Does being an Atheist make you closed minded? [Answered: NO]

sunshaker

The names are of secondary importance to the functions. Not much is really being taught or tested when a few percentage points of an exam is simply a diagram with pictures and labels.

If a student described a ribosome and it's function but named every part a b c d etc the more important knowledge is still there. In some ways the appearance of knowledge can be faked by remembering names and the order they fit in a scheme but lacking the knowledge of their functions.

Trust me I've bullshit my way through many exams in my life. If I had to define all the jargon I used, I would've been screwed.

Anyway we're well off topic here.

Edited by Sorcerer

• 3 weeks later...

Do you lose some of that spark of "human imagination/freedom of thought" once you state yourself an Atheist, only believing in what you can prove?

I think it depends on the reasoning behind their personal choice. In my experience, I find that most of the people who identify as atheists do so because they seem to think that science disproves God. But science has done no such thing.

It seems that the average atheist doesn't do much thinking of his own, but rather waits to hear the popular "scientific" answer propagated in the mainstream.

And history shows us that all those who have introduced paradigm shifts have gone against the mainstream understandings of their respective time period. These were dreamers. They expressed independent, original thought, which required them to use their imagination. Though, many seem to have been ridiculed throughout their lifetime and their contributions were only properly credited by the generations to follow.

In fact, the whole discipline of science came about because of peoples belief in God or in an entity that is beyond our understanding of the material world.

Edited by evobulgarevo

I find that most of the people who identify as atheists do so because they seem to think that science disproves God. But science has done no such thing.

It seems that the average atheist doesn't do much thinking of his own, but rather waits to hear the popular "scientific" answer propagated in the mainstream.

Your position on this is incredibly...uhm....hmm....how do I say this nicely?...strange. From what I can tell, you must not know many atheists. I suspect this since your "findings" seem based on a caricature, to the point of being almost an outright strawman.

Let me ask: Do you also think most people don't believe in Santa Claus because they think science has disproven his existence? Do you think most people don't believe in the tooth fairy because they haven't done much thinking on their own and simply feel this way because it's what popular mainstream science propagates?

Asked another way, are those the reasons you don't believe in Zeus and Odin?

I think it depends on the reasoning behind their personal choice. In my experience, I find that most of the people who identify as atheists do so because they seem to think that science disproves God. But science has done no such thing.

I have never met an atheist (or scientist) who thinks that.

And history shows us that all those who have introduced paradigm shifts have gone against the mainstream understandings of their respective time period.

Atheists, for example?

Though, many seem to have been ridiculed throughout their lifetime and their contributions were only properly credited by the generations to follow.

This seems to be a popular idea, but it has no basis in reality.

how do I say this nicely?

True words rarely come across "nicely".

Do you also think most people don't believe in Santa Claus because they think science has disproven his existence?

Do you think most people don't believe in the tooth fairy because they haven't done much thinking on their own and simply feel this way because it's what popular mainstream science propagates?

Ahh it would appear I've touched a nerve. Sorry. Don't mean to hurt your feelings or anything like that. But I should say that another observation I've made about your average atheist is that he's quite sensitive.

Asked another way, are those the reasons you don't believe in Zeus and Odin?

Another finding is that your average atheist is very presumptuous. Notice that here I'm not talking about you, for how could I? I don't know you. Just sharing what I've observed.

And the next step in how this type of discussion usually unfolds is your average atheist becomes blatantly arrogant, normally because of the frustration caused by his own ego, which tells him that his own self worth supersedes the worth of those who have a different opinion.

This seems to be a popular idea, but it has no basis in reality.

What has basis in reality?

Edited by evobulgarevo

Ahh it would appear I've touched a nerve. Sorry. Don't mean to hurt your feelings or anything like that. But I should say that another observation I've made about your average atheist is that he's quite sensitive.

Sensitive to the fact that you dodged the question completely, choosing instead to belittle. Did iNow touch a nerve?

Sorry. Don't mean to hurt your feelings or anything like that. But I should say that another observation I've made about your average atheist is that he's quite sensitive.

While I do find myself often disappointed and exasperated by the consistent lack of logic and evidence-based thinking in many theists, I can promise that you have had no affect on my feelings, nor am I being "sensitive" by trying to help you correct your misconceptions and trivially false descriptions of the group about whom you're commenting.

Now, do you want to answer the question I actually put to you, or are you content to continue evading my central point?

Notice that here I'm not talking about you, for how could I? I don't know you. Just sharing what I've observed.

And I've highlighted in response that your observations do not seem to align with reality.

EDIT: Cross-posted with Phi and Strange who seem have beaten me to the exact same point.

Edited by iNow

I have just edited this a bit. hope you don't mind.

I think it depends on the reasoning behind their personal choice. In my experience, I find that most of the people who identify as atheists theists do so because they seem to think that science God disproves God Science. But science God has done no such thing.

