windows 10 advantage?

mathematic

For me at the moment a big minus would be that my graphics card is bust (kinda I glued it back together and it seems to be working OK) and if it wasn't it doesn't support Direct X 12. Then there is backwards compatibility problems with older versions of Direct X so some old video games won't work anymore (The pain of getting elder scrolls redguard to work). Also because Direct X 12 is used by the operating system you cannot uninstall to install an older version of Direct X without breaking windows 10. Also windows 10 has a new architecture to allow it to better use multiple core processors so if you have a dual core processor like myself you'll probably need to upgrade to a processor with more cores.

Edited by fiveworlds

I found the migration quite painless. The way you look for things is easier in 10; you just type it in the Start box. The continuous silent upgrading good; no more pain-the-ass major OS changes. You notice little upgrades and changes with some updates. Overall the feel is similar to 7. You might as well jump in; it's the future. It is more complete out-of-the-box with respect to essential apps.

The biggest negative is it is harder to override some default settings. Also it is more aware of your usage if you leave some settings at default. It does this so it''s apps can adapt to you and become more bespoke. I've had it since it came out and it is pretty invisible and intuitive in use. It's OK.

I have 2 pc's (desktop and notebook) using Windows 7. What are pluses and minuses for Windows 10?

The debian terminal is coming to Windows 10 soon, so 10 will finally bring a sensible console to Windows. Afaik, there are no such plans to bring it to 7.

Also, the default anti-malware stuff on Windows 10 is actually some of the better free anti-virus software out there at the moment.

Its free until the end of the month.

After that, you'll need to pay.

Recommend using the media creation tool from MS site for the download so that you can then install that to both of you systems.

Have it installed on 8 laptops, 6 all-in-ones ( would be 7 but gave one away ) and one 10" tansformer tablet.

I'm trying to figure out a way to do an 8" tablet ( no keyboard ) and 2 Acer netbooks using the Atom 2600 processor, for which Intel won't release a video driver.

A disadvantage of 10 is a well-known bug where it sometimes doesn't want to give you internet. Just Google the error on your phone. It's a simple enough fix; you just need to clear some registries and restart your computer.

The debian terminal is coming to Windows 10 soon, so 10 will finally bring a sensible console to Windows. Afaik, there are no such plans to bring it to 7.

Also, the default anti-malware stuff on Windows 10 is actually some of the better free anti-virus software out there at the moment.

Whats the debian console? Bash? Can it use tarballs and repo's? Windows specific repos? I dont like the sound of that.

If not what does it have? /usr/bin/ or w/e the binaries are for the terminal.

I quite like netsh and wmic on windows.

W10 didnt seem to have anything special. I dont know about security.

Whats the debian console? Bash? Can it use tarballs and repo's? Windows specific repos? I dont like the sound of that.

If not what does it have? /usr/bin/ or w/e the binaries are for the terminal.

I quite like netsh and wmic on windows.

W10 didnt seem to have anything special. I dont know about security.

Iirc, it's got a compatibility layer (like the opposite of Wine Is Not an Emulator), but I'm not sure what the extent of the functionality will be. For instance, I don't think it will have things like apt-get. apt-get will work.

The Linux terminal. It isn't new to windows I have it on windows 7 and it works fine unlike the mac versions could never get xcode working....

Is it the same? I know Windows has always had a command window, but afaik, the commands have always been different. While things like cd (Change Directory) are the same, things like pwd (Print Working Directory) are not the same in Windows.

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2016/03/30/run-bash-on-ubuntu-on-windows/

Yeh ive worked through unix, thats why im slightly confused. Is it the binaries like vi and pipes? Or full access to repo's?

I dont mind either terminal, i have bash on my phone with most bins. Not rooted though.

I haven't used it yet, but it's based on Ubuntu, so you should have access to the repos you can use in Ubuntu.

If security is an issue for you, then anything beyond windows 7 forces you to be connected. Ive had some very ugly experiences with hackers for some reason which I can only speculate about but I lost a tonne of work in the process, including multiple backups both local and cloud based. And a small fortune (to me) in trying to deal with the problem

Edited by TakenItSeriously

That is not really a Win10 issue per se, though. I assume that most people utilize their PC at least to some degree connected to the net. Other than that Win10 does not have (to my knowledge) significantly more or fundamental vulnerabilities compared to other win systems. Also, you can run it offline just fine. Obviously, online services won't work in that mode, but that is rather obvious and independent of the OS per se (it is just that Win10 comes with more net enabled/dependent applications).

That is not really a Win10 issue per se, though. I assume that most people utilize their PC at least to some degree connected to the net. Other than that Win10 does not have (to my knowledge) significantly more or fundamental vulnerabilities compared to other win systems. Also, you can run it offline just fine. Obviously, online services won't work in that mode, but that is rather obvious and independent of the OS per se (it is just that Win10 comes with more net enabled/dependent applications).

The thing about Windows now is that it is undergoing constant evolution which is evident month-to-month that occurs in the now silent updates; this contrasts with the quantum changes that occurred from one edition to the next every few years. It's development is also more quickly reactive to threats and locked down security-wise,which is a good thing for the Windows ecosystem collectively, although a pain for those that like more personal control.

• 1 month later...

I upgraded a win7 laptop to win10 just a few days ago.

I hadn't planned to activate win10 and the laptop had an educational version of win7 home premium.

I was going to re-load win10 at a later date and use the 'assistive technologies' free upgrade offer ( which is still doable ).

On a lark I decided to activate win10 using the win7 educational code and it worked.

Apparently MS is still allowing the free upgrade to win10 after Jul29.

I have already updated windows 7 to windows 10 and i think window 10 is better than window 7.

It is certainly way better than Windows 8.

To be honest, I wondered what you were talking about when you said this. But apparently it is a thing: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-receives-full-linux-command-prompt/

I use cygwin to get access to a lot of tools that are not readily available on Windows. It isn't clear that they will be available via this new compatibility layer though.