The southern US accent people talk about

nec209

I hear people say some times he or she has a southern US accent ..So I'm trying to understand what makes the southern US accent stand out.People say in southern US accent they talk slow and have deeper voice .

Also anyone know any movies with female or male with southern US accent that may help me understand what the southern US accent sounds like?

The deeper voice part is untrue.

There are many movies with examples of southern US accents, but I think you're better off googling "southern US accent" and then filtering for videos. And the accent is discernibly different by southern state. North Carolinians sound different than Texans.

Well... I never did hear tell of such a thing... bless his little heart....

A lot of it is colloquial sayings but speaking like fog horn leg horn helps some as well...

I say I say boy you don't listen well do ya boy, not the sharpest knife int the drawer is he? now look heah boy i'm not a chicken, chickens have long floppy ears and big noses just like that critter over there, yeah that that one... now go get your self a chicken... the boy just don't listen not raised right i say, dropped on his head as a baby, made 'im lazy i think, laziest chicken hawk i ever seen....

Edited by Moontanman

Also anyone know any movies with female or male with southern US accent that may help me understand what the southern US accent sounds like?

Not a movie, but governor Haley Barbour of Mississippi speaks like he has marbles in his mouth. That may be a good example.

Not a movie, but governor Haley Barbour of Mississippi speaks like he has marbles in his mouth. That may be a good example.

Even within Mississippi there are different accents. Barbour sounds like he is from north Mississippi or the delta (the real good ole boy, black folks hatin part of MS). I'm in south MS (still bass ackwards but at least we to keep it to a dull roar) and though I don't have a heavy accent myself, people here sound somewhat similat with a decent amount of New Orleansy twist.

I'm about an hour and a half from New Orleans though so we are well within the cajun sphere of influence.

I have a deep voice but probably only by coincidence.

Although perhaps given in under more formal circumstances, you'll find examples among our better-known southern politicians such as: Pres. Lyndon Johnson (Texas), Pres. Jimmy Carter (Georgia), Gov. George Wallace (Alabama), Sen. Huey Long (Louisiana), etc.

One of the better defining characteristics for me is the drawl (ie, relaxed speech). For example, Jimmy Carter would pronounce "oil" as "awh", which misses the tightness of the lips for the "o", the tightness of the tongue (toward the roof of the mouth) for the "i", and the touching of the tip of the tongue to the roof of the mouth for the "l". Another characteristic is the slurring of words, such as "y'all" (for "you all"), "sumbitch" for "son of a bitch", etc. I had also thought that flowery speech was an exaggeration shown in

, etc until I met a southern guy who could speak that way, although not all the time.

Being from the south I'm going to help you.

A southern accent has a longer draw on vowels, and generally sounds slower. here are some video's.

I used to live here, a documentary was made on the small town of vernon -

I hated vernon lol.

Although the south has many different accents for instance Alabama sounds different than Georgian accents.

Check out the video I posted earlier, I used to go to school in an inbred hick town known as vernon. While I lived in a town called Caryville with a population under 200. Just listen to how they sound.

hey here is another one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZtK3ahEqe0

You will get a kick out of these videos, you need to watch them.

I hear people say some times he or she has a southern US accent ..So I'm trying to understand what makes the southern US accent stand out.People say in southern US accent they talk slow and have deeper voice .

The midwest accent is fairly crisp and clear which is why it's what most television and movies use. I am from Indiana, so I have a midwestern accent. I have also lived in a the south for a while. By contrast, southern accents are often less clear. In certain parts, it's not even just mumbling; their words (while being drawn out) often also run together. Notice that I have been qualifying these descriptions. Speaking of the southern accent is like talking about the British accent; there's simply no such thing.

• 4 weeks later...

"Hay mayn, lemme tell yew shum'n"

Hey man, let me tell you something.

"I heard that"

"You got that right"

"damn straight"

In the south you can carry on an extended conversation with someone using not much more than those phrases...

http://www.raesmith.com/southern_talk_dictionary.htm

http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/slang/redneck-slang-words.html