Skip to content

dimreepr

Senior Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by dimreepr

  1. You keep prefixing your posts with the word simple, as if you are capable of doing what you suggest, and that it's only a matter of time before we can understand exactly why Tracey is a sexy bird, despite not getting the horn ourselves... I don't even understand why I had a crush on Tracey human at school, she's propper ugly now... OK, let's do that. Do you think a dog/albatross has consciousness? Some of their behaviours are hard wired into the unconscious, so we can't point to them as evidence. I think ChatGPT would have a very good chance of persuading us that it's a dog/albatross, and in ten years time I dare say also a human, convincingly; at which point, we can no longer say "that machine is not conscious", we will never know bc we are not a machine; the machine will know that it is, but can only guess if we are... πŸ˜‰
  2. This is two different questions, bc nothing happens in a vacuum (ironically).
  3. From your link: Imagine if you could talk to an albatross directly? Would that mean you understand what is so sexy about Tracey Albatross? Even a quantum leap in the number of electrodes per neuron, 1-1, IOW, this is the neuron that went "phoar"; wouldn't explain why it thought a sexy thought. Well, I know I am bc I just had to walk to the shop to buy what I need to eat and drink today, I can reasonably assume the human shaped entities I saw doing the same, were as conscious as me; IOW I understand what it feels like to be a human bc their neurons fire in a similar way to me. From your thread: Perhaps, when we understand our own consciousness, we'll have a chance to understand what it feels like to be an albatross; only then could we have a guess at if a machine is conscious.
  4. I dare say they'll expect it, till the day they can't, then luxury takes on a whole new meaning...
  5. But they aren't excessive, especially now, after decades of the same mantra; it has become a clichΓ©, because people want to believe that any extra cash in our pockets will help us, in some way; growth is not just a math/cash problem. Of course not, they think they can survive it, for a number of reason's but mostly, bc they won't be around to see it; politics 101, don't be around when the miden hits the windmill...πŸ˜‡
  6. The idea that taxes can't solve a problem is demonstrably stupid, who payed NASA to go to the moon; and what was cut that stopped regular visit's? When are we (by which I mean people like you) going to realise that cutting taxes to promote growth is beyond naive, it's fucking insane; it's like the funnel of acceptance, that's taught to salespeople/banker's, "the magical cornucopia of plenty, where money is edible..."
  7. dimreepr replied to iNow's topic in Politics
    I get the joke, but I can't help but think that even geoff norcott would say "hang on a sec, what fire??? They not in the building yet...".
  8. Indeed, since it's not even a tangent of the topic at hand.
  9. Indeed, hubris seeds it's own demise, Trump is just a symptom of a deep seated disease.
  10. The real hubris of America (among others), is thinking that some people don't deserve a vote; I think populism would work fine if the populous all had a say. All democracy requires to reveal the truth of society, is everyones voice, not just those of us that think/assume we know better.
  11. Ultimately, it's Walt Disney's fault, for making us cry when Bambi's mum was killed; he greated the algorithm. That ignores the nuances of life, in favour of a cute picture.
  12. I can only imagine that he got hard... Which seems unlikely...
  13. Indeed, "cometh the hour cometh the man", all we got to ask ourselves, is this really the hour; or is it sometime next week?
  14. What makes you think space-time has a density? Fabric is a poor word to choose, it only explains things on one level, thereafter it's a hindrance to understanding; imagination only work's to expand our understanding, when diving from the right platform...
  15. The Judean peoples front... Fuck that...
  16. I'm a 'they' to you bc we don't agree... Seems like a fatuous reason, given that we are both human, and I'm going to assume male...
  17. Indeed, it/he seems like the fowl tasting medicine we just have to swallow, before we get better... The political pendulum has to reach it's zenith before it can swing the other way; the Trump may just be the easiest to swallow, we sure don't want it to ferment on that fruit...
  18. Blazing saddles, seems more appropriate in this thread...
  19. God has some very human attributes...
  20. Why? If that's an extention of "relativity", you should know, that it doesn't work for everything...
  21. Unfounded fear is still frightening, but do you really think a Biden voter would prefer TFG to an image of their scary mom/granny.
  22. Indeed, religious thinking is available for all of those with an agenda, scientist's are such an easy target, bc one of them made a laughable mistake once (probably for money)... Delicious irony, if one doesn't like people...
  23. The best animal for the task, in my opinion, has to be an octopus bc it doesn't seem to need a memory to work.
  24. Did you even read my post? I've never advocated that we should adhere to any old text without any sort of critical thinking, but a good idea is a good idea despite who wrote it; denying that kinda makes one religious. The American constitution for instance, is currently heading towards the sort of conditions that inspired people like Jesus, Mohamed, Gandhi and Mandela, The constitution had some great idea's, until the word amendment was, somehow, defined as unchangeable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions β†’ Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.