Whats wrong with the Moderators on this site?

Gater

This is science website, not humanist's blog. If you make a claim, you need to support it by proper math equations.

Humanist can claim whatever he or she imagine. Scientist must be able to make prediction of how physical system is behaving, provide equations describing system, and confront it with experimental data. If confrontation is negative, equation is not correct, and entire hypothesis or theory, dismissed, dissolved.

23 minutes ago, Gater said:

Everytime I answer a thread I get accused of highjacking

If you reply to a mainstream thread with an explanation you're still speculating on, you're breaking the rules. Mainstream only in mainstream sections.

Unlike a lot of discussion forums, we allow a whole section for speculations, but you have to keep them there until they have some evidential support. You need to persuade people, using the scientific method and reasoned arguments, that your idea has merit. Until that's been acknowledged, please keep your unfounded ideas away from where students go to get explanations they can pass classes with.

27 minutes ago, Gater said:

Whats wrong with the Moderators on this site?

There's not enough storage space or bandwidth across the entire internet to satisfactorily answer this question. Said another way, how much time do you have?

13 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Humanist can claim whatever he or she imagine.

This is NOT a definition of Humanism I'm familiar with. Humanists favor a focus on the observable universe, its inhabitants, and their behavior over supernatural beliefs and pursuits. Is this a translation issue?

6 minutes ago, iNow said:

There's not enough storage space or bandwidth across the entire internet to satisfactorily answer this question. Said another way, how much time do you have?

Thank goodness stifling scientific truths is like therapy for me. Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better....

3 minutes ago, moth said:

No snacks or beer!

You do pick up some interesting tidbits now and then though. 

53 minutes ago, Gater said:

Everytime I start a thread they lock it - I suppose they fear someone might discover the truth.

Oh yeah, you're the one who spent so many pages obtusely arguing that spheres must have 3 dimensions when everybody kept telling you we were talking about the surface only. Shit like that will definitely get you locked down. Nobody has time for that. Nobody.

7 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

This is NOT a definition of Humanism I'm familiar with. Humanists favor a focus on the observable universe, its inhabitants, and their behavior over supernatural beliefs and pursuits. Is this a translation issue?

Thank goodness stifling scientific truths is like therapy for me. Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better....

You do pick up some interesting tidbits now and then though. 

Oh yeah, you're the one who spent so many pages obtusely arguing that spheres must have 3 dimensions when everybody kept telling you we were talking about the surface only. Shit like that will definitely get you locked down. Nobody has time for that. Nobody.

Spheres have 3 dimensions - so does a piece of paper - according to  some if you walk in a circle forever that represents infinity - it doesn't.

38 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

If you reply to a mainstream thread with an explanation you're still speculating on, you're breaking the rules. Mainstream only in mainstream sections.

Unlike a lot of discussion forums, we allow a whole section for speculations, but you have to keep them there until they have some evidential support. You need to persuade people, using the scientific method and reasoned arguments, that your idea has merit. Until that's been acknowledged, please keep your unfounded ideas away from where students go to get explanations they can pass classes with.

Oh - so logic doesn't matter on this site - I get it.

Just now, Gater said:

Spheres have 3 dimensions - so does a piece of paper - according to  some if you walk in a circle forever that represents infinity - it doesn't.

Still, huh? Dude, you are profoundly frustrating in your ignorance. No offense, really, but ignoring that we're talking about only two of a sphere's three dimensions when we talk about the surface is just... ludicrous. You can keep it up, but it's not science, it's not learning, and it's not meaningful in any way. Have a great day, or not.

1 hour ago, Gater said:

Everytime I start a thread they lock it - I suppose they fear someone might discover the truth.

They get locked because you’re breaking the rules, and what’s more, you have been told this. 

If someone is going to resent “the truth” they need to do a much better job of making their case than you have.

1 hour ago, Gater said:

Everytime I answer a thread I get accused of highjacking

WTF??

Maybe - and this may be a radical thought - stop hijacking threads? If you’re having trouble understanding the rules you can always ask questions.

8 minutes ago, Gater said:

It is this sort of deliberate obtuseness that gets your threads closed. If you were open-minded enough to learn instead of just repeating the same obviously false statements, then there might be hope for a dialog.

But if you are going to insist that your factually incorrect assertions are "logic" and everyone else (and all the evidence) is wrong, then there is no hope.

If you don't like the rules of the forum, and you don't find it a useful place for discussion, then maybe you should leave.

13 minutes ago, Gater said:

!

Moderator Note

And also comprehension of phrases like “we’re done”

Since that was apparently too complicated for you: DO NOT BRING THE TOPIC UP AGAIN. You had your chance.

22 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Humanist describes world or universe, using words. Mathematician and/or scientists add to it mathematical equations describing how physical system is behaving, interpolating and extrapolating further in time. It's easy to verify if mathematician or scientist is correct or wrong by looking at what was predicted and what has been found after a while when physical system evolved.

Book writer humanist could predict "human will be able to fly". Mathematician and/or scientist could tell how long will fly using how much fuel, velocity and thrust etc.

What I meant, humanist is not limited. Only by just his or her imagination. So can claim whatever he or she wants. Without any additional equations allowing to verify claim. Which is typically the case in Speculation section of this forum. Plentiful word of explanation, without any attempt to verify these words on the real data (using mathematics).

Edited by Sensei

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

It is this sort of deliberate obtuseness that gets your threads closed. If you were open-minded enough to learn instead of just repeating the same obviously false statements, then there might be hope for a dialog.

But if you are going to insist that your factually incorrect assertions are "logic" and everyone else (and all the evidence) is wrong, then there is no hope.

If you don't like the rules of the forum, and you don't find it a useful place for discussion, then maybe you should leave.

When or if you learn that Einstein was wrong about time and gravity, then you will begin to understand the Universe.

1 minute ago, Gater said:

When or if you learn that Einstein was wrong about time and gravity, then you will begin to understand the Universe.

"Ignore existing knowledge that has experimental and/or mathematical foundations and only listen to what I say  without supporting evidence".

How is that no soap boxing?

"You will only be healed from disease if you forget all medical research and biological knowledge and instead listen to my words (plus a a small contribution to my recently funded church of perpetual healthiness)."

3 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Humanist describes world or universe, using words. Mathematician and/or scientists add to it mathematical equations describing how physical system is behaving, interpolating and extrapolating further in time. It's easy to verify if mathematician or scientist is correct or wrong by looking at what was predicted and what has been found after a while when physical system evolved.

Book writer humanist could predict "human will be able to fly". Mathematician and/or scientist could tell how long will fly using how much fuel, velocity and thrust etc.

!

Moderator Note

This is (a) off topic and (b) wrong. If you want to discuss your misunderstanding of the word "humanist" start a new thread.