Science is science. The truth is only one.

Not anyone can be a scientist. This is only for noble people.

Because in the way of knowledge there are usually lots of times in which one has to recognize he was wrong.

Do we agree?

I'll tell you about my case.

I am 27 years old, I only finished high school, but I have found the cure of autism and a lot of chronic illnesses.

It has always been hidden in plain sight.

Not anyone can be a scientist because intelligence is not innate to everyone.

And now we will wake up to having trusted in white smocks, and in people for their diplomas, for their having been able to repeat well.

And just as intelligence is not innate to everyone so isn't nobility or a good heart.

This way, there are lots of times in which there are perverse people, intelligent by the way, in places of influence.

And these would own big sums of money, would work together, and shape us a system of mental conditioning in which we may think ourselves doing some big job, when it's only part of the biggest lie ever created.

And when any of you be able to realize, which will be your reaction?

Are you going to keep spinning on your hamster wheel? Or help us bring a better world?

Solutions empower the people. Taking away the pacifier may upset some, but when solutions are put at hand, there is not much place for being a pain.

We are learning the lesson worldwide.

Guillermo Yacante Afonso.

Search my name.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Guille Yacante said:

Not anyone can be a scientist. This is only for noble people.

Because in the way of knowledge there are usually lots of times in which one has to recognize he was wrong.

Do we agree?

I am 27 years old, I only finished high school, but I have found the cure of autism and a lot of chronic illnesses.

It has always been hidden in plain sight.

Not anyone can be a scientist because intelligence is not innate to everyone.

And now we will wake up to having trusted in white smocks, and in people for their diplomas, for their having been able to repeat well.

And just as intelligence is not innate to everyone so isn't nobility or a good heart.

This way, there are lots of times in which there are perverse people, intelligent by the way, in places of influence.

And these would own big sums of money, would work together, and shape us a system of mental conditioning in which we may think ourselves doing some big job, when it's only part of the biggest lie ever created.

And when any of you be able to realize, which will be your reaction?

Are you going to keep spinning on your hamster wheel? Or help us bring a better world?

Solutions empower the people. Taking away the pacifier may upset some, but when solutions are put at hand, there is not much place for being a pain.

We are learning the lesson worldwide.

Guillermo Yacante Afonso.

Search my name.

Thank you.

I got off my hamster wheel some time ago. 

I don't understand the rest of your post at all. 

18 hours ago, Guille Yacante said:

I am 27 years old, I only finished high school, but I have found the cure of autism

First you have to explain why autism needs a cure.

11 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

No, just questioning the disease.

It's a spectrum.  At the high functioning end, one might argue it's just a different cognitive style and I'm open to that.  But I worked for a while with people elsewhere on the spectrum, where there were severe cognitive and social disabilities, and for them a cure (or, realistically, any amelioration) would be most welcome.  

23 hours ago, Guille Yacante said:

I am 27 years old, I only finished high school, but I have found the cure of autism and a lot of chronic illnesses

Ahhh perfect timing, I needed a new snake oil supplier. How much ya got? 

2 hours ago, TheVat said:

It's a spectrum.  At the high functioning end, one might argue it's just a different cognitive style and I'm open to that.  But I worked for a while with people elsewhere on the spectrum, where there were severe cognitive and social disabilities, and for them a cure (or, realistically, any amelioration) would be most welcome.  

Yup. I'm all for hijacking this weird af thread for as long as it lasts to talk about autism. 

Just so people are aware of what is meant by spectrum, it is a collection of symptoms and behaviours of which many conditions, neurological and psychological states share a lot of overlap. 

Because of this, many react to words like "cure" or "low functioning" negatively due to a misconception amongst autistic individuals and their advocates to be expert authorities on the "condition" because they or someone they know doesn't fit into certain boxes. 

The two divergent models of disability also plays a significant role in this. Those who's issues lie within the medical model of disability absolutely need effective treatments and cures. Those who's issues lie within the social model of disability require their environments to be treated or cured. To make this more confusing, most of the conditions still have overlap. Hypersensitivity to light is an example often associated with AS conditions. The medical fix may be via optometry and the social fix is accomodating lighting installations. 

