When The Moon turned Red

Lala

The Question

(Submitted November 05, 1997)

I would like to know why the moon turned red during a recent lunar eclipse?

The Answer:

When you saw the moon turn red, it was because the light that was hitting the moon, from the Sun, had to go

through the Earth'satmosphere. The atmosphere scatters blue light more than red light (why the sky is blue)

and so what comes out the other side

is red (why sunsets are red).This reddish light bounces off the moon,

comes back to Earth and goes into youreyes.

By: Jonathan Keohane for Ask an Astrophysicist

My Thoughts On This:

if that were true then the northern lights that night

or anyother time

the moon turned red

would of been "Going Crazy" in the night sky

and if u go to nasa web link and look at the northern lights from space,

u can see that red light is over the blu/green light

and if the red light goes up and "back down"

then what u would see is

blu/green with a hint of red mixed in the color

and we all know that green/blu & red does not make blood red.

take green/blu and mix a drop of red, the drop being the red paint because

the red light is said

to come back down to earth

leaving the blu/green paint as your main paint base

if they were right then what u should get is a blood red color

but u wont so they must be wrong

""Going Crazy"" as in the northern lights would be hit by this red light

that they say comes back down from space after hitting the moon

given us a big light show

like the end of a fireworks show on the 4th

but this does not happen...

one way to tell if the red light is coming back to earth after it hit something in space

is to look at the Space Station

and if it does not light up red like the moon

then they are wrong on why the moon is red right?

By OLala ^.^)/

Here Is The Pic From Nasa Web Link

628243main_aurora-space-466.jpg

Northern lights : (aurora borealis) and southern lights(aurora australis)

Are caused by ions carried on the solar wind from the Sunbeing drawn in

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~AKA~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sun produces heat and light due to fusionreactions. As a result, charged particles like protons, electrons etc.constantly flow out of the sun. The flow of these charged particles is called solar wind. As they enter the earth's atmosphere, they are attracted by the earth's magnetic field. The magnetic north and south poles of the earth change the direction and speed of these particles. These particles then collide with the air molecules in the cold, thin upper atmosphere . This causes ionization resulting in the production of colored lights, known as the auroras.The auroras occurring near the north pole are known as the northern lights or aurora borealis where as the auroras occuring near the south pole are known as the southern lights or aurora australis.

Edited by Lala

The northern/southern lights do not cause any noticeable coloration of the moon. Also, light does not mix the same way paint does.

BTW: it's spelled y-o-u

(0.o)? i didnt ask how do u spell you ?(O.0)

and you said lights don't act like paint

you are wrong sorry

have u seen a TV?

do u know how they work?

By Olala ^.^)/

(0.o)? i didnt ask how do u spell you ?(O.0)

and you said lights don't act like paint

you are wrong sorry

have u seen a TV?

do u know how they work?

By Olala ^.^)/

You might like to check out thes pages on additive colour (ie when you combine lights) and subtractive colour (ie when you combine paints) - in one instance red, green, and blue make white perceived light, and in the other red, green, and blue make black paint.

you can take spot lights and face them into the night sky

black is a lack of color, so this is why it works at night and not in the day time

at night time because your paper/sky is black

mixing lights does act like paint

in the night time sky.

now in the day time white has all the colors in it.

this is why light does not act the same as paint

then (Reflection Variable Is added)

plz see rainbows for more info ty

and by the way

the reason i said do u know how TV's work

is because when u turn them off

what u see is black

they use that to place color on. because it is a lack of a color

then they use reflection variables to make only 6 colors

become all colors

By Olala ^.^)/

BTW: it's spelled y-o-u

Olala Reply to Swansont:{Bitch Slap Warning label}

Intelligence does not come from what u can remember in books

it comes from what u yourself can add to them

hope that didnt leave a mark ^.~)?

Edited by Lala

The northern lights generate their own light, they are just as active in the daytime as they are at night, we just can't see them during the day because sunlight washes them out and the northern lights have nothing to do with the moon, light on the moon, lunar eclipses, or anything else to do with the moon...

When you see the moon turn red during a lunar eclipse you are indeed seeing the light of all the sunsets on the planet reflecting off the moon...

