Marijuana evolution

weed is illegal for several reasons. none are because it harms you in any way. i think the main reason is cause it cannot be controlled. anyone can grow weed in their backyard. nobody would be able to make much money off it. and other companies would lose a lot of business. people may switch from alcohol to weed. alcohol is much more dangerous than weed but its still legal mainly because its not easy for people to just make their own.

and as for brain damage, weed may cause some short term memory loss while high but not after and there are no long term effects.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we're on the topic, does anyone know if marijuana causes permanent brain damage? I've read some studies that say pot's been shown to hinder short-term memories in heavy users, but it did not say what "heavy users" meant or what "hinder" meant.

Ok, now, I don't really have much to add to this debate except for on this point. The answer to the question has been a resounding "We don't know". This has been because, apparently, access to pot for experimental purposes is severely restricted, apparently more so than some other and worse drugs. This has greatly hindered our understanding of what it does, how it does it, atc, especially in long-term studies. Without this information, it's hard to make informed decisions, either personal or political.

Mokele

It just amazes me that in our society alcohol is fine' date=' but pot is illegal.

What an absurd situation.[/quote']

Indeed. It's because the government makes tons of money from the taxation of alcohol and the "war on drugs". Money makes the world go round...

• 4 weeks later...
The answer to the question has been a resounding "We don't know". This has been because' date=' apparently, access to pot for experimental purposes is severely restricted, apparently more so than some other and worse drugs. This has greatly hindered our understanding of what it does, how it does it, atc, especially in long-term studies.

Mokele[/quote']

altho many countries including the U.S. have done studies on marijuana, the U.S. gov't. doesn't make it easy for common folks to find the information. a good source for documents on the experiments is http://www.jackherer.com jack has done all the leg work getting a hold of federal documents. i have seen several articals in JAMA over the years on med. studies of marijuana. peace pam:embarass:

Legalization of marijuana has been a sticky issue for quite some time now. (No pun intended). The problem with the legalization of it is that if it suddenly made legal, you will see a HUGE rise in the number of users and at this point in time not enough research has been done to conclusively say 'it's perfectly safe' or 'it's horribly bad'. As much as many people might be inclined to think, there is a large section of the population whose only reason for not using it is because it's illegal. Throw in the huge number of people who do it already, and the number of people who would suddenly become marijuana users would skyrocket. Now if we find out that the stuff is horrible and shouldn't be legal, you'll have a very difficult situation on your hands. (Something akin to prohibition in the 1930's I believe).

Now there are aspects of marijuana that are known. Number one is that it does increase one's appetite. This has been proven and is a reason why chemically produced THC is used in many chemotheraphy regimens. (Look up information on the drugs dronabinol and/or marinol). So the US Government does acknowledge the medical benefits of THC. Another proven fact about marijuana is that it will affect how your memory works. This doesn't mean that using it will make it so you can't remember anything, but it does mean that you'll need to work harder to keep your memory. Those who don't seem to have trouble with their memory simply have found a new pathway in their brain to use. Those who do have trouble have not been able to do that.

Flat out legalizing marijuana would just be downright irresponsible. Saying 'it's illegal and will never be legalized' without doing massive research on it is also irresponsible. Taking time and researching what it does, then slowly legalizing it on a 'licensed basis*' would be a better thing to do.

(* By 'licensed', I would mean that those of legal drinking age (21) would be given a license to use marijuana. This license would require that usage be limited to their residence and not while operating a moving vehicle or on public property. If one is caught using pot in a public area, or while driving a car, then the license would be revoked and posession of pot would be just as illegal as it is now. If you're responsible, then you can smoke pot all you'd like.)

• 4 weeks later...

Can i just add something, THC is not the only chemical responsible for creating a high, there are quite a few. This is why different strains create different effects as there are varying amounts of the physcoactive chemicals.

• 1 year later...
I understand that it has been over a year since the last posting but was searching the web and found this forum and felt the need to add something.

