Last cig at night - smoking cessation

StringJunky

I'm currently taking Zyban and due to stop smoking completely this coming Monday. I think I can handle the withdrawal in the day because it's not too hard to find something to do to distract myself but lying in bed at night when there's nothing but my own thoughts, before I fall asleep, might be a big challenge.

Anybody have any ideas how to deal with it? It might not be a problem because the Zyban should be fully working by then but I don't know how much yet it will attenuate the withdrawal symptoms. I'm trying to preempt the problem and be ready to deal with it if it turns difficult at that time of night,

I stopped "cold turkey" on 5 or 6 occasions . Each time I stayed off it a bit longer and the last time (obviously) I never went back.

Now I would be able to light a cigarette for someone else without worrying about trying a few extra puffs(it is actually a bit unpleasant at the very beginning anyway)

The big temptation with me was if I was having a drink as the two went so nicely together -even now I only drink with a meal.

As for your last thing at night ,you might consider having a sleeping tablet to hand on the nights when the craving is harder -hopefully you might only need to resort to that on a few occasions.

It is a great feeling when you do get off them eventually . It is not an easy thing to do.

As for your last thing at night ,you might consider having a sleeping tablet to hand on the nights when the craving is harder -hopefully you might only need to resort to that on a few occasions.

That's an idea but I doubt my GP would prescribe it in this circumstance, especially with Zyban having quite a bad press here for unpredictable side effects. My brother couldn't handle them but I'm not experiencing anything untoward at this point.

I've never been a smoker (not cigarettes, anyway :) ) so I don't have any 'real life' experience, but my suggestion is to make having a cigarette at night as difficult as possible. No cigarettes around the house, no cash around at night to buy cigarettes, leave your shoes with your neighbor so you can only get them in the morning, tell anyone close by that they should not give you a smoke upon threat of death, have someone lock you in your room if necessary.

We'll also expect updates every morning on how you did. You don't want to have to tell us you had a setback, do you? :eek:

That's an idea but I doubt my GP would prescribe it in this circumstance, especially with Zyban having quite a bad press here for unpredictable side effects. My brother couldn't handle them but I'm not experiencing anything untoward at this point.

I sometimes buy tart cherry juice .It is supposed to help sleep (not that I have a problem)

I doubt it would actually help you fall asleep any easier.

Being tart there is not much of a temptation to drink too much as juices are bad in the main I would say.

It is not cheap .(I don't think it contains very much sugar at all -none added anyway)

I've never been a smoker (not cigarettes, anyway :) ) so I don't have any 'real life' experience, but my suggestion is to make having a cigarette at night as difficult as possible. No cigarettes around the house, no cash around at night to buy cigarettes, leave your shoes with your neighbor so you can only get them in the morning, tell anyone close by that they should not give you a smoke upon threat of death, have someone lock you in your room if necessary.

We'll also expect updates every morning on how you did. You don't want to have to tell us you had a setback, do you? :eek:

There'll be no smoking paraphenalia in my place by next week. The people close to me know I'm stopping and support me. I have an NHS-trained smoking cessation advisor on hand who I'll be seeing every week. I'll give a running commentary on here for a bit.

On the subject of having a setback. My neighbour noted that when people give up and then have one, they give up on giving up, returning to their habit instead of treating it as a temporary blip.

Anybody have any ideas how to deal with it?

Are you re-budgeting the money saved? That's a great way to maintain, being able to point to some new monthly service or treat you get because you quit. I was going to say that planning how to spend that money might be a good just-before-sleep activity, but maybe not. Running numbers in your head might be bad.

Do you distract yourself by smoking just before you nod off? That's really dangerous. I'd be afraid I'd drowse off while it's still lit.

Or do you smoke your last one, then lay down? In this case, how do you distract yourself? Or is it easier to let your mind wander with a hint of a nicotine buzz going on?

Perhaps you should lie down and imagine all the good things that will be happening now that you aren't a poisoner any more.

Are you re-budgeting the money saved? That's a great way to maintain, being able to point to some new monthly service or treat you get because you quit. I was going to say that planning how to spend that money might be a good just-before-sleep activity, but maybe not. Running numbers in your head might be bad.

Do you distract yourself by smoking just before you nod off? That's really dangerous. I'd be afraid I'd drowse off while it's still lit.

Or do you smoke your last one, then lay down? In this case, how do you distract yourself? Or is it easier to let your mind wander with a hint of a nicotine buzz going on?

Perhaps you should lie down and imagine all the good things that will be happening now that you aren't a poisoner any more.

No, I don't fall asleep with a fag in my hand: too dangerous. I smoke in my living room but, on my advisor's suggestion I should only smoke outside for the rest of time that's left to help remove an association. One thing I have said to myself is that from Monday morning I am an ex-smoker and get that label fixed firmly in my head. I will be seeing my advisor the same morning and he'll be taking a carbon monoxide reading from me. It was 16 last week. Hopefully, putting as many support resources as I can muster in place will get me to the 'other side', like I did with recreational drug using.

.... Or is it easier to let your mind wander with a hint of a nicotine buzz going on?

