What's your IQ

Sriman Dutta

I'm sory StringJunky but this is a science forum and proof is required.

LOL! You get the idea? The OP - although they may not realise it - is a "Mine's bigger than yours question". You never see "My IQ's 100. What's yours?"

Edited by StringJunky

This is it: everybody has some sort of strong ability towards something which may not be problem-solving that IQ tests are supposed to measure

With the complexity of the human mind I think we are very far away from creating a truly adequate IQ test.

From what I've seen, these online IQ tests don't even scratch the surface.

Plus a thought of such a complex IQ test coming into existence makes me sick. Imagine what would employers do with it.

Edited by koti

With the complexity of the human mind I think we are very far away from creating a truly adequate IQ test.

From what I've seen, these online IQ tests don't even scratch the surface.

Agreed.

Mine's 8 inches.

You're lucky. I have to keep mine rolled up. A cutie walked by and people thought the circus was in town.

I used to obsess over that stuff and take all the online IQ tests and looked at things that attempted to approximate IQ by SAT scores and things like that. In truth, though, I have no idea what my IQ is because I've never sat for a pro tired test, and frankly, I don't really care. It's just a number. It doesn't mean anything.

How you score on a test of any kind of talent or ability matters far less than what you use that ability for. You could be the smartest person in the world, but if all you use it for is to sit at home on the couch posting about how you have a super high IQ, then good for but that's not really very impressive. Likewise, if you do truly brilliant work in any field of human endeavor, nobody is going to care what number you got on an intelligence test.

Internet IQ tests are for eggheads what standing in front of a mirror and flexing is for meatheads.

I used to obsess over that stuff and take all the online IQ tests and looked at things that attempted to approximate IQ by SAT scores and things like that. In truth, though, I have no idea what my IQ is because I've never sat for a pro tired test, and frankly, I don't really care. It's just a number. It doesn't mean anything.

How you score on a test of any kind of talent or ability matters far less than what you use that ability for. You could be the smartest person in the world, but if all you use it for is to sit at home on the couch posting about how you have a super high IQ, then good for but that's not really very impressive. Likewise, if you do truly brilliant work in any field of human endeavor, nobody is going to care what number you got on an intelligence test.

Internet IQ tests are for eggheads what standing in front of a mirror and flexing is for meatheads.

Sounds kind of like a straw man though, because you're only addressing a couple of aspects of this problem. I personally struggle with the effects having learning issues and a lower IQ score. It does affect one's ability to have any kind of real potential for anything. I notice it in myself and I notice it in others as well. There are many times I'm overwhelmed with material that most people have no problem with. I can only really speak for myself, and I can see that there are some very profound limits to my learning capabilities. I've tried every which way to avoid facing this reality, but at the end of the day I cannot stand to suppress or deny facts to comfort myself, I love to deal with them head on. I think there is definitely something to be said about using logic and reasoning tests to measure one's reasoning abilities and intelligence level. It provides the empirical data that should be expected if someone is smarter or if someone is less smart. The number does matter. Data matters.

Edited by Tampitump

Sounds kind of like a straw man though, because you're only addressing a couple of aspects of this problem. I personally struggle with the effects having learning issues and a lower IQ score. It does affect one's ability to have any kind of real potential for anything. I notice it in myself and I notice it in others as well. There are many times I'm overwhelmed with material that most people have no problem with. I can only really speak for myself, and I can see that there are some very profound limits to my learning capabilities. I've tried every which way to avoid facing this reality, but at the end of the day I cannot stand to suppress or deny facts to comfort myself, I love to deal with them head on. I think there is definitely something to be said about using logic and reasoning tests to measure one's reasoning abilities and intelligence level. It provides the empirical data that should be expected if someone is smarter or if someone is less smart. The number does matter. Data matters.

If the spec required of a person for some particular job or activity is measured by the test, then fine, but its range of applicability is very narrow and doesn't cover most people in terms of what they are capable of. The trouble is that they are held up by people as a benchmark to cover all of human intelligence, As has been said before: a high IQ just means one is good at doing IQ tests.

Edited by StringJunky

My IQ was a lot bigger in my early teens when I had it tested. I'm dumber now.

I can see a certain connection here with dick size**. By the way, is there any correlation with that and IQ at all? positive or negative?

**After reading that, I meant it as a general comment, nothing personal.

Edited by DrKrettin

What about you?

It turns out that people in science are not usually bothered by their IQ. Generally, no-one is sure that IQ means much other than you are good at IQ tests. I have never had anyone in a professional capacity ever say that their IQ is XYZ and that they are a member of Mensa. If someone did say that, they would come across as a bit self-centred and even obnoxious.

I wonder whether it makes any sense to claim that women have a higher average IQ than men (or vice versa). Men and women have different mental strengths, so whether they do better or worse than men depends on how IQ is defined. I think the only realistic way of defining it is to declare that men and women have equal average IQs by definition, and devise IQ tests to reflect that.

Or we could just count the number of people of both sexes who follow utter crap such as X factor or Strictly Come Dancing, or follow the personal lives of celebrities, and let us draw our own (totally predictable) conclusions. :)

Edited by DrKrettin

I think the only realistic way of defining it is to declare that men and women have equal average IQs by definition, and devise IQ tests to reflect that.

I agree and this would be a great foundation to start with, to build an IQ test which would reflect the true level of overall "intelligence" in an individual. But I don't think that devising such a complex IQ test is remotely possible.

I wonder whether it makes any sense to claim that women have a higher average IQ than men (or vice versa).

No, it doesn't. That's why a lot of people have been making jokes about this thread.

IQs were originally intended to help find those who were struggling in their edducation so that they could receive additional help.

They are just about fit for that purpose- but probably nothing else.

"Finally, according to IQ expert James Flynn, women have closed the IQ gap and are in fact scoring higher than men, reports the Telegraph"

Does that mean women will surpass us men in dick lenght too?

Ever heard of a negative correlation?