1st the comment that all drugs are bad. I watch tv alot (a horrid thing I know) and i see drug commercials all day long are they all bad too. if you have high blood pressure and have tried diet and exercise but still can't get it low enough "too bad, drugs and bad"

2nd number of deaths per year that result directly or primarily from the following causes nationwide according to the World almanacs, LIfe Insurance actuarial rates and 20 years of surgeon general's reports.

asprin (including deliberate overdose)180-1000

caffeine(from stress, ulcers and triggering irregular heartbeats ,etc)1000-10000

illicicit drug overdose (deliberate or accidental from all illegal drugs)3800-5200

marijuana 0

marijuana users aslo have the same or lower incidence of murders and highway deaths and accidents than the general non marijuana using population according to crancer study ,uclaand mary other studies thru out the world for names of studies just ask

did u see that on a shirt called h.e.m.p.???(help eliminate marijuana prohibition)my brothers got that shirt, anyway,it's been proven that drivers who are intoxicated with alcohol are 80% more likely to crash than a person intoxicated with marijuana

Marijuana contains a mild hallucinogen. Hallucinogens 'diminish' the Ego, which we use to interpret the world. The Ego is essentially a filter which gives 'meaning' to our experiences.

Once are Egos are diminished we filter less of what we experience and this makes us more open to new ideas, and more sensitive in many ways to what goes on around us (although marijuana also makes us slightly tired as well, which lessens this effect).

Unfortunately, it also makes us more open to ideas such as paranoia, which is the main hazard of marijuana, and in fact most hallucinogens.

Once the door to paranoia is open it's hard to shut again.

Thusly I don't touch the stuff anymore! Also, it's usually smoked so can you lung cancer!

Once the door to paranoia is open it's hard to shut again.

Yeah, cuz I just sit in the doorway and drool on the floor...

Seriously though, that's interesting about how it diminishes the ego. I had always thought of it as slowing down the firing between neurons, causing a "dumbed down" effect. I don't know where I read that, or if I just dreamed it...or if I made it up after getting high once.

• 1 year later...
Ask anybody who smokes weed and they will tell you they like nature. The stereotypical stoner hippies always want to save animals and forests. I began smoking about 3 years ago on a casual basis and since I have taken an intrest in biology and evolution and I think it is because of weed. So you have to admit that there is something in weed that makes you like and appreciate nature.

So there is something in the chemical THC that when the brain gets high on it over a period of time it slowing makes you like nature. But is this just a fluke of evolution that this plant gets this unusual chemical or is there something behind evolution...like a god.

So how does science explain the evolution of THC in marijuana without saying from random mutations when this plants evolution had a goal. Humans are smart and destructive so marijuana get us high while slowing making our minds appreciate and like nature. And it makes us peaceful. Maybe nature has the key to world peace.

The only thing I know of that pots increases my love of is good music, Doritos, and chocolate!

It's been many years but "I still recall the juke box hall where the music played"

SUPA STONER TO THE RESCUE! looks like this thread got off track, let me answer some of the original questions presented. :D

So how does science explain the evolution of THC in marijuana without saying from random mutations when this plants evolution had a goal.

I guess the explanation of THC would be that it's a form of protection. If you were to start grazing on marijuana, I think you'd feel pretty ill.

I'd like to come back to the original question guys: Why THC in plants?

My theory: Plants develope different kinds of poisons, which are able to kill animals, who eat those plants. THC might have had a bad influence on animals like maybe certain Insects. This of course is just a theory of mine.

Besides, in some animals, such as rabbits and canines, THC is poisonous and lethal in what would be considered small or moderate doses for humans.

Hmm... I think the anti-freeze theory is interesting and very probable. However, why would an annual plant (non-perrenial) need to stay alive through the winter or cold weather?

1. Hemp's native land is dry, and at some elevation... the crystals (not just thc) aid to prevent transpiration, aswell as provide some UV protection.