I do get what Dim is getting at though and agree with the sentiment. The generalised psychiactric labelling of what is clearly many different conditions, for the purpose of simplified medical signposting is confusing enough for medical experts and downright dangerous in it's invitation to invite public misunderstanding and stereotyping of austism spectrum conditions to the degree where even the sufferers and their advocates just don't get it. 

It's similar to but obviously not as bad as if they decided that instead of specific cancer diagnoses, all medical signposting would say is "Cancer spectrum disorder" and just hope the person on the treatment end knows what to do. Because cancer spectrum disorder could be anything from a small mole to stage 4 stomach cancer or an inoperable brain tumour. 

What many psychiatrists fail to grasp is that the act and implications of psychiactric labelling have broader ramifications than just how they as individual doctors treat them, but how everything outside of the doctors control is going to treat them. 

Just so we are clear, cancer most certainly is a disease and I don't believe autism is anywhere near cancer nor do I believe people with autism are a disease. My criticisms revolve around medical signposting and careless, thoughtless, lazy labels. A cry for more precise terminology is a standard that most scientific fields adhere to. Exhibit A, pluto is no longer thought of as a planet. 

19 hours ago, TheVat said:

I meant that I don't think it is a disease.

I worked at a Rudolf Steiner care home, as the house father (their title) I'd stay there for 3 day's at a time, and I saw a lots of issue's both good and bad with lot's of people on the extreme end of the spectrum. I didn't see anything that made me think they had a disability, sure from my POV their 'severe cognitive and social issue's' was challenging bc I couldn't think like them, my natural empathy couldn't get a foothold. Their good days and bad days, resonates with ours, theirs just seem extreme to us, it's just another day for them.

What I will say is, who are we to decide they even need a cure, let alone welcome it?

20 hours ago, TheVat said:

My son knows several people, formerly at school and now at university, who are on the autistic spectrum and obviously highly capable. The fact - which I had absolutely no idea about - that @Markus Hanke is also on the spectrum (!) is another illustration. I have my suspicions that various eminent figures in history (Newton, perhaps?)  may also have been.

People of my son's generation are getting quite comfortable with the idea that autistic people can fit into society perfectly well. But then there are other cases that are clearly very difficult. At the other end of the scale, when my son was small one of his schoolfriends was a little girl who had an autistic brother, who still could not speak at the age of 5.  (This girl once told him that when she grew up and married him (!) she wanted 3 children: one boy, one girl and one autistic. )   

4 hours ago, dimreepr said:

I meant that I don't think it is a disease.

I worked at a Rudolf Steiner care home, as the house father (their title) I'd stay there for 3 day's at a time, and I saw a lots of issue's both good and bad with lot's of people on the extreme end of the spectrum. I didn't see anything that made me think they had a disability, sure from my POV their 'severe cognitive and social issue's' was challenging bc I couldn't think like them, my natural empathy couldn't get a foothold. Their good days and bad days, resonates with ours, theirs just seem extreme to us, it's just another day for them.

What I will say is, who are we to decide they even need a cure, let alone welcome it?

The decision is made when a person wants to communicate and relate with others, hold a job, have their own home, pay the bills, travel around unassisted... and has a disability which prevents these.  That's what disability means.  There were persons I worked with who faced such obstacles and yes, welcomed a path towards surmounting them.   Their lives were better for seeing such a path and being able to move past, e.g., flicking their fingers back and forth in front of their faces for hours while spinning a coke bottle on the floor 3000 times while their loved ones silently weep.  

16 hours ago, dimreepr said:

I'd like a cure for social anxiety and I'd like to have the ability to regulate my emotions without having to take medication everyday. 

It is a hard question you ask, besides the individuals who are with it enough to say yes or no, I really couldn't say. Parents/Guardians maybe? Whomever pays for their care? It's not very clear cut. I could argue that absent a declaration of wilfully being against cures for certain symptoms or disorders, how would we know either way? They could be living in a mental hell and if these hypothetical cures enable more people to live independently and free up care and medical resources for others who still need it, why shouldn't we when adhering to all other legal and ethical considerations?

