help me beat my teacher in a argument so i can have intense satasfaction

whyhellothere

So pretty much, my science teacher spoke about that egg thing where there's two eggs, one hollow and one normal,and if you dropped them at the same time they will hit the floor at the same time.

But i thought that the more the mass the more attraction it will have to other matter of higher mass (the earth).

Sandbox talk: So if you perfectly dropped the two eggs at exactly the same time in a vacuum so there's no opposite force and it were attracted to a gravitational force equivalent to earth,with the surface being absolutely flat, the egg with the most mass will hit the ground first at a small scale compared to the other hollow egg.

Its a stupid thing but i want to prove a lady who spent 9 yrs of her life learning physics wrong.

25 minutes ago, whyhellothere said:

So pretty much, my science teacher spoke about that egg thing where there's two eggs, one hollow and one normal,and if you dropped them at the same time they will hit the floor at the same time.

But i thought that the more the mass the more attraction it will have to other matter of higher mass (the earth).

Sandbox talk: So if you perfectly dropped the two eggs at exactly the same time in a vacuum so there's no opposite force and it were attracted to a gravitational force equivalent to earth,with the surface being absolutely flat, the egg with the most mass will hit the ground first at a small scale compared to the other hollow egg.

Its a stupid thing but i want to prove a lady who spent 9 yrs of her life learning physics wrong.

Isaac Newton proved 300 years ago that your teacher is right. You’re right, it would be silly if you argued with your teacher instead of asking her questions.

Edited by koti

Perhaps, whyhellothere, it would be more productive for you to figure out why you are wrong and she is right. If you find you cannot do that, then as Koti suggested, ask her questions. Alternatively, ask for further clarification here. (As a final alternative, drop physics and take up politics, where opinions seem to matter more than facts.)

51 minutes ago, whyhellothere said:

You are absolutely right, here. There is a greater force on the more massive object

The next step is to consider how the force affects objects of different mass.  Check out Newton's Second Law of Motion.

4 hours ago, whyhellothere said:

Gravity and the rate things things fall is a property of the attractor, not the attracted.

4 minutes ago, mathematic said:

Galileo gave the first demonstration (your teacher is right) when he dropped two balls of different weight from the tower of Pisa.

The story is almost certainly apocryphal. There are plenty of online sources debunking it. Here is an extract from one taken at random:

" Neither Galileo nor any of his contemporaries mentioned the Tower of Pisa story during Galileo's lifetime. The source of the myth is Galileo's first biographer, Vincenzo Viviani. Viviani is not considered a credible source because of other errors in the biography. There is documented evidence of two Tower of Pisa experiments during Galileo's time, neither conducted by Galileo. One of the experiments was done by Vicenzio Renieri, a Roman Catholic monk and professor at the University of Pisa. Renieri was a friend of Galileo's and reported it immediately to Galileo ( see Galileo's Contemporaries ). Another experiment was done by Giorgio Coresio, another University of Pisa professor. "

From this website.

3 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

If, simultaneously in a vacuum, you dropped 1000 empty egg shells and one egg would they not all hit at the same time? If you glued all 1000 egg shells together, giving them more mass than one egg, would they then fall faster?

I think this is basically the logic that led Galileo to the conclusion. 

1 hour ago, Strange said:

I think this is basically the logic that led Galileo to the conclusion. 

That is a wonderfully practical piece of logic.

Whenever Galileo comes up, I feel a responsibility to mention a great cosmologist, mathematician and free thinker - Giordano Bruno who proposed that stars are distant suns with their own exoplanets and that the universe might be infinite. He was tried for heresy by the inqusition and died a horrible death of burning at the stake in 1600. 

Edited by koti