When The Moon turned Red

Lala

this is one more thing i don't understand about the moon

Nasa says we have yet to see the dark side of the moon

this tells me the moon does not spin as it goes around us

so here is my ?

how does the one side of the moon that is always facing the earth get hit by things from space?

i was thinking the only way the moon could have holes from other rocks in space

on that side of it

is if the moon in its past were not always there around the earth

and if that is right

then why didnt the moon hit the earth

like other pieces of rock in space?

By Olala ^.^)/

Edited by Lala

Draw a picture to scale and see just how much the moon's face is shielded by the earth. The angle to the target is a full 180 deg. minus the angle shielded by the earth. Most interplanetary debris is in the plane of the ecliptic, so that should be a good approximation.

When the sun, moon and earth are lines up during a lunar eclipse, no direct sunlight can reach the moon. However, the light coming from the sun that passes a little to the left or a little to the right of earth, will pass through the atmosphere but not hit the earth. When this happens, the atmosphere diffracts and filters the smaller(blue) wavelengths of light out and leaves the red. It also bends the light towards the moon. This happens because the atmosphere is denser than a vacuum(obviously) and because of the chemical composition of the atmosphere, so the red light reflects of the moon and hits your eyes and you see a red moon :)

We only ever see one side of the moon because it's rotation has been slowed by tidal forces from the earth, because it is so close (relatively) these forces have a significant effect.

this is one more thing i don't understand about the moon

Nasa says we have yet to see the dark side of the moon

this tells me the moon does not spin as it goes around us

so here is my ?

how does the one side of the moon that is always facing the earth get hit by things from space?

i was thinking the only way the moon could have holes from other rocks in space

on that side of it

is if the moon in its past were not always there around the earth

and if that is right

then why didnt the moon hit the earth

like other pieces of rock in space?

By Olala ^.^)/

It's not the "dark" side; I doubt NASA would make such a mistake. It spins once per revolution, but it was not always the case. It took time to achieve tidal lock. Some billion(s) of years ago, when much of the cratering took place, it rotated faster and the whole surface of the moon was exposed.

The moon is thought to have been created from the earth is a collision, rather than being a captured body from somewhere else.

When the sun, moon and earth are lines up during a lunar eclipse, no direct sunlight can reach the moon. However, the light coming from the sun that passes a little to the left or a little to the right of earth,

will pass through the atmosphere but not hit the earth. When this happens, the atmosphere diffracts and filters the smaller(blue) wavelengths of light out and leaves the red. It also bends the light towards the moon. This happens because the atmosphere is denser than a vacuum(obviously) and because of the chemical composition of the atmosphere, so the red light reflects of the moon and hits your eyes and you see a red moon :)

We only ever see one side of the moon because it's rotation has been slowed by tidal forces from the earth, because it is so close (relatively) these forces have a significant effect.

if that were true then everything in space next to the earth would look red

like hubble and so on

but it does not

so tell me how this text book reason can be true?

By Olala ^.^)/

Edited by Lala

if that were true then everything in space next to the earth would look red

Obviously, not everything should be red. But some othger things should also be red.

still, it's a good question... and it made me think for a while. :)

I understand and agree with the explanation of RichIsnang... but I fail to find any pictures or movies to support it (other than the time lapse of the lunar eclipse itself). And that seems weird.

It would make sense that every orbit satellites should go through a zone where they should be colored red because of the same phenomenon, before they go into the real shadow of the earth. That makes sense. After all, most satellites go through an "eclipse" every orbit (they go from sunlight into the earth's shadow).

I always thought that the lunar eclipse turned red for the same reason that twilight on earth looks red. Looking at a

, you can also notice that the moon, like twilight, goes through a transition of yellowish, to orange, to red, to even darker red... And the further the moon moves into the shadow behind the earth, the darker the color. But it is a little puzzling to me too why I cannot find a decent movie of twilight in orbit. This movie shows that it's dark for a very long time, then blue for a while, then red-orange-yellow for a very short moment, before going into full sunlight. The blue confuses me.

So far, the only good "twilight from orbit" that I found is this one. In that movie, the sun looks pretty yellow/orange... but as soon as it's below the horizon, the red layers are just as bright as the blue. And a little later, at the sunrise, the red seems missing altogether.

Obviously, not everything should be red. But some othger things should also be red.

still, it's a good question... and it made me think for a while. :)

I understand and agree with the explanation of RichIsnang... but I fail to find any pictures or movies to support it (other than the time lapse of the lunar eclipse itself). And that seems weird.

It would make sense that every orbit satellites should go through a zone where they should be colored red because of the same phenomenon, before they go into the real shadow of the earth. That makes sense. After all, most satellites go through an "eclipse" every orbit (they go from sunlight into the earth's shadow).

I always thought that the lunar eclipse turned red for the same reason that twilight on earth looks red. Looking at a

, you can also notice that the moon, like twilight, goes through a transition of yellowish, to orange, to red, to even darker red... And the further the moon moves into the shadow behind the earth, the darker the color. But it is a little puzzling to me too why I cannot find a decent movie of twilight in orbit. This movie shows that it's dark for a very long time, then blue for a while, then red-orange-yellow for a very short moment, before going into full sunlight. The blue confuses me.

So far, the only good "twilight from orbit" that I found is this one. In that movie, the sun looks pretty yellow/orange... but as soon as it's below the horizon, the red layers are just as bright as the blue. And a little later, at the sunrise, the red seems missing altogether.

Dear CaptainPanic

I am so happy to see that others get and understand what i was try'n to say

i think i may <3 u!

By Olala ^.^)/