Vegan can help World Hunger

Okay, I'm talking about just people who have access to the grocery store, which is mostly everyone in Western society.

Yet you want everyone to change to fight WORLD hunger. Do you realize how many more people there are who aren't in Western society?

Do you know the first thing that happens when there is a first-world run (heavy demand) on a produce commodity like corn? The poorest million people in the world die. When the US decides to pay farmers more money for ethanol corn than they can get selling it as food, it starves off those who were barely getting by. Anything you try to do to change EVERYBODY is going to have severe consequences for the most fragile humans on the planet.

I think your idea is extremism, and I think you probably listened to someone you were impressed by, and you went overboard with it.

Okay, I'm talking about just people who have access to the grocery store, which is mostly everyone in Western society. I know people who are on a plant based diet and they said it is a lot cheaper than buying meat. Meat is expensive compare to legumes, lentils, rice and potatoes. I know people who were taking 8 pills a day and once they converted to plant based diet, they did not need to take the pills anymore. But I think that someone who is eating very little meat but mostly plant based diet can still thrive without worrying about obesity, diabetes, artery disease or heart disease.

Actually you can find those essential amino acids and protein found in meat in food such as hemp seeds, chia seeds, quinoa, legumes, lentils, and etc. According to American Dietetic Association(nutritional experts), a well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864

But yea, meat tastes good, we can't just give it up. Maybe reduction is a start. It's good for health, for the planet and for the animals.

You say this and I read an article the other day about babies dying because they were fed a vegan diet.

https://www.diet.com/g/american-dietetic-association?get=american-dietetic-association Not exactly a non profit organization with no agenda are they?

ForksOverKnives.com

The older group of Okinawans, generally those born before 1942, possess the highest functional capacity and longest survival in Japan, a country traditionally known for its longevity. Rates of heart disease and many forms of cancer are significantly lower among Okinawan seniors than in Americans and other Japanese people of the same ages. Almost two-thirds of Okinawans still function independently at age 97.

So what is the traditional diet of this group, remarkable for both longevity and healthy aging? Here were the major sources of their calories in 1949:

FOOD PERCENT OF TOTAL CALORIES

Sweet potatoes 69%

Other vegetables 3%

Rice 12%

Other grains 7%

Legumes 6%

Oils 2%

Fish 1%

The following foods each contributed less than 1% of total calories: nuts and seeds, sugar, meat, eggs, dairy, fruit, seaweed, flavorings, and alcohol.

It's not vegan, but very close.

Which food for a vegan diet do you need from other countries that you can't find from a grocery store?

Have you ever been in 'less developed' countries?

In area's where it's too dry/cold/warm/wet for sufficient edible green stuff there is often a lot of (edible) fauna...including insects. In Ghana for example the eating of bugs is an important part of the diet.

I don't think veganism is ethical justified. Its imo a lot more important to fill the belly of your children and keep them as healthy as possible then to feed them vegan.

Edited by Itoero

Have you ever been in 'less developed' countries?

In area's where it's too dry/cold/warm/wet for sufficient edible green stuff there is often a lot of (edible) fauna...including insects. In Ghana for example the eating of bugs is an important part of the diet.

I don't think veganism is ethical justified. Its imo a lot more important to fill the belly of your children and keep them as healthy as possible then to feed them vegan.

How about you? Where do you live and do you yourself have access to the grocery store?

How about you? Where do you live and do you yourself have access to the grocery store?

Yes, if I wanted to, I could be vegan...but I don't want to.

And from an evolutionary point of view, a vegan diet does not make much sense.

And from an evolutionary point of view, a vegan diet does not make much sense.

When living in the wild, no, it makes no sense at all. Being an omnivore species is of great benefit, because we have more food options. Ignoring evolutionary advantages in the wild is plain dumb. Not to mention that veganism requires land cultivation.

That said, I don't live in nature, I live in a city with a supermarket around the corner. This means I have a choice (and no, I'm not vegan at this time).

I find vegans rather irritating, to be honest. I used to live on a farm in Wales, where most of the land had very little topsoil, impossible to cultivate. The only way it could be used was for permanent pasture, and because our species has evolved a way which has severely limited our ability to digest grass, we find it economical to graze sheep and goats, and then eat them. If we did not do that, the land would be useless.

During our evolution, our species also lost the ability to synthesize vitamin B12, and we can only get this important vitamin from animal products. We had some vegan neighbours who lived in sheep-rearing country, living off state benefit and getting vitamin B12 tablets free from welfare, and preaching the immorality of eating animals. Some people have absolutely no sense of reality.

Edited by DrKrettin

I see, somehow vegans don't exactly strike me as a homogenous group..

