Who here edits Wikipedia?

Sisyphus

I remember having edited some terribly-written advertizing article about a science forum some time ago. Wrote two articles for the german version, made a few edits (as an IP) on the english one. What I find interesting is the very wide range of competence encountered on WP (that includes feedback by people who have no a-priori knowledge about the topic at hand). What I dislike are amateurs trying to contribute directly to topics they don´t have a clue about ("I have rewritten the introduction such that it´s easier to understand" on the cost of the introduction now being wrong) and page-long pointless discussions which only become so long because many people feel they can contribute to the topic ("We need a WP standard: Should we denote vectors with arrows or with fat letters?").

On occasion, when I feel like it. It seems to come in bursts, especially when I get irritated by the grammar in some of the articles. But mostly I just read it.

Agreed. When Wikipedia was first starting, I would edit things left and right. However, the community has grown, and I don't have to do as much as I once did. Therefore, I sit on the sidelines and fix grammar when it annoys me.

The other thing that has been annoying me is when people tell me how to do things on Wikipedia. I think to myself, "I've been active over 4 years. STFU." Yeah, they don't like that attitude of mine. I try filling a hole with a new article, and they instantly want it deleted if it's not "good enough." Back in the day, they would keep it if it simply filled the hole. These days they want sources and everything else. Ugh.

Well, its a free encyclopedia that any idiot can edit, what do you expect?

I don't see that as something invalidates the good sides though. There are "idiots" everywhere, free or not. It might even be a good lesson :) for us to not believe" everything we read, even though it's expensive or the author claims to be some authority. For anyone who wants real understanding I'd take it as a suggestion only, and try to verify it and the idiots will often sort themselves out quickly.

Anyone who considers themselves incapable of making some sort of basic evaluation of the information, is probably dangerous to themselves to start with and have to learn the hard way.

I've just added details on some topics that was wery thin or nonexistent, but from what I remember mostly on the swedish wikipedia.

/Fredrik

The other thing that has been annoying me is when people tell me how to do things on Wikipedia. I think to myself, "I've been active over 4 years..

Since when has tenure equated to expert.

These days they want sources and everything else. Ugh.

That's a bad thing because...

I've never edited or added a wikipedia entry, because A. I don't feel I'm qualified yet to be making entries on an encyclopedia that's available to anyone with internet access, well not in the categories I'm interested in, and B. I'm too busy for correcting entries et.c as long as the info is correct, the rest is rather trivial IMO.

I improved an article one time (and I do mean improved), and the guy who wrote the section I edited must have had it on his watch list because he came back and restored it, leaving a snotty comment on the changelog.

I couldn't be arsed after that.

Oddly enough this weekend I have been going through a particular set of pages and noticed all sorts of factual errors, ignored conventions, and so on. I was going to correct them, then thought "actually no - I am putting together a competing resource and with all these errors on Wikipedia, mine is better."

So there you go :P

What competing resource?

And, incidentally, with regard to those errors, you must remember that it is perpetually a work in progress. There will be errors. And there is nothing to stop anyone from making it worse, intentionally or not. But there is a steady trend towards progress, because the positive forces far outnumber the negative. Experts contribute, consensus is built, stable versions emerge. Errors are usually reverted quickly, and corrections almost never revert. When they do, it can be worked out in discussion. It's basically impossible to build and maintain a consensus about something which is false.

The best way I can server humanity, especially in this case is to say the hell away. People like me are the ones who gives wikipedia a bad name.

"A boson is a very large animal....."

What competing resource?

Should have "it" finished this weekend so expect bloggage :cool:

(And by competing resource, I don't mean competing with Wikipedia as a product, I just mean that I am providing better info than them about a certain subject, so don't get too excited!)

ZING!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4530930.stm

i dont make adjustments, but im a huge fan of it. it's not research in a can, but its proven to be a good first stop just to overview and browse by hyperlinks for me.

I still thinkt that only means that the Encyclopedia Britannica is, despite its name, not very good either.

Mostly I only correct gross errors in Wikipedia, too.