Catastrophic economic loss with AIDS and Cancer cure?

Elite Engineer

...No serious company can make a profit on selling it (and that's whole problem to discourage people from using it).

This is the main mantra of the "natural is better" quack medicine industry. There's a, supposedly, massive Big Pharma conspiracy to stop people from accessing cheap, natural, medicine.But if one gets off ones backside and does an elementary check on a few supplements of the available research about them, they are, invariably, found wanting. Natural supplement shops are like betting shops... they just want your money. They exploit the fact that fools/ignorants and their money are easily parted.

Edited by StringJunky

This is the main mantra of the "natural is better" quack medicine industry. There's a, supposedly, massive Big Pharma conspiracy to stop people from accessing cheap, natural, medicine.But if one gets off ones backside and does an elementary check on a few supplements of the available research about them, they are, invariably, found wanting. Natural supplement shops are like betting shops... they just want your money. They exploit the fact that fools/ignorants and their money are easily parted.

I don't promote "natural supplements shops". Actually I have never been in such store. I promote greengrocer's shop rather. Or self made vegetables instead.

Surprisingly Sirona, and you mentioned them, and tried to derail the main thread in such weird track at all...

I was talking about pure raw Garlic. Not some preprocessed crap.

We have medicament of two types:

- not existing in nature compound, artificially created.

- existing in nature compound.

Second one can be extracted from natural source, or created artificially.

"Big Pharma" pills have well know content and amount of compound we want to provide to organism,

while it's hard to estimate how much natural source, such as f.e. Lemon, Orange, Banana, Garlic, etc. will have it.

Personally I prefer drink a single Lemon in the tea, than taking pills with Vitamin C.

ps. Natural means to me vegetable, plant, fruit, literally in their natural form. Not preprocessed, and in a box, foil, dehydrated etc. etc. or so.

ps2. Nobody is taking pills for "common cold" in advance prior they are ill. While eating garlic is quite normal.

Example of "natural supplements shop" product...

My product looks like this:

post-100882-0-08009600-1459732549_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sensei

I don't promote "natural supplements shops". Actually I have never been in such store. I promote greengrocer's shop rather. Or self made vegetables instead.

Surprisingly Sirona, and you mentioned them, and tried to derail the main thread in such weird track at all...

I was talking about pure raw Garlic. Not some preprocessed crap.

We have medicament of two types:

- not existing in nature compound, artificially created.

- existing in nature compound.

Second one can be extracted from natural source, or created artificially.

"Big Pharma" pills have well know content and amount of compound we want to provide to organism,

while it's hard to estimate how much natural source, such as f.e. Lemon, Orange, Banana, Garlic, etc. will have it.

Personally I prefer drink a single Lemon in the tea, than taking pills with Vitamin C.

ps. Natural means to me vegetable, plant, fruit, literally in their natural form. Not preprocessed, and in a box, foil, dehydrated etc. etc. or so.

ps2. Nobody is taking pills for "common cold" in advance prior they are ill. While eating garlic is quite normal.

My apologies, Sensei. I take it back.

!

Moderator Note

Stop the bickering. John, there's no need for such hostile remarks, and Sensei, bringing up arguments from old threads does nothing to help your case. If you are unhappy with a remark from another member, report it. You've been here long enough to know how that works, so you have no excuse for exacerbating the issue with your own suite of belligerent comments.

Let's stick to the science and leave the personal issues out of it, please.

The link is not the original trial but rather a review of evidence (and the link also only shows the abstract, the study being discussed is Josling 2001).

The authors found only one study that provided evidence. The author affiliation is a bit suspect as it seems to belong to consulting company which may take the validity of the results in question. The study is based on supplements (i.e. not natural consumption of garlic in the diet) and has only a very low number of participants. This is especially problematic as the outcome is relatively unspecific and hence, difficult to control.

As a comparison, actual medications require specific monitoring of benchmarks. Whereas in this case it is based on self-reporting (days the participants felt challenged, for example). As it is supposed to be randomized individual bias should be minimized, yet it is is difficult to properly assess efficacy as in clinical studies. In addition the scoring of symptoms appears to be slanted which may or may not be an attempt to increase significance after data collection. In either case, it is possible that garlic supplements help with cold one way or another (as may e.g. a balanced diet). For example, it is not reported whether the participant's regular diet contains garlic or whether the groups were balanced for risk factors. Note that the study does actually not indicate whether regular of doses of garlic that may be found in some diets actually have an effect.

The capsules in question contains allicin, which is formed in garlic by an enzyme from alliin. Unfortunately allicin is rather unstable in garlic so that the actual content per weight garlic is relatively low. One whole garlic contains ~ 10 mg of alliin.

A capule can be anywere between 90-360 mg. Thus even if we assume no loss due to conversion to allicin to have the same effect you would need to consume 9-36 garlic bulbs a day.

Other than that, ascribing one's health status to a singular component is never going to be correct and it should be note that there is no pharmaceutical treatment of the common cold. Only means to alleviate symptoms.

Edited by CharonY

I take my garlic with boiled or sautéed rapini and ev olive oil, as a side to chicken, or pork sausage.

Not for medicinal purposes.

I like the taste.

P.S. lighten up people !

Edited by MigL

Now you must be kidding making such statement.......

Sounded perfectly reasonable to me.

Experimental personal experience is not anecdote...

Sounds like the definition of "anecdotal evidence" to me.

Explain then difference in the amount of people in prison is USA, versus European countries...

How would I know, why would I care, and how is it relevant? What are you talking about?

The most "common ill", with average 14-28 billions occurrences per year in total population (2-4 average per adult, child more) is "common cold".

Instead of downvoting my post, you should spend time searching for objective experiments proving that garlic did not heal/prevent people from getting "common cold",

instead it increased symptoms.

You claimed that garlic would mean no one ever got the common cold.

Then you referenced a paper which did NOT support that claim (it showed that some people might get some benefit).

Now you seem to be saying that garlic makes things worse.

Oh, I see. It is a straw man argument. No one said garlic makes things worse. But there is no evidence that it will provide 100% protection for 100% of people as you claimed.

[p.s. just saw the mod note. Hope the above doesn't count as bickering. :)]

Edited by Strange