directly apply to the albecurrie froning warp drive. 

This is the video I was talking about:

I seems quite a bit too good to be true but it does suggest a departure from the Albecurrie Warp Drive and the Albecurrie White Warp Drive in several respects. 

2 hours ago, swansont said:

If it depends on exotic matter as the "regular" Albecurrie drive does, then I think you are overselling things. 

They seem to insinuate they do not need exotic matter in this "Froning" version but I can't see how. They never really make it clear.. 

On 3/4/2018 at 7:19 PM, koti said:

I'd be skeptical, this might be helpful:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-point_energy

That link was very interesting I had heard of zero pint energy before but had assumed it was nonsense, or maybe science fiction.

If gravity is caused by the absorption of virtual particles/gravitons by mass giving the appearance of stretched space, is there away of generating virtual particles at one side of an object whilst allowing or increasing absorption on the other creating a gravitational gradient as in warp drive, or putting it another way rather than having a uniform stretching of space in all directions round an object due to gravity, create a distortion in the stretching of space. Would generating UHF waves also create virtual particles due to the disturbance in space as the UHF is radiated away, is there any way of absorbing virtual particles or stretching space in the direction you want to go. Would something like a linear drive using magnetic fields also influence virtual particles and possibly cause them to flow through a warp drive.

Beam me up Scottie :)

44 minutes ago, interested said:

That link was very interesting I had heard of zero pint energy before but had assumed it was nonsense, or maybe science fiction.

If gravity is caused by the absorption of virtual particles/gravitons by mass giving the appearance of stretched space, is there away of generating virtual particles at one side of an object whilst allowing or increasing absorption on the other creating a gravitational gradient as in warp drive, or putting it another way rather than having a uniform stretching of space in all directions round an object due to gravity, create a distortion in the stretching of space. Would generating UHF waves also create virtual particles due to the disturbance in space as the UHF is radiated away, is there any way of absorbing virtual particles or stretching space in the direction you want to go. Would something like a linear drive using magnetic fields also influence virtual particles and possibly cause them to flow through a warp drive.

Beam me up Scottie :)

This relates to the OP...how, exactly?

1 hour ago, interested said:

I had heard of zero pint energy before but had assumed it was nonsense, or maybe science fiction.

I’m sure there have been threads where you have been told that the energy of a vacuum is not zero (and hence the existence of virtual particles etc). 

11 hours ago, swansont said:

This relates to the OP...how, exactly

The link posted by koti on zero point energy and the Alburcorrie froning warp drive posted by Moontanman, both combine to produce my question and line of thought.

10 hours ago, Strange said:

I’m sure there have been threads where you have been told that the energy of a vacuum is not zero (and hence the existence of virtual particles etc). 

No I have not, but you may be correct that there are threads that state this, I have not read them but am aware virtual particles exist but not in relation to zero point energy which I had thought was nonsense and have never mentioned on this forum. I have looked into zero point energy a bit more and find there is a lot of nonsense on the subject but am intrigued by some other aspects. Koti's link was the first coherent version of zero point energy I have come across. In order to to start to investigate or think about a subject a nudge is sometimes required, kotis link combined with the OP and moontanmans video interested me, so I asked the speculative question above. When something interests me I ask questions, but being a grown up do not always believe the answers and cross check them to get a clearer understanding.

The question stands it is speculative and I think is related to the thread, but then it wont be the first time I have been wrong on this forum

12 hours ago, interested said:

47 minutes ago, interested said:

I have looked into zero point energy a bit more and find there is a lot of nonsense on the subject but am intrigued by some other aspects

It does seem to attract an inordinate amount of nonsense for some reason. Perhaps because the "free energy / over-unity" crowd seem to think it is a source of energy. They seem have missed the basics of thermodynamics and the fact it is the lowest energy state (and therefore you can't extract energy from it).

1 hour ago, interested said:
13 hours ago, interested said:

The above question still stands.

4 hours ago, interested said:

The link posted by koti on zero point energy and the Alburcorrie froning warp drive posted by Moontanman, both combine to produce my question and line of thought.

!

Moderator Note

IOW, it's not about the OP. It's your new line of thought. It's hijacking. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Can a mod insert the correct spelling.in the title.. I've got my spelling-nazi head on.  :) 

If it were to work, it is likely the name would be conveninenlty shortened to AF drive. Future generations of the general public might mistakenly believe this stood for Awfully Fast.

The video is complete click bait hokum.  It's so laced with jargon and pseudo-science words that it's virtually incomprehensible, and I suspect that is the intention.  From what I can decipher, the maker postulates some method of changing photons so that they interact with the strong and weak nuclear forces, and then using a "field" of these photons at extremely high frequencies to create a shield around a spacecraft that would isolate it from normal spacetime and, incidentally, protect the spacecraft from radiation and debris while it moves at extremely high velocities.  It's complete nonsense, and only tosses around Alcubierre's name as a way to attract attention.  It has nothing to do with Alcubierre's paper.

This type of thing just makes me angry.  The guy is nothing more than a troll.  New category - science troll.

54 minutes ago, Kurt said:

The video is complete click bait hokum.  It's so laced with jargon and pseudo-science words that it's virtually incomprehensible, and I suspect that is the intention.  From what I can decipher, the maker postulates some method of changing photons so that they interact with the strong and weak nuclear forces, and then using a "field" of these photons at extremely high frequencies to create a shield around a spacecraft that would isolate it from normal spacetime and, incidentally, protect the spacecraft from radiation and debris while it moves at extremely high velocities.  It's complete nonsense, and only tosses around Alcubierre's name as a way to attract attention.  It has nothing to do with Alcubierre's paper.

This type of thing just makes me angry.  The guy is nothing more than a troll.  New category - science troll.

This troll behavior is spreading to everything, much like politics and religion, it's just a means to wealth by bullshitting others... 

2 hours ago, Moontanman said:

This troll behavior is spreading to everything, much like politics and religion, it's just a means to wealth by bullshitting others... 

Isn't the ability to bullshit the means to nearly all wealth? :) 

• 2 weeks later...