Movement of Ocean floor and Fingernail growth! Any connection?

Mike Smith Cosmos

According to this tectonic plates move at between 1-10cm/year.

According to this fingernails grow at around 3.6cm/year.

So a casual glance shows ocean floors 'grow' at around twice the speed of finger nails: i.e. not very similar.

However, given the amount of variation in these figures depending on numerous variables i'm sure you could cherrypick some subset of the populations' fingernail growth and some particular plate and find they have very similar growth rates. But why would you? You might as well start picking letters out a Harry Potter books to find messages from aliens. Or miracles in the Quran. Or the face of Jesus in toast...

Coincidences happen all the time.

They appear to have very similar movement ! Coincidence or anything else?

They are both "extruded" from an extended source. That's about it. One is molten rock, the other is a complex mix of proteins. Certain diseases can cause ripples in the nail which, I suppose, are a little bit like mid-ocean ridges. But that really is it.

The moon is moving away from the earth at a rate of 3.78 cm/year, surely that’s to close to be a coincidence. :huh:

Yea but when we cut out finger nails it restabilises the orbit surely? I think it has something to do with gravity and the extra weight the earth gains every time fingernails are cut. ;-)

Edited by DrP

Similar !

Same . Meaning , the same order of magnitude .

Namely , they are moving , enough to do some useful ' purpose ' , like providing a constant supply of ' finger end ' replacement . And some movement of continents, volcanos, etc

Yet at the same time , they ( neither ) are freaking humans out of their mind , by fingernails growing while you look at them . Or continents under our feet , moving so fast as to scare us whit less!

To me! That is interesting !

It smacks a little bit of " the goldilocks effect " . Not too fast , not too slow , just right ! What do you do, if you have all these coincidences appearing all over the place . What should we deduce from more and more ' goldilocks effects ' , making their presence felt ?

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

Try telling that to someone living in an Earthquake zone!

Well , that is my whole point. The world isn't , as a rule , jogging about all over the place , so we cannot stand upright.

In fact , if anything is at odds , it is buildings . Maybe we as civilisation took a wrong turn, somewhere, and should have concentrated on single story , Dome like structures .

post-33514-0-44765500-1440421403_thumb.jpg

One of my earlier 1970's attempts at dome construction, utilising Buckminster Fuller domes.

Mike

Even earlier ,

post-33514-0-45533400-1440421587_thumb.jpg

In between during computer boon .

post-33514-0-65959300-1440421668_thumb.jpg

What do you do, if you have all these coincidences appearing all over the place .

Try realizing that coincidences happen all the time, and that correlation is not the same as causation. You know, apply some science to the problem.

You have millions (or more) of independent periodic events happening. Statistics demands that many of them have similar periods. It's impossible not to.

The visible part of the nail root (that the nail grows from) is called the "lunula". So there is a connection there.

Interesting. My mother called that lighter area at the nail base the "half moon".

But the only plates she shifted were the eating kind. Although she did have some plates on the walls, which could fall off during an earthquake. She also used Tide laundry detergent, and the moon affects the tides, so I suppose my mom could have been responsible for at least some of the movement of the ocean floor.

Or she was a werewolf. The evidence is inconclusive.

Well , that is my whole point. The world isn't , as a rule , jogging about all over the place , so we cannot stand upright.

Try telling that to someone who lives in an area where tornadoes or typhoons are common.

The point is, some processes are imperceptibly slow (paint drying, grass growing) and harmless while others are rapid and destructive (meteorites, tsunami). And, of course, some processes are slow and destructive (tree roots growing through your foundations) while others are fast and nondestructive (sunsets).

I think the only possible reaction to this insight is: meh.

Edited by Strange

Interesting. My mother called that lighter area at the nail base the "half moon".

But the only plates she shifted were the eating kind. Although she did have some plates on the walls, which could fall off during an earthquake. She also used Tide laundry detergent, and the moon affects the tides, so I suppose my mom could have been responsible for at least some of the movement of the ocean floor.

Or she was a werewolf. The evidence is inconclusive.

Whatever , the source of the design for our human stock, our home , the earth, the universe . Whether that be from much higher life forms , evolution , the pressure of survival , a creator . The results seem to come out the same . We seem to live in a 'Goldilocks universe' , where many things seem to be ' not too big , not too small, not too slow , not too fast ' but just right !

We seem to live in a 'Goldilocks universe' , where many things seem to be ' not too big , not too small, not too slow , not too fast ' but just right !

You do know why that this, don't you?

This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'

The more I paint , the more things appear to focus on us . " me "

I have only just noticed , ripples in water , ' Appear ' to all be directed toward me as the Observer ' ? As with the clouds , they all 'seem ' be coming toward me , as the observer , ( only appear ) , in an ever expanded format , from the horizon , to above my head . ( fan shaped in configuration ' V ' )

Things are only significant to me , if they relate to me ?

In other words , the Universe only has significance ' as it relates too us ' .

Hence my fingernail growth , and movement of oceanic plates both impact on me ( the observer ) ,

Oceanic plates impact indirectly on me ( the observer ).

There are probably a host upon host upon host , of things that are doing all sorts of amazing things , very fast , very small, very peculiar, very far away , that will never impact on me as ' this observer, Me '

Mike