!

Moderator Note

Lala,

A reminder that you are to continue this conversation in keeping with the forum rules. Keep it civil, on topic or you will find your time here will be short.

On a related note, the English language kindly requests that you stop butchering it.

Consider yourself modslapped.

How is that on topic? or is that rule just for us so called butchers of the English language?

if so where is Swansont "You have been a bad boy post"? he butchered the English language with "BTW"

BTW:you do know he was rude to me and off topic 1st right?

By Olala ^.^)/

Edited by Lala

If you really think that the northern lights cause the moon to turn red, why is it only during an eclipse? Why don't we see this during just any time, especially near a new moon? Is there a record of northern lights sightings to see that they were active during every eclipse when a red moon was observed?

(As far as spelling goes, I was merely relaying a sentiment from the etiquette guide: Please try to use proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation when you post. Text-speak is annoying. A few common abbreviations are excepted and accepted. But by all means, shoot the messenger and ignore the message.)

If you really think that the northern lights cause the moon to turn red, why is it only during an eclipse? Why don't we see this during just any time, especially near a new moon? Is there a record of northern lights sightings to see that they were active during every eclipse when a red moon was observed?

(As far as spelling goes, I was merely relaying a sentiment from the etiquette guide: Please try to use proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation when you post. Text-speak is annoying. A few common abbreviations are excepted and accepted. But by all means, shoot the messenger and ignore the message.)

I didn't say the northern lights make the moon turn red,

what i said was this:

the light that they say that comes back down to earth

should mix with the light u see from the northern lights

and if what they say is true about why the moon is red

it would give us something like a firework's show

but it does not

so their reason for why the moon turns red

must be wrong

By Olala ^.^)/

Edited by Lala

what i said was this:

but it does not

must be wrong

By Olala ^.^)/

Umm, why would that light mix with the northern lights? Sunset is before dark, the aurora is after dark....

what i said was this:

but it does not

must be wrong

By Olala ^.^)/

Why would the light "mix" and give a fireworks show?

Moontanman, on 15 March2012 - 11:11 PM, said:

Umm, why would that light mix with the northern lights? Sun set is before dark, the aurora is after dark....

They say :"The reason is because the sun set on the other side of the world hits the moon and turns it red."

Let say this is the Earth ( Earth)

and lets say this is the moon (Moon)

and lets say this is the sun ( Sun )

and this will be the red sun set light . . . . . . . .

and lets say this is the northern & southern lights ----->.^.~.^.

where u see the ----->would be the side of the N & S

that should be lite up with red lights.

Now here is the pic

{Night}........&.......{Day}

--------> ..........

-------->.^.~.^.

( Moon ).( Earth ).....( Sun )

------->.^.~.^.

-------->..........

"Lights are attracted by the earth's magnetic filed"

now if the sun set light did come back down to earth after going all the way around the earth from the other side of the world it would have to hit the northern & southern lights as well lighting them up like fireworks

but this does not happen

so their reason again must be wrong

By Olala ^.^)/

Edited by Lala

I think you have the context of the moon, the northern lights, the sunsets, the thickness of the atmosphere, the intensity of the northern lights, and the distance to the moon completely out of scale. Or I have no idea what you are talking about, quite possibly the latter...

Why would the light "mix" and give a fireworks show?

"A Text Book Note"

On The Northern & Southern Lights

This is why:

The sun produces heat and light due to fusionreactions. As a result, charged particles like protons, electrons etc.constantly flow out of the sun. The flow of these charged particles is called solar wind. As they enter the earth's atmosphere, they are attracted by the earth's magnetic field. The magnetic north and south poles of the earth change the direction and speed of these particles. These particles then collide with the air molecules in the cold, thin upper atmosphere . This causes ionization resulting in the production of colored lights, known as the auroras.The auroras occurring near the north pole are known as the northern lights or aurora borealis where as the auroras occuring near the south pole are known as the southern lights or aurora australis.

