The LIGO interferometer - how do you get a signal?

swansont

I mentioned in another thread that we had a colloquium from one of the

LIGO collaborators. (He was one of the mirror coating people, not one of
the GR theorists). Afterwards, my colleagues and I were chatting, and one
asked an excellent question:

If the gravitational waves stretched space between the mirrors, doesn't
that also stretch the light wave as well? One of the explanations about
detecting GWs was that you couldn't just look at some object compared to a
meter stick (conceptually, and magnified many times, obviously), because
the meter stick would stretch just as the object did. You would never see
anything. So if the light stretches as the distance between the test
masses change, why does the phase of the light change?

IOW, what is the error in this thinking?

it is a good question.

One point I can think of is that the photons in the laser light will have the same energy in the two arms, the stretching of spacetime will not change their energy content so their frequency should stay the same, so do they get out of phase because the distance the laser has to travel in one arm changes compared to the other?

I found some really good sources when this came up before (on another forum, perhaps). The only one I have been able to track down again is this one: https://www.aapt.org/doorway/tgrutalks/Saulson/SaulsonTalk-Teaching%20gravitational%20waves.pdf

Aha. And this one: http://stuver.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/q-if-light-is-stretchedcompressed-by-gw.html

I found some really good sources when this came up before (on another forum, perhaps). The only one I have been able to track down again is this one: https://www.aapt.org/doorway/tgrutalks/Saulson/SaulsonTalk-Teaching%20gravitational%20waves.pdf

Aha. And this one: http://stuver.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/q-if-light-is-stretchedcompressed-by-gw.html

I made a very rough guess it was something to do with the arrival time to each section of the interferometer, which should be different because the SOG is finite. It is almost natural to initially assume, as I did, that the whole equipment would be 'wallowing' in the wobble at the same time, leading to no detection.

• 3 months later...

the obvious error in this thinking is that light can not be measured, which it surely can. If light is being projected between two spaces it will simply become more, therefore changes in ways than can be detected. if you were two move the two mirriors wider apart than it would take longer for the light phase to change. this is a simple project that doesn't need an in depth reasoning. Now if you are solely working on this portion of the project to aid in something greater lets say..... bonding light to certain compounds to cement a physical representation of an image this would be much more interesting.

actually this experiment was somewhat already presented in 1891 by nikola telsa which im sure could be related

the obvious error in this thinking is that light can not be measured, which it surely can. If light is being projected between two spaces it will simply become more, therefore changes in ways than can be detected. if you were two move the two mirriors wider apart than it would take longer for the light phase to change. this is a simple project that doesn't need an in depth reasoning. Now if you are solely working on this portion of the project to aid in something greater lets say..... bonding light to certain compounds to cement a physical representation of an image this would be much more interesting.

actually this experiment was somewhat already presented in 1891 by nikola telsa which im sure could be related

Word salad.

I may have read somewhere - or I read it wrongly, or I misinterpretated - that the interferometer is sensitive to a tidal effect rather than directly to the contraction and expansion.

Possibly something like: a portion of the light travels together with the gravitational wave and gets influenced for long, while the interference base experiences the change for a shorter time.

Ahum. Take with due mistrust.

IOW, what is the error in this thinking?

How exactly you interpret the effect of the wave depends on how you set up your coordinate system, but in the transverse traceless gauge the key to this is that the light traces out a geodesic in spacetime, whereas the constituent particles making up the arms of the LIGO setup do not, since they are part of a rigid structure. Furthermore, there are two perpendicular arms, and since a gravitational wave is quadrupole radiation, a passing wave will induce a phase difference since the two arms are effected differently.

One way to think of it is a time-varying Shapiro delay - while the coordinate distance the light has to travel remains constant, the metric ( =proper ) distance does not, so in essence you are getting a fluctuation in the coordinate speed of light along one arm of the setup, but not along the other ( due to the polarisation of the wave ). This is detectable.

If it stretches the space between the mirrors and also stretches the light beam, would being unable to tell the difference imply that stretching a light beam is indistinguishable from making the light travel faster than c to reach the other side at the same time? That just seems... off.

How exactly you interpret the effect of the wave depends on how you set up your coordinate system, but in the transverse traceless gauge the key to this is that the light traces out a geodesic in spacetime, whereas the constituent particles making up the arms of the LIGO setup do not, since they are part of a rigid structure. Furthermore, there are two perpendicular arms, and since a gravitational wave is quadrupole radiation, a passing wave will induce a phase difference since the two arms are effected differently.

One way to think of it is a time-varying Shapiro delay - while the coordinate distance the light has to travel remains constant, the metric ( =proper ) distance does not, so in essence you are getting a fluctuation in the coordinate speed of light along one arm of the setup, but not along the other ( due to the polarisation of the wave ). This is detectable.

Thanks. We eventually were able to hash out the right answer, though I don't recall exactly how we worded it.

The device has yet to be built that could measure how little I care about what you think.

I am not holding my breath. Still, interferometers have been around for a very very long time. And if there are physicists clueless about the workings of this device, it's honestly, laughable. If LEGO were about the size of my car, I wouldn't find that funny.

I am not holding my breath. Still, interferometers have been around for a very very long time. And if there are physicists clueless about the workings of this device, it's honestly, laughable. If LEGO were about the size of my car, I wouldn't find that funny.

It's OK that you didn't understand my question.

It's OK that you didn't understand my question.

You asked a crank question. An Oscar winning crank question. Your question is equivalent to asking why does a solar panel need sun? Or why does a swimming pool need water? See the error in that thinking? If the cranks over at LEGO have their way, they'd replace, LASERS with a couple of Kenyan runners. One runs north, one runs east. When they return one of them will let you know if a gravity wave hit him. Heh! In my opinion, you and your colleagues ought to have a week's pay deducted from your salaries for engaging in such crankery.

Honestly, your crank question belongs in trash, if not in speculation.

Kind regards,

Prof. Strawman

Edited by Professional Strawman

You asked a crank question. An Oscar winning crank question. Your question is equivalent to asking why does a solar panel need sun? Or why does a swimming pool need water? See the error in that thinking? If the cranks over at LEGO have their way, they'd replace, LASERS with a couple of Kenyan runners. One runs north, one runs east. When they return one of them will let you know if a gravity wave hit him. Heh! In my opinion, you and your colleagues ought to have a week's pay deducted from your salaries for engaging in such crankery.

Honestly, your crank question belongs in trash, if not in speculation.

Kind regards,

Prof. Strawman

I was having the conversation with my supervisor, so I'll have to pass this recommendation on to his supervisor. I'm sure he'll give your opinion all the weight it deserves.

!

Moderator Note

Professional Strawman - stop trolling. You are clearly here to provoke a disagreement and to insult the membership - and not for a substantive discussion of the physics. If you feel the level of interaction is beneath you then the answer is to look elsewhere not to attempt to belittle the level of discourse here. Do not respond to this moderation within the thread.

This post may be reported if there are concerns with this moderation note.

And everyone else DFtT