2. The crystals are sticky and aid defense to insects (traps them to die)

3. The crystals are sticky (and infact grow on what becomes the seed pod) and aid in catching male pollin.

4. The idea that it evolved as a poision is far from true. Animals are attracted to the smell, and attracted back to consume more by the Reward (good vibes:D) The idea that THC is toxic is wrong, toxic level is 50% of body wieght pure THC (ive always wonderd how they new the chimp didnt die of the infusion, 50% body wieght infusion of saline could easily kill)

5. Mainpoint on #4 is its a dispertion stratigy... Hempseed is very tough and passes through the digestive tract of most grazers realitivly unharmed... The secondary point to #4 is the bud is low caloric.. that is why its very oderfull and Requires additional reward motivation.

As for Azurepheniox... I wish i was here when you were active (sexualy..jk:eyebrow:). I too have had many life expirences. Learning from such and being candide about them is indeed part of growing up. Learning from books, about other people, how your words will be interperted and how to shape them properly is just as important (weeds DISTROYED my mind... its now just a run-on sentence).

If you were tackling any other drug it would have been much easier... The most depressing fact about it all is this. There are 2 psychoactive cannibiods, there are dozens more not so. Cannibiods have very unique effects on the body (to much to go into). The non-pschoactive chemicals have more promise in medicine then medical marijuana. Criminilization of marijuana has held back the studies ALOT... it wasent but a few years ago they discoverd the endogenous receptor site...

You do sound a bit like a cokehead, its probaby just cuz your young... It was very insightfull to say sex is like "fight or flight"... its actually better, its also "feed and breed" (sympathetic/parasympathetic)... It also strongly activates dopamine reward pathways, so does cheese, rollercoasters, drugs, back rubs, shopping... anything that makes you happy. Cocaine activates these pathways and plays with dopamine more than any other drug. That is, to be addicted to something that makes you happy is closest to cocaine, but everyone is addicted to being happy... Except monks who strive to remove this.

Check out my new insight, just came in from outerspace....

The munchies seriously helps the dispertion stratigy.... Its not uncommon for plants to use that version. One of the benifits of this is the manuer it is dispersed with (nuetrients)... BUT THE MUNCHIES.... thats alot of crap (nuetrients):D

15 minutes later EDIT #2..... I also realized some of this is evidence for it being somewhat harmless, Atleast for a rabbit that eats it... Doing direct harm wouldent be very symboitic... like a flower that gets a honeybee so drunk he cant fly home...

2 Hours later EDIT #3... I forgot that THC doesent pass well by itself into the blood via the digestive route. Digestive tracts of grazers are different, not sure how it would effect this.

Edited by blazarwolf
multiple post merged

,it's been proven that drivers who are intoxicated with alcohol are 80% more likely to crash than a person intoxicated with marijuana

We've had this out before - I agree. It's still not safe (but driving is not safe anyway - even when completely sober) but drink driving is WAY WAY worse. It's because you feel less confident and take less risks (even though your reaction times arn't impared that much) - were as with drink - you feel way MORE confident and take more risks, even though this time your reactions are SERIOUSLY impared.

PS - NO_ONE IS SAYING TOKING AND DRIVING IS SAFE HERE - JUST MUCH SAFER THAN DRINK DRIVING FOR THE RESONS STATED ABOVE.

• 4 years later...

I could be wrong, but I think that as we developed as a species, we, as four-legged mammals or maybe even later than that, ate a LOT of cannabis. It became part of our bodies over millions of years, leaving behind cannabinoid receptors in our CNS and even in our blood. Then, we left it behind and found other food sources.

When we smoke it, we "remember" the time we ate it for food.

I think that's what happened.

• 4 weeks later...

"...So how does science explain the evolution of THC in marijuana without saying from random mutations when this plants evolution had a goal."

THC evolved as a defense against insects. It's psychoactive effect on people is a side effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Good, its advisable not to.

I know a good number of people who were once decent and had brains but with excessive use they just got brain dead and became idiots..........most of my area actually, (i live in the "drug capital" of NZ)

Please confirm that they exclusively kept to cannabis and not any other drug, including alcohol and cigarettes.