Like I said, I don't really know. It was a good question though.

12 hours ago, TheVat said:

The decision is made when a person wants to communicate and relate with others, hold a job, have their own home, pay the bills, travel around unassisted... and has a disability which prevents these. 

I think what Dim is referring to are the cases of low cognitive functioning or such extreme sensory hypersensitivity, where an individual would not understand or could not make sense of, nor respond to, the usual "Do you give permission to have this medical treatment performed on you?".

Hopefully my response to Dim satiafies him somewhat.

14 hours ago, TheVat said:

There were persons I worked with who faced such obstacles and yes, welcomed a path towards surmounting them. 

Yes, absolutely. But remember the context of this discussion - the claim was made that autism is a disease that’s due to blood toxicity, and can be cured on that basis. This of course is utter nonsense, and as an autistic person myself I’d really wish there was a way to rid us of such snake oil salesmen (and there are many of them).

Autism - like other forms of neurodivergence - isn’t a “disease”, it’s a difference in brain physiology that has genetic, developmental and environmental factors involved. It cannot be “cured” in the classical sense, for that reason. It manifests across a range of areas - social, cognitive, executive functioning etc -, and impacts a person’s quality of life anywhere on a spectrum from very mildly to extremely severely. Succinctly stated, neurodivergent people tend to have support needs - we must live in a world that is fundamentally designed for neurotypicals (both culturally and evolutionary), but because we aren’t neurotypical, some expectations can be hard for us to meet and some situations difficult to handle, and we need support and accommodations to manage them. Some of us need only a little (or no) support and accommodation, others need a lot, and for some it’s debilitating, and they need 24/7 support and care. 

So in my personal opinion, it’s not about “curing” autism - which fundamentally suggests that we’re somehow deficient and need fixing, which is a questionable stance to hold. Rather, it’s about recognising that autistics may need extra supports and accommodations in certain areas, and being willing to offer those. There are also meaningful interventions available for at least some of the more severe and debilitating manifestations of autism, and I completely agree that these should be offered so long as the aim is to improve quality of life, and not just to make people “less autistic” and “more normal”. That’s an important difference. We will never be neurotypical, but with the right help we can become less dependent on external supports.

There’s another thing I’d like to mention, which is not so often talked about - some commonly held life goals and values that are normal and generally unquestioned in the neurotypical world may not be shared by all autistics. For example, wanting and needing to be social and around others, wanting to acquire possessions and material goods, wanting to have family and procreate, conforming to gender norms, following generally accepted blue prints for how life should be lived, ideas around what has value and what doesn’t, concepts of what gives us meaning and joy in life etc. While this is of course very individually different, not all of us autistics share these goals and values, so we end up in a situation where we are forced to try and fit into a society and culture that feels fundamentally alien to us. We can’t be our real selves, but must train ourselves to wear a certain mask and act a role so that we might appear to be able to meet the expectations of a neurotypical society, simply because it’s practically and logistically very difficult to exist outside that system. We feel like we don’t have a choice, so we live a life that’s at odds with who we are. This creates a lot of suffering and struggle. So at least part of our suffering isn’t due to autism itself, but due to demands and expectations placed on us by others to “be a certain way”. 

15 hours ago, TheVat said:

flicking their fingers back and forth in front of their faces for hours

Such behaviour - called stimming - causes us no suffering. On the contrary, it feels soothing and comfortable, and dissipates the perceived pressure of sensory overload. I do it by (gently) pressing certain places on my hands for example, and it helps me to self-regulate. Who are others to say that this is wrong and needs fixing?

I would suggest that the problem here isn’t this particular behaviour pattern itself, but how it is perceived by others. From a neurotypical point of few it appears meaningless, odd and not normal, and it is tacitly assumed that the one engaged in it does it only because he feels compelled to do so, and thus suffers. But it’s not like that - it’s a self-regulation tool, like people take a painkiller when they have a headache. Both help increase well-being. The problem is only that society has deemed taking painkillers to be acceptable behaviour, but not flicking your fingers. If you stop an autistic person from stimming, or shame them into hiding the behaviour, you aren’t acting to promote their overall welfare, even if as a result they might appear “more normal” and supposedly fit in better. I would suggest that training autistics to appear less autistic is generally not in our overall best interest, unless we ourselves specifically ask for such interventions.

