Quick Forum Questions

Guest Ritchy

6 minutes ago, KJW said:

How do I create multiple quotes from the same post? And how do I quote within a quote?

You can break up a quote by putting the cursor where you want the break and hitting return to create a blank line, and putting the cursor on the blank line and hitting return. Usually (not always) it breaks the quote box into two. If it doesn’t, try putting cursor on the first blank line and hit return again.

(I have done that here)

6 minutes ago, KJW said:

More generally, how do I view the codes within a post (rather than a WYSIWYG view of a post)?

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TheVat said:

I accidentally clicked on the oldest page of the quantum theory subforum, p. 85.  

https://www.scienceforums.net/forum/9-quantum-theory/page/85/

Why are there all these threads, with zero posts, and the threads are dated Dec. 31, 1969??  Fascinating.  Seems "Guest" was quite prolific 54 years ago.  

Date data that’s blank or otherwise corrupted defaults to 12/31/69 in UNIX-based systems, so that’s probably what’s going on there.

I think in early versions of the board software you could post without registering (and the post was attributed to “guest”), but since that can lead to problems, it was changed.

That was before my time, so I never took a stab at answering ones I might have a clue about.

• 5 months later...

What BBCode do I use to set the size of the font? Also, what BBCode do I use to set the colour of the font?

3 hours ago, KJW said:

What BBCode do I use to set the size of the font? Also, what BBCode do I use to set the colour of the font?

These are set in the editor; I think we lost the BBCode editing capability at least one update ago.

12 hours ago, swansont said:

These are set in the editor; I think we lost the BBCode editing capability at least one update ago.

I would like to create the text of posts using a simple external text editor, with all the desired markup in the text file, without needing to edit the text within the forum editor.

I can use standard BBCode in the text file to create bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, subscript, and superscript, but I've not been able to find the correct BBCode for font size (I did not attempt to find the correct BBCode for font colour even though I asked about that).

3 hours ago, KJW said:

I would like to create the text of posts using a simple external text editor, with all the desired markup in the text file, without needing to edit the text within the forum editor.

I can use standard BBCode in the text file to create bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, subscript, and superscript, but I've not been able to find the correct BBCode for font size (I did not attempt to find the correct BBCode for font colour even though I asked about that).

And AFAIK that information is no longer available in the forum editor, so it’s not a forum question. It’s a BBcode question, suitable for a search engine.

16 hours ago, swansont said:

And AFAIK that information is no longer available in the forum editor, so it’s not a forum question. It’s a BBcode question, suitable for a search engine.

I have done a Google search. It would seem that BBCode standards are not set in stone and that this is an implementation issue, making it a forum issue. Anyway, by testing BBCodes in The Sandbox, I have succeeded in finding a number of functioning BBCodes, including color, and even font (which does not appear to be in the forum editor), but not size, even though the "size" tag is recognised by the forum software (tags which are recognised, even if they don't function, are removed from display in the post).

3 hours ago, KJW said:

I have done a Google search. It would seem that BBCode standards are not set in stone and that this is an implementation issue, making it a forum issue. Anyway, by testing BBCodes in The Sandbox, I have succeeded in finding a number of functioning BBCodes, including color, and even font (which does not appear to be in the forum editor), but not size, even though the "size" tag is recognised by the forum software (tags which are recognised, even if they don't function, are removed from display in the post).

So you found your answer. It’s the size tag. size=number

This text is very small

This text is big

6 minutes ago, swansont said:

So you found your answer. It’s the size tag. size=number

This text is very small

This text is big

No, the size tag didn't work when I tested it in The Sandbox. But I'll test it here:

This is hopefully big

This is hopefully small

Ok, now we are getting somewhere:

This is 1

This is 2

This is 3

This is 4

This is 5

This is 6

This is 7

This is 8

My mistake was evidently my choice of number, assuming it to follow the numbering in this forum's editor, rather than the numbering I've seen in another forum.

Thank you for your assistance.