Definitely need a full nicotine dose before sleeping; I think this time is where my demons will come out in full force and that's why I've asked the question.

Edited by StringJunky

One thing I have said to myself is that from Monday morning I am an ex-smoker and get that label fixed firmly in my head.

If you do this right, smoking simply won't be an option for you anymore. It won't be a door that gets locked, it will be a door that's torn out and bricked over, so opening it up again isn't even a possibility.

If the only difference in your going-to-bed routine is the last cig, I think you'll be fine. If you think you're going to lie awake wishing for that last smoke, you can come up with about a thousand reasons why you're better off. You should fall asleep smiling.

If you do this right, smoking simply won't be an option for you anymore. It won't be a door that gets locked, it will be a door that's torn out and bricked over, so opening it up again isn't even a possibility.

If the only difference in your going-to-bed routine is the last cig, I think you'll be fine. If you think you're going to lie awake wishing for that last smoke, you can come up with about a thousand reasons why you're better off. You should fall asleep smiling.

Inspired by your words, I shall think of concrete metaphors that will reinforce the notion that relapse is not an option. And I shall make a list of benefits for me to read when I'm wobbly.

When I would be craving food while dieting, my wife would often say "You are an adult, and it is not up to your stomach what you do and don't eat".

So in that vein, tell your cravings that YOU decide what you put in your body, and that they can go screw themselves. Get angry at your cravings for being such a dick to you and making your evening difficult.

When I would be craving food while dieting, my wife would often say "You are an adult, and it is not up to your stomach what you do and don't eat".

So in that vein, tell your cravings that YOU decide what you put in your body, and that they can go screw themselves. Get angry at your cravings for being such a dick to you and making your evening difficult.

A very short term strategy but I had also thought about autohypnosis a possible (also short term) supplementary method.

Being a shallow soul I would concentrate on how embarrassed I would be telling those I respected and loved that I had failed - it was a fear of failure rather than a desire for success that kept me clean. I relapsed massively at a party - but I was so blitzed that I didnt remember it and those who noticed decided to wait a week or so before telling me.

Do not give up on giving up - you are stronger than your cravings

Being a shallow soul I would concentrate on how embarrassed I would be telling those I respected and loved that I had failed - it was a fear of failure rather than a desire for success that kept me clean. I relapsed massively at a party - but I was so blitzed that I didnt remember it and those who noticed decided to wait a week or so before telling me.

Fairly sure that is what Churchill did too. But I cannot find a link to back me up.

I think the story goes that he told those around him that he had quit and so was unable to back track.

Getting through an addiction is a series of short term needs, so a short term strategy is ideal.

Yes ,I thought that too. But maybe you need a long term strategy as well . Before I finally quit I had actually "given up" for 3 years straight only to relapse (for a shortish time)

When I first started to smoke in my early teens I did tell myself that I would quit before I was 30 and so I had a motivation when the time come.

But it was harder than I expected.

Edited by geordief

I'm not big on broadcasting my weaknesses, but I think one should ask themselves if they'd be willing to make a general announcement, to make a big deal out of being brave & smart. If you aren't, it might not be the right time to quit. You have to watch out for back doors you may have unconsciously left ajar.

That won't work for me. I'm quite immune to embarrassment. I've embarrassed myself too many times already. :)

Yes, this needs to be my mantra.

Edited by StringJunky

As long as you view it as a test, and not a quit-for-a-bit-and-go-back, you should be OK. It's kind of weird though. It's great that you're excited, but I've never heard of anyone wanting a warm-up to stop anything. Most smokers would be smoking them like they weren't going to be available in a few days. I know I got sloshed the day before I quit drinking. I usually have dessert the day before I go on a diet, too.

This is hardly mardy behavior. You're really looking forward to this. Awesome.

Yes, I suppose my approach is somewhat unconventional but, perhaps, that's the Zyban influencing me. I don't feel stressed at all thinking about it. Monday to quit is written in stone but I thought I'd just do a day; a bit like going for gentle jog before the big race. Really, I could stop now; I'm just giving the Zyban a few more days to build up and also I want to stick with the program.

Edited by StringJunky

On my one day test: I think I need to give up coffee and tea until I've surmounted my habit; sat here writing this, the coffee is telling me I need a cig to go with it. There's something about the taste of the coffee without smoke mixed with it that I'm obviously missing. It's obviously a very strong trigger and I don't need the mental hassle from that bugging me. Several times this morning, my right hand spontaneously twitched to reach out for a non-existent cig; gives me an indication of just how habituated I am.

Edited by StringJunky

I'm currently taking Zyban and due to stop smoking completely this coming Monday. I think I can handle the withdrawal in the day because it's not too hard to find something to do to distract myself but lying in bed at night when there's nothing but my own thoughts, before I fall asleep, might be a big challenge.

Anybody have any ideas how to deal with it?

hi;

I recommend that you deal with social activities. for instance invite your friends (especially whoever you love them)

treat them very hospitably with some lovely words (compliments)

in my opinion thats will be just funny.

Edited by blue89