This is a difficult ethical question, particularly for severely autistic children - there’s ways and training methods to make them appear less autistic, so they can function better in neurotypical society. The price they pay of course is that they’re forced to be something they’re not, that they’re forced to play a part in a story they themselves haven’t read or understood. Are you really doing them a favour, are they really suffering less afterwards? Most people in the autistic community who underwent such childhood interventions seem to say that no, it wasn’t in their best interest, even if it did enable them to function better in society. The general consensus is that providing supports and accommodations on an individual basis if and when needed, is probably the best way for most of us. Sometimes that means we need a lot of support, and that’s the measure of a modern enlightened society - how it relates to their weakest members, who perhaps can’t contribute in traditional ways.

Caveat: if the behaviour is dangerous, or injurious to one self or others, as sadly sometimes is the case, then of course intervention is necessary regardless.

21 hours ago, TheVat said:

The decision is made when a person wants to communicate and relate with others, hold a job, have their own home, pay the bills, travel around unassisted... and has a disability which prevents these.  That's what disability means.

This is a topic on it's own; each one of us could be describe as disabled by that criteria. It's like anyone who declared themselves as a self made millionaire, they're deluded.

If we think we can function in any way, without the help of other's, then so are we.

The vast majority of us would struggle to stay alive, without the cacoon of society.

8 hours ago, MSC said:

I'd like a cure for social anxiety and I'd like to have the ability to regulate my emotions without having to take medication everyday. 

I think the vast majority of us want to be better at life.

8 hours ago, MSC said:

think what Dim is referring to are the cases of low cognitive functioning or such extreme sensory hypersensitivity, where an individual would not understand or could not make sense of, nor respond to, the usual "Do you give permission to have this medical treatment performed on you?".

Hopefully my response to Dim satiafies him somewhat.

It's not me that's accused of being diseased or disabled. I'm just referring to 'people' that struggle with what life throws at them, who here can say they don't?

Edited by dimreepr

On 3/23/2024 at 7:12 PM, Guille Yacante said:

Do a 'Too long didn't read' answer to what causes Autism please.

@Markus Hanke remarks were helpful and I agree with his observations, born from more direct knowledge.  I hope it is clear I was speaking of support and developing coping skills to further life goals and not a "cure" for neurodivergence.  Among staff I worked with, during my brief time working with ASD folk, there seemed to be some varying views on stimming, but I would trust MH's observations.  My training pointed me towards looking around at the environment and seeing if stimulation could be reduced so as to ease the felt need for it - and, with some clients, see if they could articulate where a reduction in excess stimulation could be effected.   This is what I earlier meant by "finding a path" past stimming - i.e. finding a quiet corner where other engagement could be enjoyed and not suppressing the stimming as something wrong.  I recall one client who was overstimulated by the appearance of certain foods and so, enlisting the help of a nutritionist, we helped them develop a nourishing menu where they could look at their plate and eat with contentment (vs finger-flapping and running away from the table).

46 minutes ago, TheVat said:

I recall one client who was overstimulated by the appearance of certain foods and so, enlisting the help of a nutritionist, we helped them develop a nourishing menu where they could look at their plate and eat with contentment (vs finger-flapping and running away from the table).

One of my friend's, would eat from the compost heap when he couldn't do his colouring-in.

6 hours ago, Markus Hanke said:

There’s another thing I’d like to mention, which is not so often talked about - some commonly held life goals and values that are normal and generally unquestioned in the neurotypical world may not be shared by all autistics. For example, wanting and needing to be social and around others, wanting to acquire possessions and material goods, wanting to have family and procreate, conforming to gender norms, following generally accepted blue prints for how life should be lived, ideas around what has value and what doesn’t, concepts of what gives us meaning and joy in life etc. While this is of course very individually different, not all of us autistics share these goals and values, so we end up in a situation where we are forced to try and fit into a society and culture that feels fundamentally alien to us. We can’t be our real selves, but must train ourselves to wear a certain mask and act a role so that we might appear to be able to meet the expectations of a neurotypical society, simply because it’s practically and logistically very difficult to exist outside that system. We feel like we don’t have a choice, so we live a life that’s at odds with who we are. This creates a lot of suffering and struggle. So at least part of our suffering isn’t due to autism itself, but due to demands and expectations placed on us by others to “be a certain way”. 