It seems that the average atheist theist doesn't do much thinking of his own, but rather waits to hear the popular "scientific" religious answer propagated in the mainstream.

And history shows us that all those who have introduced paradigm shifts have gone against the mainstream understandings of their respective time period. These were dreamers. They expressed independent, original thought, which required them to use their imagination. Though, many seem to have been ridiculed throughout their lifetime and their contributions were only properly credited by the generations to follow.

In fact, the whole discipline of science came about because of peoples belief in God innate curiosity or the understanding that perhaps nothing is in an entity that is beyond our understanding of the material world.

That seems better

by trying to help you correct your misconceptions and trivially false descriptions of the group about whom you're commenting.

What are you on about fella!? I'm sharing observations based on discussions I've had with people who identify as atheists.

That seems better

So you prefer a doctored, made up, completely fake "opinion" rather than a truthful expression of findings based on a multitude of discussions on this topic. Case in point.

Edited by evobulgarevo

Why does modern society have to label everyone ?

Atheists, theists, etc. I don't consider myself either.

I was born in a country steeped in the Roman Catholic religion, and so had all the required sacraments, but I soon fell in love with science, and took Occam' razor to my beliefs. I really don't care ( but respect ) what other people believe; Myself, I have no need for a God. I try to be what I consider a good person, but like many sometimes fail. But the failures are on me; They are my doing and I take responsibility for them. They are not the will of some omnipotent, supernatural being.

That doesn't mean I don't have other untestable beliefs that I still consider useful.

So I don't care what iNow says, there's just gotta be a Santa Claus.

Ok dear sir, ask it again. In simpler words this time and I promise there shan't be any dodging.

This a new Apple product or what?

Your eagerness to make a flat joke has led you to mis-attribute the question. It was iNow's question, not mine, which you could have looked up, making this another attempt to dodge. You're quite the dancer.

I believe he was asking if you think most people don't believe in Santa Claus because science can prove he doesn't exist. That's as simple as I can make it.

They are not the will of some omnipotent, supernatural being.

From what I understand, the will of God, is for man to do as he pleases. Hence why we have free will.

So I don't care what iNow says, there's just gotta be a Santa Claus.

There is a Santa Claus. In fact, there's more than one. I've seen 'em at the mall.

Edited by evobulgarevo

The most non-allegiant among us may fail to mention their theistic orientation.

Your eagerness to make a flat joke has led you to mis-attribute the question. It was iNow's question, not mine, which you could have looked up, making this another attempt to dodge. You're quite the dancer.

My bad. I mis-attributed the question. My fault entirely. No dodging though. That was not what I set out to do. Just another human with your everyday standard humanoid flaws. Sorry.

I believe he was asking if you think most people don't believe in Santa Claus because science can prove he doesn't exist. That's as simple as I can make it.

What science can probably prove is that Santa Clause doesn't go out delivering presents 'round Christmas time while flying on a sled pulled by flying reindeer. Though the character Santa Clause is quite real. And as I already mentioned in my earlier reply, I've seen him at the mall.

Let me start again. Why don't you believe in Vishnu? Does it have anything whatsoever to do with what science can demonstrate or with what the mainstream suggests you should do?

I believe in God, the God from the Bible. Science is what got me interested in God, and it is only after I got into science that I ever read the Bible. Before I knew science, I could not say or write 'I believe in God' as firmly as I have done here.

I find that most of the people who identify as atheists do so because they seem to think that science disproves God. <snip> It seems that the average atheist doesn't do much thinking of his own, but rather waits to hear the popular "scientific" answer propagated in the mainstream.

And does this also apply to Buddhists? They're atheists, too, after all.

What is it with you and censorship? I guess if you were a moderator, you'd be doing that to the text in the posts. If I didn't know better, I'd say you work for CNN.

And does this also apply to Buddhists? They're atheists, too, after all.

Buddhism is about overcoming ones ego. In my observations atheists derive conclusions primarily based on ego.

Buddhism is about overcoming ones ego. In my observations atheists derive conclusions primarily based on ego.

You said much more than "atheists derive conclusions based on ego," so now you're trying to move the goal posts.

Let me use the handy dandy quote function to remind you what was being addresed:

I find that most of the people who identify as atheists do so because they seem to think that science disproves God. <snip> It seems that the average atheist doesn't do much thinking of his own, but rather waits to hear the popular "scientific" answer propagated in the mainstream.

Edited by iNow

You said much more than "atheists derive conclusions based on ego, so now you're trying to move the goal posts. Do you even realize how many logical fallacies you've introduced despite only having submitted ten posts to this site?

Hey man, listen.. I didn't mean to offend you or anything like that.

I believe in God, the God from the Bible. Science is what got me interested in God, and it is only after I got into science that I ever read the Bible. Before I knew science, I could not say or write 'I believe in God' as firmly as I have done here.

You dodged the question again. Impressive.

Hey man, listen.. I didn't mean to offend you or anything like that.

Why on Earth do you think you have offended anyone?