By Olala ^.^)/

Edited by Lala

The is why:

The sun produces heat and light due to fusionreactions. As a result, charged particles like protons, electrons etc.constantly flow out of the sun. The flow of these charged particles is called solar wind. As they enter the earth's atmosphere, they are attracted by the earth's magnetic field. The magnetic north and south poles of the earth change the direction and speed of these particles. These particles then collide with the air molecules in the cold, thin upper atmosphere . This causes ionization resulting in the production of colored lights, known as the auroras. The auroras occurring near the north pole are known as the northern lights or aurora borealis where as the auroras occuring near the south pole are known as the southern lights or aurora australis.

!

Moderator Note

Lala,

A reminder that plagiarism is strictly prohibited on this site. If you are copying sentences from other websites, you must cite them. That includes copying things (or parts thereof) from Yahoo Answers.

!

Moderator Note

Lala,

A reminder that plagiarism is strictly prohibited on this site. If you are copying sentences from other websites, you must cite them. That includes copying things (or parts thereof) from Yahoo Answers.

The sun produces heat and light due to fusionreactions. As a result, charged particles like protons, electrons etc.constantly flow out of the sun. The flow of these charged particles is called solar wind. As they enter the earth's atmosphere, they are attracted by the earth's magnetic field. The magnetic north and south poles of the earth change the direction and speed of these particles. These particles then collide with the air molecules in the cold, thin upper atmosphere . This causes ionization resulting in the production of colored lights, known as the auroras. The auroras occurring near the north pole are known as the northern lights or aurora borealis where as the auroras occuring near the south pole are known as the southern lights or aurora australis.

that is the text book reason for the northern lights yes

sorry for thinking most knew

next time i will use

"This is a text book note"

before i post

By Olala ^.^)/

P.S I just fixed it so it says "A Text Book Note" <(^.^)>

Edited by Lala

And what does that have to do with the moon, and light reflecting off of it?

"Text book"The sun produces heat and light due to fusionreactions. As a result, charged particles like protons, electrons etc.constantly flow out of the sun. The flow of these charged particles is called solar wind. As they enter the earth's atmosphere, they are attracted by the earth's magnetic field. The magnetic north and south poles of the earth change the direction and speed of these particles. These particles then collide with the air molecules in the cold, thin upper atmosphere . This causes ionization resulting in the production of colored lights, known as the auroras. The auroras occurring near the north pole are known as the northern lights or aurora borealis where as the auroras occuring near the south pole are known as the southern lights or aurora australis."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

as the light from the sun hits the earth

the S & N poles would pull the red light to them

light is attracted to the two poles on earth

because of the earths magnetic poles

it changes the direction of the sun light

so the S and N poles should light up red

when the moon does

but they dont

it comes down to this

one of the text books reasons is wrong

#1 why the moon turns red

or

#2 the A: for why we have the N & S lights

what one do u think it is? ^.~)?

By Olala ^.^)/

Edited by Lala

Look Lala, your own post state that it is charged particles that make up the solar wind, which are affec.ted by the earth's magnetic field ( north/south magnetic poles ), not light.

Everyone else is being too polite to tell you, but can you read and understand your own posts ??? Get a clue before you get an opinion ( and an attitude too ).

and by the way

the reason i said do u know how TV's work

is because when u turn them off

what u see is black

A small detail, but what you see is the colour of the screen when no power is applied. In the "olden days" of crt televisions it was often a light shade of grey. It only seemed black by contrast with illuminated parts of the screen. It is true that these days the screens are much darker.

Edited by Joatmon

Look Lala, your own post state that it is charged particles that make up the solar wind, which are affec.ted by the earth's magnetic field ( north/south magnetic poles ), not light.

Everyone else is being too polite to tell you, but can you read and understand your own posts ??? Get a clue before you get an opinion ( and an attitude too ).

u seem to of not read it right

here let me "Q" myself for you......

"ONE OF THEM ARE WRONG

WHAT ONE DO U THINK IT IS?"

The meaning of what that means: The text book reasons "Contradict" each other.

here is some of that attitude you seem to want to get to know

hope that helps you to get a clue

plz feel free to reread things before u post

u seem to need it ^.~)/

new Info added: This is not a news-stand

you can sit there and take as long as needed

we will never ask you to buy before you read or understand it.

my meaning of buy in that sentence: "Sarcasm"

By Olala biggrin.gif

Edited by Lala