geordief

Threads for dummies

Recommended Posts

Is this site's software  equipped  for curtailing the length of posts in threads?

Would it be a good idea to have a subforum  where we would be guaranteed that posts and responses would be short and to the point?

 

I accept my own intellectual limitations are not shared by all and that detailed posts are  valuable and necessary but  could there be an advantage  to also providing for  exchanges where just one point (of maybe two) at a time would be  expressed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iNow said:

So, twitter threads?

Something like that.If  it was feasible I would also like to insist on proper grammar and spelling.

I wasn't thinking of a limit on character numbers so much as a limit on the amount of sentences or ideas if  possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, geordief said:

a limit on the amount of sentences or ideas if  possible

I tend to agree since I never read longer texts. But doesn't the length of posts depend on the subject of the thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Itoero said:

I tend to agree since I never read longer texts. But doesn't the length of posts depend on the subject of the thread?

You mean that there would be times when an artificial restraint  on length would be too constraining and  make the exchanges dissatisfying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, geordief said:

Is this site's software  equipped  for curtailing the length of posts in threads?

No.

4 hours ago, geordief said:

Would it be a good idea to have a subforum  where we would be guaranteed that posts and responses would be short and to the point?

Instead say, "Want quick-read threads? Vote YES!"

4 hours ago, geordief said:

I accept my own intellectual limitations are not shared by all and that detailed posts are  valuable and necessary but  could there be an advantage  to also providing for  exchanges where just one point (of maybe two) at a time would be  expressed?

l personally dislike the idea. Forcing science discussions to be short goes against the nuanced and layered information structure of most explanations of natural phenomena. This is exactly why pop-sci articles cause as much trouble as they do to spur interest in the sciences. An explanation or argument should take as long as it takes. I think we already have a Quick Question thread for simple answers. I'm not sure what the objective is for a whole subforum of it, but if it attracts those who can't be bothered to read details, it sounds like it will mostly be good for dragging our reputation down as a serious science discussion site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

I'm not sure what the objective is for a whole subforum of it, but if it attracts those who can't be bothered to read details, it sounds like it will mostly be good for dragging our reputation down as a serious science discussion site.

I agree with this. Plus it would be a nightmare to enforce.

3 hours ago, geordief said:

I would also like to insist on proper grammar and spelling.

So what is the punishment if I put my comma in the wrong place?

Maybe find us a dunce avatar and make the offending party wear it for a week.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Outrider said:

 

So what is the punishment if I put my comma in the wrong place?

Maybe find us a dunce avatar and make the offending party wear it for a week.:)

I wondered if it could be done automatically(ie posting in those threads would not be allowed if those criteria were not fulfilled) but Phi said no, this site would not be set up for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, geordief said:

Something like that.If  it was feasible I would also like to insist on proper grammar and spelling.

I wasn't thinking of a limit on character numbers so much as a limit on the amount number of sentences or ideas if  possible.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooh boy another limit to what I would really prefer to describe when discussing physics lol. No thanks I have enough struggle keeping things as simple as possible lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well played, sir. I genuflect in your general direction :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, iNow said:

Well played, sir. I genuflect in your general direction :)

Does "numb and number" get me an additional curtsey?  (I have already ceded the  proposition btw)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2017 at 4:04 AM, geordief said:

Does "numb and number" get me an additional curtsey? 

Indeed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now