This is probably at the heart of the problem, none of us are. I've known people who thrived as vegetarians, and others who broke out in sores and looked horrible. I know someone who was vegetarian and overweight for decades, and is now a hundred pounds lighter by dropping potatoes and grains and adding bacon to her veg diet.

It's probably not smart to dictate that everyone eat a certain way.

Animal husbandry was just as important as agriculture to a species developing keen intelligence.

The link between the development of intelligence and meat consumption is irrelevant to the debate of whether we should continue to eat meat. Unless the claim is that we need to consume meat in order to realise our potential intelligence?

It's an emotional appeal that's like armor against reasonableness.

In questions of ethics emotional responses are perfectly valid. There may be rational reasons to protect children from abuse, say, but emotional reasons are in people's thoughts when they see it. Why should issues of animal welfare be exempt from our emotional reach?

Perhaps a more compelling reason to reduce meat consumption is the development of antibiotic resistance - i can't imagine meat producers will change practices unless there is heavy consumer selection.

p

Animal husbandry was just as important as agriculture to a species developing keen intelligence.

I required formula myself. Not all babies can tolerate milk.

Hmmm...I met a parent who told me that at first she thought her baby was allergic to breastmilk but when she stopped eating dairy products, the baby's allergy to her breastmilk had went away. Humans are probably not meant to drink cow's milk but their own mother's milk.

This is probably at the heart of the problem, none of us are. I've known people who thrived as vegetarians, and others who broke out in sores and looked horrible. I know someone who was vegetarian and overweight for decades, and is now a hundred pounds lighter by dropping potatoes and grains and adding bacon to her veg diet.

It's probably not smart to dictate that everyone eat a certain way.

Yea, just because a person is a vegan doesn't mean they are fit. There are fat vegans and fat meat eaters. There are vegans out there who still eat packaged junk food. Also eating too much potatoes and rice gets you fat too. One of my co-workers who is a vegan used to have a lot of weight around his mid-section but when he reduced his rice, pasta and potatoes consumption and replaced them with a bit more lentils and quinoa, his weight dropped and had flatter stomach.

Also, there is a difference between vegans and vegetarians. Vegetarians eat dairy and eggs, vegans don't consume any animal product at all. Consuming too much dairy milk can also make people as fat as a cow.

Edited by ModernArtist25

It's not vegan, but very close.

I think in this simple sentence lies the obvious truth. It is very difficult to nourish yourself healthy with a pure vegan diet. But it is surely not necessary to eat so much animal food as we are consuming. There are too many problems with so many people eating so much animal food as we do:

• too much meat is not healthy
  • local environmental pollution due to superfluous manure, and its counterpart: loss of minerals and jungles in e.g. soja producing countries
  • waste of resources: 1 kilo of meat costs about 8 kilo vegetable food, and many times the amount of water than when we would eat vegetables, corn, rice etc directly
  • cows produce methane which is a strong greenhouse gas
  • misuse of antibiotics, hormones etc.
  • animal suffering in industrial livestock farming

It is not black of white: close to vegan would be best for all: human and non-human animals...

As for the topic: a vegan diet would help against world hunger, but there are surely many more factors that cause it, like stopping food waste and fair distribution of food amongst all people are just as important.

Hmmm...I met a parent who told me that at first she thought her baby was allergic to breastmilk but when she stopped eating dairy products, the baby's allergy to her breastmilk had went away. Humans are probably not meant to drink cow's milk but their own mother's milk.

We are not meant to eat or drink anything.

We are omnivorous, we eat whatever is available and we can digest.

Milk is very nutritious so if you can digest it...why not?

I drink at least 600ml milk a day.

Veganists also don't wear cloths with animal products in.

Edited by Itoero

We are not meant to eat or drink anything.

We are omnivorous, we eat whatever is available and we can digest.

Milk is very nutritious so if you can digest it...why not?

I drink at least 600ml milk a day.

Veganists also don't wear cloths with animal products in.

My sister who is a fitness trainer said when her clients complain of bloating, she recommends them to stop consuming dairy milk and other dairy products and they notice the positive effects immediately including less bloating. I also experienced the same thing with the bloating, I was drinking whey protein shakes and dairy milk almost every morning and once I replaced them with plantbased protein shake and almond milk, my waist is a lot smaller mostly all through out the day. I still eat meat though but had greatly reduced it. And I buy from a farm that raise animals ethically. And if for whatever reason I can't afford ethically raised meat, I would be on a well planned plant-based diet. I have a lot of respect for vegans, gosh I don't know how they can just completely eliminate meat from their diet, it tastes so good. I don't know if I can do it. But I do know that our food choices affect how we will leave Earth for the future generations.

America's best Olympic weightlifter is a vegan, I know how physically strong we are have something to do with our genes too, but daaaammmn:

http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/articles/why-americas-best-olympic-weightlifter-is-vegan-w434203

Edited by ModernArtist25