Glad you said this; for example not a lot of people understand that I do not have a very strong material drive at all and I have a hatred of money. Which personally I don't see as that disabling really. It can certainly make things difficult in some respects but in others it's better. For example if I was on SCOTUS, all the crap that corrupted Thomas Clarence wouldn't motivate me to be as much of a corrupt asshole as he is. 

Feel free to go up and read my earlier comment by the way. 

9 minutes ago, MSC said:

Glad you said this; for example not a lot of people understand that I do not have a very strong material drive at all and I have a hatred of money. Which personally I don't see as that disabling really. It can certainly make things difficult in some respects but in others it's better. For example if I was on SCOTUS, all the crap that corrupted Thomas Clarence wouldn't motivate me to be as much of a corrupt asshole as he is. 

Second that.  There are a fair number of us neurotypicals (possibly a misnomer in my case) who just aren't much interested in jumping onto the consumerism treadmill or filling our nests with shiny things.  I'm married to someone who is more towards the center of the having-stuff-keeping-stuff spectrum, so it's always been something of an adjustment for me to deal with her clutter and Museum of My Life and Heritage.  

Which personally I don't see as that disabling really.

It can be liberating.  I also imagine my spinal health if my wife had had my minimalist approach to stuff during our household moves.  

1 hour ago, TheVat said:

Second that.  There are a fair number of us neurotypicals (possibly a misnomer in my case)

Possibly, there is a belief that neurodivergence is a lot more common than we realise and since people have a tendency to only see it when there is a lot of contrast; as in we see and acknowledge neurodivergence only when an individual is really struggling with some aspect or aspects of life and is considered disabled or on the other end we only see and acknowledge it when the person is something of a savant. That tendency makes us miss the more subtle signs of it. 

That said, who decides what neurotypical is? Where is the baseline or control group of humanity that we can point to as having "normal" brains? 

Madmen define what mad is, turning witches and saints to ashes. 

Heretic blood - Avenged Sevenfold

The line from this song always makes me think about this stuff. Historically it speaks to the fact that those who led, orchestrated and took part in witch hunts suffered from paranoid delusions about witches being real, and more contemporary meanings around the nature of mental healthcare and how many of the workers and professionals in the field of mental healthcare, have mental health issues of their own. From the psychiatrists to the psychiactric nurses. 

On 3/24/2024 at 3:02 PM, MSC said:

What many psychiatrists fail to grasp is that the act and implications of psychiactric labelling have broader ramifications than just how they as individual doctors treat them, but how everything outside of the doctors control is going to treat them. 

Just so we are clear, cancer most certainly is a disease and I don't believe autism is anywhere near cancer nor do I believe people with autism are a disease. My criticisms revolve around medical signposting and careless, thoughtless, lazy labels. A cry for more precise terminology is a standard that most scientific fields adhere to. Exhibit A, pluto is no longer thought of as a planet. 

Just wanted to include with this a comparison between the USA and the UK, I was diagnosed with aspergers in the UK where it is or was still a diagnosis, but I live in the USA where no such diagnosis exists as it is under the umbrella term of AS conditions. 

6 hours ago, dimreepr said:

This is a topic on it's own; each one of us could be describe as disabled by that criteria. It's like anyone who declared themselves as a self made millionaire, they're deluded.

If we think we can function in any way, without the help of other's, then so are we.

The vast majority of us would struggle to stay alive, without the cacoon of society.

