Everything posted by dimreepr
-
voting for a president or leave a like on youtube : how do we call this phenomenon ?
A saying of my father was, "whoever I vote for, the government always win", which is of course true but in my societies version of pseudo-democracy it's because the balance of the government is becoming skewed, due to my vote being further diluted, by the latest winner with a minority percentage of the voting public. It's not a reason to stop voting, fighting or pointing it out; but it is a reason why I doubt my vote counts for much, especially since I'm poor (as a church mouse)... When did I say I don't vote?
-
I can't imagine there is no God (hijack from Are you atheist?)
Don't forget that Jesus, ghost, wrote the bible not God; and Jesus had to figure it out for himself, otherwise his sacrifice for mankind would be meanless (he had to doubt his father, to see the light). So, was it God or you that forgave you? Can you accept that not every path to contentment is trodden, with God at ones side, even if it's the same path?
-
voting for a president or leave a like on youtube : how do we call this phenomenon ?
You're free to give me a neg, if I make you/it uncomfortable...
-
voting for a president or leave a like on youtube : how do we call this phenomenon ?
Any democratic process that isn't proportional representation is flawed, and even then it's not perfect; but that question depends on context, for instance: A government that runs a comfortable society is going to get less people interested in voting, than a dance competition; the less comfortable it gets, the more ridiculous a dance competition becomes...
-
What's the point of philosophy?
Why? And what does hammer, in this context, mean? What do you think that means? You clearly don't understand the mirror metaphor. And that's the point, in a way, your assumption and judgement is the mirror you can't see beyond. The subtext here suggests the more objective perspective, is the one you agree with... And if you can't agree upon those terms, your fully covered and can storm out in righteous indignation...
-
Anarchism Anyone?
-
voting for a president or leave a like on youtube : how do we call this phenomenon ?
It shouldn't, that's the point... My chance of winning the lottery maybe equal to that of a king, but my chance of influencing him is roughly equivalent to my chance of shitting in his handbag... Sounds like a good excuse to discount it... Did the combatants in WW2 or Ukraine, decide for themselves to fight a war?
-
voting for a president or leave a like on youtube : how do we call this phenomenon ?
That's certainly how a democracy should work, unfortunately most are run by oligarchs and influencer's, youtube and friend's have stacked the deck; so in my country, the chances that my vote will make the/a difference, is roughly equivalent to me winning a lottery; and with those odds, what's the point of buying a ticket?
-
War Games: Russia Takes Ukraine, China Takes Taiwan. US Response?
I think Xi is still in negotiations with Taiwan and America, he's happy to wait for the best price. Putin, however, has just doubled down on his mistake and is now praying that the price isn't too high. TBH I wouldn't be surprised if Xi had a quiet word of encouragement in Putin's ear, all the while intending to look at his feet and whistle, when the shit hits the fan; because who's better placed to swoop in and save Russia (for himself)...
-
Is it wise to freeze energy prices ?
How can we be sure that you're rational or haven't just plugged yourself into the mains?
-
Does darkness exist ?
No shit Sherlock... Though it does pose an interesting philosophical question, if we think in the dark, how will we see the light? 🧐🤔🙄
-
Nuclear atom
Well, sniff, there's all sort of dead cat in this box, so I'm going to have a guess...
-
Christianity; the myth of resurrection
Yes, you're so frightened by the thought that you might be wrong, that you're willing to drown at the bottom of the well you've dug, rather than clime the ladder provided. To illustrate: Me: You look hungry, here's a sandwich. Very hungry you: No thanks (thinking, it might be a trick and I'll look silly). Me: OK (thinking, he's just being proud), well I don't like these, can you do me a favour and put them in that bin over there, please. Very hungry you: Do it yourself (thinking, it might be a trick and I'll look silly). Your train has derailed, it's up to you too notice.
-
Is it wise to freeze energy prices ?
It's always struck me that an unrestricted/unregulated version of capitalism, is a rather silly way to ensure one's future... Feel free to ask me why, the answer is... If you're going to post, at least try to make sense... 😉
-
Is it wise to freeze energy prices ?
Every decision has consequences and every consequence is death for someone The question then becomes, would you throw your granny/children under the bus to save you???
-
Christianity; the myth of resurrection
Did you ever consider, that it's just that, a story; a metophor designed to teach a lesson, it's not the story that's to blame if you don't understand the lesson. For intance: "John 11:23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again. 24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day. 25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: 26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?" Could mean, other people will come to understand what I'm trying to teach independent of me, i.e. the idea shall rise again, much like my re-interpretation of the old testament. Or it could mean, God had a change of heart and decided to re-animate a human, instead of smiting the rest of us; to make it's point...
-
Christianity; the myth of resurrection
The tyranny of choice is what we do to ourselves...
-
What is the Purpose of Life ?
If you read the thread first, you'll find it's your answer that has no purpose... 😉
-
What Does/Should “democracy” Mean?
It's interesting that you think that, I was thinking of Ghandi when I wrote it.
-
Might Makes Right & that is the Truth
Ohh, the irony... How deep are you going to dig this hole???
-
Is it wise to freeze energy prices ?
"Is it wise to freeze energy prices ?" There's a certain level of irony here, I wonder if you'll notice... Indeed, it's relatively simple: Cut tax and it's your children's tax that pays the bill, that they can't afford. Tax everyone equally, and "WE" can afford it. The obvious problem here is, Mr Jack... 🧐
-
War Games: Russia Takes Ukraine, China Takes Taiwan. US Response?
I get that a lot, mostly from people who have no counter argument and just want to be right...
-
War Games: Russia Takes Ukraine, China Takes Taiwan. US Response?
And no doubt Mr Jack, you'll be telling us that, you are an ethnic ukrainian, living in the Crimea, wishing you were Russian... 🤔🙄 Don't worry, this is just a dream... 😉
-
What Does/Should “democracy” Mean?
I think the scales will find balance, however briefly, whether we like it or not, however determined we are to fight against it and whatever system of governance we use; it's inevitable. I think the should part is because democracy is the most painless/bloodless way to achieve 'a balance', however briefly; as such I think PR democracy is the inevitable end of every society (look at German history), "IF" we get enough time. All we can really do about the state of our nation is, sit back get comfortable and wait... And yes, before I get the inevitable push back, I understand that great change, in any society, requires a great fight; but I'm too comfortable sitting in front of this bulldozer, to fight anyone...
-
What Does/Should “democracy” Mean?
I largely agree, but we have to be careful with the langauge we use (bolded) as it can be used to separate the population into, entitled to vote and not entitled to have a view; there's few people better placed to recognise/critique a self serving/greedy politician, than a criminal. I'm reminded of this, as a demonstration of the fine line a true democracy needs to tread.