Meet my new the best friend

Sensei

7 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Release him/her close to hypermarket, where he/she has been found, near his/her home den.
    • Release him/her far away, in foreign terrain.
    • Keep him/her in safe house, at least to spring.

Hello.

Meet my new the best friend,
the most likely Eurasian pygmy shrew.

I caught him/her today in the hypermarket (surprisingly without any problem)..
Market bodyguards and employees wanted to kill him/her.

But I disallowed and took him/her with me.

post-100882-0-09209700-1450874350_thumb.png

post-100882-0-79475200-1450872805_thumb.png

post-100882-0-05405300-1450872815_thumb.png

According to wikipedia they eat as much as weight per day.

And one day starving in the winter is deadly.

Best Regards!

You might find it a struggle to find proper food for an insectivore in Winter.

Good point... Now I suggest you try the angling shop and/or the exotic pet shop. You should be able to get some tasty insects there.

Ethically, you saved he life of a wild creature, so you're responsible for it. At least until it's healthy enough to return the favor. ;)

You can't turn your best friend out in the cold when his safety is in question. You've done something many would consider unnatural, because they think humans are unnatural. I disagree, you've done a natural human thing by sharing your resources to keep a life going. One creature gets to live a bit longer, having won the shrew lottery, in a predation-free environment.

Thank you!

I have caught shrews when I was a kid, they a vicious killers and have to eat almost constantly to survive, they can starve in a few hours. Little bastards have a poisonous bite too!

it looks like a mouse. i will scream at the sight of it. :eek:

Shrews, are far from being mice, they can and often will kill and eat mice, even rabbits!

I have caught shrews when I was a kid, they a vicious killers and have to eat almost constantly to survive, they can starve in a few hours. Little bastards have a poisonous bite too!

Shrews, are far from being mice, they can and often will kill and eat mice, even rabbits!

It's sad to think the store's first reaction was to kill the one species that was possibly controlling their vermin in a pesticide free method.

Sensei, could you take a blood sample and test it for any of it's prey having had consumed or even possibly had become tolerant to chemical control methods, although how you would gage that I wouldn't know.

• 4 weeks later...