Removal of the down-vote, yes or no?

Removal of the down-vote, yes or no?   

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should down voting be removed?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, Phi for All said:

post where you suggest modifying definitions of accepted terms so your arguments have more strength, it's probably from me. And you do it a LOT.

I've never done that. Stop misinterpreting me.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:49 PM, Phi for All said:

Sometimes misinterpretations are clear and accurate... 

That was my Itoero impersonation. :D

Yes but not this time. "That said, if you, Itoero, get a downvote on a post where you suggest modifying definitions of accepted terms so your arguments have more strength, it's probably from me. And you do it a LOT"

=>I don't  suggest modifying definitions of accepted terms ...I just have a different opinions regarding many concepts. I often don't mean 'absolutes' yet you denied and ridiculed it when I said it.

Also, Strange and Dimreepr both said I hate religion, I suppose many people think that but this is not true. All 'bad' stuff I said about religion I backed up with Wikipedia and pubmed.

I for example said how the presence of the Jews enabled the holocaust and several people 'including Strange' assumed I  said that Jews caused the holocaust.

6 minutes ago, Itoero said:

I for example said how the presence of the Jews enabled the holocaust and several people 'including Strange' assumed I  said that Jews caused the holocaust.

No that isn't the assumption. But if you can't understand why it is a problem to say that or, equivalently, "being female enables rape" or "having a home to live in enables burglary" then you need to think very hard about why not: the problem is with you, not the rest of the world.

6 minutes ago, Itoero said:

Also, Strange and Dimreepr both said I hate religion, I suppose many people think that but this is not true. All 'bad' stuff I said about religion I backed up with Wikipedia and pubmed.

But you selected only bad things. Why would you deliberately do that if not because of your prejudice against religion.

(I might have to report myself now for dragging the thread further off topic.)

On 1/7/2019 at 9:45 PM, Itoero said:

...I for example said how the presence of the Jews enabled the holocaust and several people 'including Strange' assumed I  said that Jews caused the holocaust.

Please treat this as a friendly tip, not anatagonism:

If you choose to be controversial you will need to accept the consequences. Believe me, I know what I’m talking about. 

Or

if you do it unintentionally for language reasons or not being able to fit in socially into the situation reasons, you will either need to learn how to navigate those or accept the consequences.

• 1 month later...

Abuse of the down vote for denigrating without direct insult might be prevented if a person who is being abused by the down voter has the power to block the person's down vote by blocking the person's comments.  Yes .. blocking comments is allowed, but the blocked person can still then freely use the down vote to insult. 

I don't see how the down vote or up vote is helpful in any way .. agreement or disagreement could be expressed in the discussion. 

Further, if a person down votes a particular person enough, the pack mentality might set in, a little blood being shed by one Piranha leading to a lot of blood by other Piranha.

Not everybody disagreeing with a point wants to jump into the fray, and/or anything they might have to say has already been said, so there is no point in responding. But it's still a way of giving feedback.

Personally, I tend to do one or the other, but not both, if I have an interest and also disagreement.

17 minutes ago, nymnpseudo said:

Abuse of the down vote for denigrating without direct insult might be prevented if a person who is being abused by the down voter has the power to block the person's down vote by blocking the person's comments.  Yes .. blocking comments is allowed, but the blocked person can still then freely use the down vote to insult. 

I don't see how the down vote or up vote is helpful in any way .. agreement or disagreement could be expressed in the discussion. 

Further, if a person down votes a particular person enough, the pack mentality might set in, a little blood being shed by one Piranha leading to a lot of blood by other Piranha.

It is not conducive to thread continuity just to call someone an idiot or, more positively, to say you like something someone said. It's a slap or thumbs up... no words necessary.

5 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

It is not conducive to thread continuity just to call someone an idiot or, more positively, to say you like something someone said. It's a slap or thumbs up... no words necessary.

I think I understand what you said and I think I agree with you.  It seems you were agreeing with me?  

15 minutes ago, nymnpseudo said:

I think I understand what you said and I think I agree with you.  It seems you were agreeing with me?  

I'm disagreeing with this:

agreement or disagreement could be expressed in the discussion

Sometimes it's a waste of thread space to post. If you think someone's being a dick, why derail the thread about it? Let the mods deal with it if they go too far. In the meantime, you can register your disapproval. Most of us don't neg rep for just being wrong. It's ok to be wrong, but it's not ok to be obstinately wrong without presenting the appropriate evidence to support ones position... that would be soapboxing.

Edited by StringJunky

1 minute ago, StringJunky said:

I'm disagreeing with this:

Sometimes it's a waste of thread space to post. If you think someone's being a dick, why derail the thread about it? Let the mods deal with it if they go too far. In the meantime, you can register your disapproval.

Agreed: Discussion shouldn't be about whether someone is a 'dick' or not .. it should be about the topic.  Perhaps posting information about the topic that's already posted can be wasteful, but reading back through 5 or 10 pages can also be wasteful of time particularly if there is something even small to add.  Yes certainly, insults should be reported for mods to take action.