You can't be Serious

You really can't be serious that this is an upgrade for a science site.

Where is the list of recent posts?

Where is my list of subscribed threads?

Why does the users online list umpteen 'guests'.

Where are the superscript and subscript?

Tex test

[math]\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = \int {\sqrt {{x^3} - 15{x^2} + 3x - 8} } dx[/math]

Why does a popup keep poping up to say 'Do you want to receive notifications from scienceforums ?' when I have already said no 15 times?

That is enough for now

Edit

Well edit works, that I suppose is good

Mathml seems also to work (quickly) unlike some forums which is good.

Everything appears double spaced, whether I want it that way or not

There seems to be no way to post the edit?????????????????

Re- Edit

You have to use the Edit Topic Button - quite illogical and confusing since I have already pressed edit to get there.

Re-Edit 2

Now, of course once I leave it, I have no way to find this thread again to see if there are any replies.

The text editor appears more friendly, however.

What about reputation points, have these been abandoned?

Edited by studiot

I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

As noted in the announcement, the search features, recent posts, and so on will be broken temporarily while IPB reindexes all old posts. (All 900,000 of them, apparently.) That's happening right now, and may take a little while.

Sorry about the notification popup -- that annoys me too. I'll see if I can do anything about that. Not sure about other issues, but hopefully we can figure out version 4's issues soon.

Just a quick note: if you want a single line break (instead of a paragraph) hit "shift+return" instead of just return. Additionally, for LaTeX, you can use the math BBCode as before, or you can use more standard notation to add display equations, e.g:

\[\mathcal{F}(k) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x)e^{ikx} dx \]

produces \[\mathcal{F}(k) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x)e^{ikx} dx \] I'll try to update the LaTeX guide as soon as I get a chance to reflect these updates.

I wonder how much better this new forum works for me posting from my Vita.

Will it save my line spaces without needing to reload the page with JavaScript switched on?

[edit] It does! Whoohoo, the upgrade was a complete success. :D

Edited by Daecon
New words.

3 hours ago, Lord Antares said:

Yeah, I liked the previous design better too. I found it more intuitive and it looked more ''sciencey''. But I guess it could largely be a matter of habit. I'm just a bit confused in my first visit.

When the previous iteration was brought in there was a fair bit of moaning. I can't see them atm but i'm sure there's a fair few holes that need filling and Dave and CR probably still have things to put up and refine. They need to get a handle on it too. The main thing is they needed to do it.

Edited by StringJunky

Thanks for the replies, from those who managed to find this post.

Something else I noticed is missing.

Post numbering.

In a long thread it is very useful for all concerned to refer back to the post number.

So I hope these will return when you have finished making changes

Glad to see super/sub script back.  :)

Good point on post numbering. It seems that Invision in their infinite wisdom thinks post numbers are confusing because us moderators see different posts -- we see deleted and unapproved posts, and they don't know how to make the post numbers come out consistent. That's never been a problem for me that I can remember, but post numbers were removed nonetheless.

However, if you click the little "Share this post" button at the top right of a post you can get a direct link to it. Less convenient, but it always works.

Tragedy.. Using this forum stopped making sense.. It works at least 10 times slower than previous version. Any thread link click, and I have to wait 10-20 seconds to open any page.. It used to be instant just a couple days ago on old version of software (on 120 Mbps, with reliable ~90 Mbps!)

OMG, there is no "preview message" prior sending.. ?

That's the most used feature, so we're sure latex tags are properly showing..

This button on the right of toolkit, is some joke from older preview feature.. 10 seconds waiting and it is showing completely white blank page, instead of my reply..

No real "full editor"?

Edit: when we attach archive to post, there is no download counter.

Go back to older version from backup, when you have chance..

Edited by Sensei

May get better as indexing gets completed. 

Anyone figure out a way to go to the end of a thread and not the OP each time you click? I've tried a few things, but no matter what I do I have to first open the thread THEN click to go to last page (at least from the search results) 

54 minutes ago, iNow said:

Anyone figure out a way to go to the end of a thread and not the OP each time you click? I've tried a few things, but no matter what I do I have to first open the thread THEN click to go to last page (at least from the search results) 

Look in Activity Stream on top bar. You can make your own as well in My Activity Streams

1 hour ago, iNow said:

A very good point and what's more I hope that pagination has been retained. +1

My experience with super efficient sites is that if there is no pagination as you scroll down a thread the pages gets 'heavier and heavier' (ie slower) the further you go.

So what about some of the SF threads that are 1000 posts long?

Finally that blasted notification box has struck again.

As soon as I logged on I got a notification that Ca'nRefsmmat has quoted me 1 hour ago.

Surely you are not going to waste all that computing power telling every member every time someone quotes them?

Think how many quotes are used here by members.

56 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Look in Activity Stream on top bar. You can make your own as well in My Activity Streams

Perahaps im missing something simple, but this doesn't seem to address my question. I can easily run the query of activity and arrive at the search results. However, upon drilling down into those search results, the link takes me to the OP, not to the last page or last post as I'd prefer. Instead, once the thread opens, I then have to click again to get to the end. 

My best guess is this is just user error on my part, hence the question. 

From the Unread Content stream, for example, clicking the topic titles does what you say. But if you click the little "56 minutes ago" text, it'll take you directly to that post.

Not super-obvious, but it works. Not sure why they felt the need to change it that way.

I see pagination and a sensible list of users online now showing.

Thanks

I have to observe that whoever wrote this version seems to have left CR and Dave to do all the real work and concentrated on unneccessary prettification.

I feel for you both.

Edited by studiot

44 minutes ago, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

From the Unread Content stream, for example, clicking the topic titles does what you say. But if you click the little "56 minutes ago" text, it'll take you directly to that post.

Not super-obvious, but it works. Not sure why they felt the need to change it that way.

Or click on the star/cirle (depending on whether you've posted in the thread) and it will take you to the first unread post. I've been doing that on the old forum since I joined. I wasn't even aware that clicking on the thread title took you to the new posts.

On 7/23/2017 at 0:18 PM, iNow said:

Perahaps im missing something simple, but this doesn't seem to address my question. I can easily run the query of activity and arrive at the search results. However, upon drilling down into those search results, the link takes me to the OP, not to the last page or last post as I'd prefer. Instead, once the thread opens, I then have to click again to get to the end. 

My best guess is this is just user error on my part, hence the question. 

If you make a custom activity stream, going to the first unread post is an option (in read status)