Airbrush

Confessions of a Qanon Believer

2 hours ago, Area54 said:

I thought schadenfreude would be the more usual word choice, rather than epicaricacy.

None of those is very usual in my neighbourhood. Where I grew up, I would've been beaten to within an inch of my life just for saying "I don't care for your schadenfreude." ;)

"Don't be so epicaricacious" wouldn't have fared much better, TBH.

The problem with humour that tries to be too "gentle", "inclusive", "non-discriminatory", politically correct, etc.; is that it's not very funny; nor is it very convincing, IMO.

Maybe that's why humour is an art, perhaps. I do believe in its power to convince, though, if done right.

I find your post funny, because I can relate.
( my friends would think I was a pompous ass if I used those words in conversation )

Looks like you've mastered the art.

10 hours ago, MigL said:

Looks like you've mastered the art.

I had to. I must deal with both delinquents and academics. Humour has helped me with both. For Qanon believers, I don't know what kind of humour would do the trick.

21 hours ago, joigus said:

"Love" is perhaps not the word I would have chosen for the brilliant point he makes, but I understand.

What word would you have chosen? 

As to Trump and his only-too-obvious scratching anybody's back as long as they scratch his... The only possible antidote I see is education. Not his, it's too late for that.

As to his ilk, it's too late too: Once people are in their forties+ they're just too set in their ways. I hope it's not too late for the upcoming generations.

Perhaps we need an "Ex-smoker" to rally the troops (or spread the word); there's few more zealous in educating other's.

Good standards of education that only the most ignorant of course will fear as indoctrination, ignoring the extent to which they have been indoctrinated by others. Education in critical thinking is critical.

Indeed, but since the current system, at least here, falls woefully short of the ideal; we could do worse than fall back to the word love, as an aim; it seems resistant to critical thinking, if applied correctly.

In order to reach and attempt to "de-program" a QAnon follower, it might be useful to explore the science of getting someone extracted out of a cult. This same approach may also sadly be required to reach a sizable share of ardent Trump supporters. 

46 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

What word would you have chosen? 

Perhaps we need an "Ex-smoker" to rally the troops (or spread the word); there's few more zealous in educating other's.

Indeed, but since the current system, at least here, falls woefully short of the ideal; we could do worse than fall back to the word love, as an aim; it seems resistant to critical thinking, if applied correctly.

I would have chosen "understanding," "empathy" => "sympathy," etc. Looking at the world with the other person's glasses, if only for a moment of consideration.

I totally agree that "love" is a good stand-for in the thinking. My problem with "love" is that it's been such an overused word, and it's just too easy a substitute for many different human emotions. Most people are really full of it, but try and do the experiment of telling them to be more concrete, to really put their actions where their mouth is: help, empathy, forgiveness, understanding, etc. Those are so much harder to master, because they require you to go from the abstract to the concrete.

Remember Oliver Cromwell? "Love the sheep, love the Sun, blah, blah" In the meantime he was sending soldiers and police to keep people's thoughts and actions under control.

"Love" is a very suspect word for me.

2 minutes ago, iNow said:

In order to reach and attempt to "de-program" a QAnon follower, it might be useful to explore the science of getting someone extracted out of a cult. This same approach may also sadly be required to reach a sizable share of ardent Trump supporters. 

Absolutely, and back on topic.

7 minutes ago, joigus said:

Remember Oliver Cromwell? "Love the sheep, love the Sun, blah, blah" In the meantime he was sending soldiers and police to keep people's thoughts and actions under control.

I'm sure the Spanish Inquisition was full of the word love too!

6 minutes ago, joigus said:

Most people are really full of it, but try and do the experiment of telling them to be more concrete, to really put their actions where their mouth is:

That's why we need an ex-smoker...

27 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

That's why we need an ex-smoker...

Anyone in mind? Though I think we need much more than that to deal with Qanon. Ideological/mythological detox is the hardest.

4 minutes ago, joigus said:

Anyone in mind? Though I think we need much more than that to deal with Qanon. Ideological/mythological detox is the hardest.

You can't fake a detox...

After thinking about this subject, and going down a Qanon rabbit hole, I think Qanon is the power of suggestion used on suggestible people.  You will see a blurry photo that could come from anywhere, maybe a scene from "Saw" perhaps.  Then a narrator explains what the blurry image is and tell a story that follows the script about Satanic, vampire, cannibal "elites" torturing children to stay young.  A suggestible person may bite the bait.  Perhaps some of the Qanon material could be of Russian origin, since that would be consistent with their objectives, to help Trump.  The letter I posted at the start of this discussion looks like a clever person worked out a plausible fiction in a form letter to anyone interested, to rope them in.  It looks as stupid as hell to me. :D

Edited by Airbrush

The right became powerful in Japan upon the formation and dissemination of falsehoods one 2Chan. Then 4Chan came up and some of the boards became extremely popular for peddling conspiracy theories. The board got shutdown and turned into 8Chan where QAnon posted. He’s likely the guy who funded 2Chan and 8Chan, just with bigger Rupert Murdoch sized ambitions. It then grew in the US into something organic and internal just like occurred in Japan. 

Divide from within then conquer. 

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/llhe5nm