Skip to content

dimreepr

Senior Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by dimreepr

  1. And we circle back to my point, even if a computer is conscious we will never know. That's the thing about rabbit holes, they're a warren of unknowns. 😉 I think the word potential is confusing you, think of it in terms of the wiring rather than the thinking.
  2. We're either talking past each other or you're being obtuse. I seek no objective in life, I'm happy to just sit here and think about thing's, what number would you give that? Either I'm to stupid to understand or you haven't explained it well enough, it's bad form to refuse a request for clarification. Ok, please show me the mathematics of how you would model the reality of fun? You do know that we haven't got a TOE, nor the prospect of getting one, don't you? Irony, I suspect, is just as difficult to pin down for a mathematician. 😉
  3. Employers care, they want more natural light during working hours, all that free vitamin D makes less sad worker's... The night shift, on their own... 🤞
  4. And you're not making any sense... It has to me... What is it I'm projecting? Whichever way I parse this, the answer is no...
  5. That's just diving down a rabbit hole, that we don't need to explore; for instance, an ant can do some very clever thing's in real estate but it's no architect, it never thinks (as we understand it) it just processes very simple data according to a relatively simple algorithm. Trees communicate, but they never think about why... 😉
  6. Not for everyone, that's why we're in this mess; Trump, for instance, is far more likely to spend his last day's in a comfortably warm prison cell, than fighting for the last blade of grass, as is the son he taught...
  7. Essentially, the fall of Rome is the same as every other epoch, IOW "This too shall pass"...
  8. Indeed we all have clocks, some of them slow and some of them fast, without them we're bloody useless at guessing/perceiving the time. Can you please clarify what the topic question actually is?
  9. That doesn't mean its objectively measurable by anyone else. Like I said you're confusing the word, and yourself, in the context of the question asked.
  10. Indeed, all we got left is the brace position and the hope that it won't hurt too much...
  11. Who, in their right mind, cares? Trump is definately 'East of Eden'...
  12. The only problem with that argument is, that we all perceived that change at different rates, even when we're sitting on the same sofa...
  13. It never is, nevertheless that is what it does when we think about thing's. I'm no neurologist, but that all just seems like the type of wiring needed for a neuron to do it's job. That's the spark they send (when they fire) down the wire, if you mean they have inbuilt wifi, I'm going to disagree...
  14. Well, you could have put that a lot more concisely, 🙄 but what I took from it was, you're confused about what objective means in this context. For instance, there is no objective measure of my subjective experience, which brings us full circle, bc that is the nature of our existence. 😉
  15. Depends on what's on it. Some stories are easier to parse in person...
  16. The complexity is the wiring not the neuron, it either fires or it doesnt as does a transistor. We don't even know if our dog's are conscious and they are basically the same way as us; AI is but a child, we can't possibly know what it will grow up to be...
  17. A neuron still works very much like a transistor, that doesn't mean the brain is a computer, but it does mean the brain is copyable given enough transistor's wired in the right order. You should read this (or whatch the film): What would an NDE look like for a computer?
  18. Perhaps you can provide a more concise explanation of what you are trying to say, bc what I'm getting from you is that it's subjective, which I'm pretty sure was covered on page one, what I'm not seeing is the objective part of your position. As for an example of what I mean; I don't like celery, even though it's objectively edible and that many people say it's delicious.
  19. No, it only allows you to measure it against a known change, but unlike like the weight of a kilo it doesn't vary with its position in space; IOW it's not a dimension itself, it's part of the description.
  20. The thing about bias is, intelligence has little to do with it... So, the more voters, the less we have to rely on what's considered "the light at the end of the tunnel". And consider which way the light is pointing... 😇
  21. The scarey bit is the word 'our', bc it doesn't work for everyone... 😇

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.