This is why I call them autism spectrum conditions instead of disorders and don't like the term disabled. A person without arms cannot arm wrestle but can run, a person without legs can arm wrestle but cannot run. I know I sound like a broken record when talking about contextualism, but context really is one of the most important factors in discussing everything. If I were to ask how long will it take a 20kg weight to fall 20 metres when dropped; most will rush to start calculating the answer, but very few will ask something like "are you dropping it on planet earth or somewhere else?".

11 hours ago, Markus Hanke said:

Yes, absolutely. But remember the context of this discussion - the claim was made that autism is a disease that’s due to blood toxicity, and can be cured on that basis. This of course is utter nonsense, and as an autistic person myself I’d really wish there was a way to rid us of such snake oil salesmen (and there are many of them)

Just so you're aware, OP made a similar post in the psychiatry and psychology section but I posted a link there to the only known experiment where a round of hemodialysis was administered to an infantile girl with autism which had no effect or significant change in symptoms. Since there was no significant change and the procedure would be difficult to administer to a larger group of autistic individuals due to behavioural or cognitive issues they opted not to look any further, thankfully. It's not something in our blood.

It does suck that we have to suffer these charlatans but all we can do is respond with facts and truth. This guy will probably get himself banned soon and his posts rightly put in the trash can section. 

Released today:

https://neurosciencenews.com/neurodiversity-strength-25818/

A new study highlights the need to recognize and celebrate the diverse skills of individuals with neurodevelopmental conditions like ADHD, dyslexia, and autism. The research advocates for a shift in perspective, focusing on strengths such as creativity, resilience, and problem-solving, rather than deficits.

I hope it is clear I was speaking of support and developing coping skills to further life goals and not a "cure" for neurodivergence.

Yes, don’t worry 👍

My training pointed me towards looking around at the environment and seeing if stimulation could be reduced so as to ease the felt need for it

Yes, exactly.

The key point is this - the most severe forms of autism aside for the moment, most autistics are perfectly happy and do not suffer if they are allowed to “live in their own world”, ie structure their daily lives according to their own needs, and have the ability to pursue their chosen interests. It is chiefly when we’re forced into environments, situations and pursuits that are fundamentally at odds with our psycho-neurological makeup that we get into distress, which triggers things like the need to stim, sensory overload, and autistic burnout.

I think one possible way to help the autistic community at large, would be to exist within a system that provides some form of UBI (universal basic income). This would remove the pressure of having to somehow earn a basic living, while providing opportunities to contribute to society according to our strengths and abilities - and these contributions cannot always be measured in monetary terms. Needless to say, this would also benefit other groups whose contributions to society at large can’t be measured in money.

Just my two cents :)

11 hours ago, MSC said:

That said, who decides what neurotypical is? Where is the baseline or control group of humanity that we can point to as having "normal" brains? 

Yes, that’s a good point. I think there’s no objective measure for this - normal is what accords to the general consensus of what constitutes normality, so it’s down to who is in the majority. It’s a numbers game.

9 hours ago, MSC said:

I know I sound like a broken record when talking about contextualism, but context really is one of the most important factors in discussing everything.

Yes, your absolutely right. As they say: judge a fish by its ability to climb trees, and it will never amount to anything. That’s often how it is with ND people. 

18 hours ago, MSC said:

This is why I call them autism spectrum conditions instead of disorders and don't like the term disabled. A person without arms cannot arm wrestle but can run, a person without legs can arm wrestle but cannot run. I know I sound like a broken record when talking about contextualism, but context really is one of the most important factors in discussing everything.

So why do you call them, them? A person without arms, it's just easier to see what the problem is, the other side of that coin is also, them.

Them is such an insidious word, that it can be twisted to mean anything 'they' want... 😉

9 hours ago, Markus Hanke said:

I think one possible way to help the autistic community at large, would be to exist within a system that provides some form of UBI (universal basic income). This would remove the pressure of having to somehow earn a basic living, while providing opportunities to contribute to society according to our strengths and abilities - and these contributions cannot always be measured in monetary terms. Needless to say, this would also benefit other groups whose contributions to society at large can’t be measured in money.

Just my two cents :)

That would help me too, bc I'm too lazy to work hard, but I can think of a million ways to make work easier... 🙂