Today I Learned

DrmDoc

Today I learned that "Eulagisca gigantea" a nasty, giant polynoid worm living in water can grow up to a foot in lengh. Not much known about it besides that its big and probably predatory. This thing scares the crap out of me.

http://echinoblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/10-of-weirdest-antarctic-invertebrates.html?m=1

Thanks Koti, that thing will haunt my nightmares till I die... :P

What is that gold like thing ? its looks like plastic

Presumably these are its limbs which put in wave like motion propel the thing really quickly in the direction of your throat.

Thanks Koti, that thing will haunt my nightmares till I die... :P

At your service Sir :P

Yeah, I've seen some live in Africa so I'm an expert :P

Today I learned that "Eulagisca gigantea" a nasty, giant polynoid worm living in water can grow up to a foot in lengh. Not much known about it besides that its big and probably predatory. This thing scares the crap out of me.

http://echinoblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/10-of-weirdest-antarctic-invertebrates.html?m=1

In that case, let's talk about the bobbit worm (Eunice aphroditois).

01-bobbit-worm.jpg

03-jaws-1024x686.jpg

It grows up to 3m (I believe around 10 ft in silly units), It can get into aquariums by hiding in rocks. It also seems to produce a nice toxin, though I think it has not been properly characterized.

https://vimeo.com/28280553

In that case, let's talk about the bobbit worm (Eunice aphroditois).

01-bobbit-worm.jpg

03-jaws-1024x686.jpg

It grows up to 3m (I believe around 10 ft in silly units), It can get into aquariums by hiding in rocks. It also seems to produce a nice toxin, though I think it has not been properly characterized.

https://vimeo.com/28280553

Adorable. On top of the fact that both of these warms are scary af, they also both have cheesy, cheapo markings/coloring. Quintessence of nope.

This sounds like utter bollocks.

Let me guess, you're a male and didn't read the article right? I found the article illuminating and its sources credible though you, perhaps, did not.

I find it a bit heavy on inductive reasoning and a bit light on contextualization (it is just not a very scholarly article). I have read that some trends of women's clothing were essentially co-opting male trends as part of the feminist movement. But I am not sure what historians have to say on the conclusions by the author of the above article.

Here (still not a scholarly article but with more sources) it is implied that the loss of pockets was driven by a change in waistline.

Edited by CharonY

Let me guess, you're a male and didn't read the article right? I found the article illuminating and its sources credible though you, perhaps, did not.

You are half right. I skimmed through everything and this contains no evidence and no concrete case. Certainly not enough to make any conclusion. Sounds like a shitty political agenda. But as long as it serves to take down the evil male pig, right?

I find it a bit heavy on inductive reasoning and a bit light on contextualization (it is just not a very scholarly article). I have read that some trends of women's clothing were essentially co-opting male trends as part of the feminist movement. But I am not sure what historians have to say on the conclusions by the author of the above article.

Here (still not a scholarly article but with more sources) it is implied that the loss of pockets was driven by a change in waistline.

The linked article in my OP was based on this article by journalist Chelsea Summers. Her article explored and detailed the historical and political implications of pockets and its distinction among the sexes. Chelsea wrote:

It’s not to say that pocket sexism isn’t true. It is to say that pockets are more than sexist: they’re political. One way to look at the transfiguration of women’s tied-on, capacious pockets of the mid-eighteenth century into the early nineteenth century’s tiny, hand-held reticule is to consider that this transformation occurred as the French Revolution, a time that violently challenged established notions of property, privacy, and propriety. Women’s pockets were private spaces they carried into the public with increasing freedom, and during a revolutionary time, this freedom was very, very frightening. The less women could carry, the less freedom they had. Take away pockets happily hidden under garments, and you limit women’s ability to navigate public spaces, to carry seditious (or merely amorous) writing, or to travel unaccompanied.

Chelsea also cited this quote, among others, as a continuing example of the sexist attitude regarding pockets during an earlier era:

An 1899 New York Times piece makes the somewhat tongue-in-cheek claim that civilization itself is founded on pockets. "As we become more civilized, we need more pockets," the piece says, "No pocketless people has ever been great since pockets were invented, and the female sex cannot rival us while it is pocketless."

This article provides a more in-depth discussion of the political role of pockets in women's fashion.

You are half right. I skimmed through everything and this contains no evidence and no concrete case. Certainly not enough to make any conclusion. Sounds like a shitty political agenda. But as long as it serves to take down the evil male pig, right?

I'm male as well, but "evil male pig" are your words not mine.

Edited by DrmDoc

/her quote

All I see is a bunch of talk with no evidence. She is making stuff up as she goes along to fit her narrative. Of course, I could be wrong, but she would need to convince me.

It's like if I recognized that men's clothes have less colour and then I inferred that this must be because women want to limit men in their choice. They want men to have less freedom over their clothing. Exactly the same thing. I just make it fit my narrative.

I'm male as well, but "evil male pig" are your words not mine.

I know you are. Those words are implied.

All I see is a bunch of talk with no evidence. She is making stuff up as she goes along to fit her narrative. Of course, I could be wrong, but she would need to convince me.

It's like if I recognized that men's clothes have less colour and then I inferred that this must be because women want to limit men in their choice. They want men to have less freedom over their clothing. Exactly the same thing. I just make it fit my narrative.

I know you are. Those words are implied.

Chelsea's article regards attitudes of an earlier era, which is supported by the various quotes from the published articles and statements she researched. If you have not fully read the entire article, why should anyone here consider your opinion of Ms. Summers article valid? Given your apparent mindset and disinterest in the details on the subject, why would you even bother to comment?

Today I learned the insidious reason why, historically, women's clothing were without pockets. It seems having no pockets were another way men of an earlier era sought to control women. Later, the fashion industry saw pocketless women's clothing as way to increase sales of handbags and purses.

Very interesting!

You can better see a woman's body without (filled) pockets. In order to attract men, it might have been better for women not to have pockets.

On a ball, women wear a dress without pockets so you can see every inch of their body.

Men wear a costume with pockets...

Women put in their purse what men put in their pockets.